Author Topic: MSFS KLAX Menu  (Read 274 times)

Murf

MSFS KLAX Menu
« on: June 10, 2024, 06:28:56 pm »
I noticed something a bit strange in the GSX menu for KLAX. It lists the primary parking gates as in "Gate A... Gate B... Gate C" and so on... but KLAX has terminals and parking spots. I have NO idea where Gates "A..B.. C.. D..E..F.. G.." is or are. For example Southwest parks at Terminal 1... Delta at 2 & 3, American at 4 & 5, JetBlue and Spirit also at 5, Alaska 6, United 7 & 8.

I'm guessing GSX Gate A is Terminal 1, Gate B is Terminal 2.... and so on?? Can you re-label the menu, or confirm A is 1, B is 2, C is 3... ect??

Best Regards,

Murf
Senior Master Sergent (retired)

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: MSFS KLAX Menu
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 07:55:49 pm »
I had a quick look at it for you and compared it to the Google Maps satellite image, and I think I figured out what's going on. The ground markings have spots like 48A, 46A, 46B, and so on, but there's no way to list the parking as such, so if you're seeing something like A46, that would be for spot 46A. B46 would be for spot 46B. Gate 77, for instance, would just show up as gate 77 without a letter. Hope this helps.
Captain Kevin

Murf

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 08:15:06 pm »
Hey Kev... good to see you over here too!!!   ;D

You and are thinking on the same page.... that's almost scary!!  ;)  It rather threw me when I landed though...
Senior Master Sergent (retired)

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 11:00:19 pm »
I just had a look just for giggles, and it is as I suspected. However, P3D allows for the parking to be set up in a manner such that you select the terminal first, then the gate number, and the gates are named as they are supposed to (46A, 46B, and so on). If I remember correctly, MSFS doesn't allow for a custom naming convention for the parking position, so the same can't be done in MSFS, and it defaults to the naming convention in the AFCAD file for the airport, which is why you see A46 and B46 and such.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2024, 11:08:42 am »
I had a quick look at it for you and compared it to the Google Maps satellite image, and I think I figured out what's going on. The ground markings have spots like 48A, 46A, 46B, and so on, but there's no way to list the parking as such, so if you're seeing something like A46, that would be for spot 46A. B46 would be for spot 46B. Gate 77, for instance, would just show up as gate 77 without a letter. Hope this helps.

That's only valid for FSX or P3D. In MSFS, the parking naming system has improved A BIT (still limited), because there's a "Prefix" parameter which has been added to the parking name so yes, you CAN have 48A, 46A, 46B. Provided, of course, whoever made the scenery *used* that feature in the first place.

Still, you can't name terminals by numbers, they can only have "GATE" + a letter so, something which in real life is "Terminal 1 Gate 48A", could be named either "GATE A48A" or maybe GATE 148A" with the 1st digit representing the Terminal Number.

Of course, GSX with a custom airport profile, can fix all of this, and offer realistic naming, provide whoever made the profile used the Python customization feature, which allows renaming and regrouping of the parking, at least how they are presented in GSX.