Author Topic: GSX Stuck. Desperately Need Help  (Read 934 times)

JohnBradley

GSX Stuck. Desperately Need Help
« on: January 15, 2024, 05:55:56 am »
Here is what's happening:

It all started when I cloned a Samsung SSD 1TB Nvme2 to a 2TB Nvme2.

1.  I start the sim, loading at just about any airport.  I use the PMDG 737-800.
2.  I also use FS2Crew SOP1.
3.  When I start FS2Crew, the jetway moves.
4.  But the GSX menu does not open when the plane spawns.  I click on the GSX button and then click on the "Simbrief" button and get an "OK" with the ding.
5.  I wait for the airplane to power up before I call for catering.
6.  But...the catering truck never shows up.  All I get is "Catering trucks are on the way."  That goes on for the entire 25 minutes of the FS2Crew countdown.  Once I didn't request the caterer as it was a short flight and requested "boarding." 
7.  That time requesting "boarding," I never got the "crew yes or no" button.  It stayed like that until simply gave up and used the PMDG pushback and went on my way.
8.  When I do the "Restart COATL" and try to open the GSX menu, I get the spinning wheel and nothing happens.  No menu, no nothing.
9.  I remember with FSX and P3D, we used to get a dialog on the progress of COATL regenerating, but is there one with MSFS2020? 

My hardware is an Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0 with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.  I have 16GB of RAM and an Nvidia 3060 12GB video card.  So this machine can handle the sim and the add-ons.

I used the uninstaller from the "Live Updates" and removed the Virtuali folder from the APP Data files and reinstalled.  Same problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

John Bradley
AAL132

JohnBradley

Re: GSX Stuck. Desperately Need Help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 11:54:07 pm »
Reply to attach the Coatl_MSFS.ini file

Thanks!
John Bradley

Drumcode

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 12:09:08 am »
What's the version of GSX?

JohnBradley

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 01:12:24 am »
The most recent version according to the Live Update.

Thanks

John Bradley

JohnBradley

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 02:04:56 am »
Just double checked...

Version 2.9.1

John Bradley

JohnBradley

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 04:10:22 am »
I may have fixed it.

I did the uninstall from the FSDT Installer.  While trying to run that, I kept getting messages that the "World of Jetways" folder couldn't be deleted.  I went into File Explorer and removed that myself.

Then I used the Revo Uninstaller and removed all traces of FSDT.  After that I downloaded the Updater app from the FSDT website and installed on my SATA SSD.  Then installed GSX Pro on that same SATA SSD.  Took over 45 minutes before everything was installed.

Fired up MSFS and volia....everything works in GSX Pro.

PITA to fix...but since I wasn't getting any help here, I had to dig in and find a way myself.

John Bradley

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 11:38:42 am »
In your first message, you wrote this:

I used the uninstaller from the "Live Updates" and removed the Virtuali folder from the APP Data files and reinstalled.  Same problem.

Had you said you had that error, it would have been easier to figure out the problem and help you.

I did the uninstall from the FSDT Installer.  While trying to run that, I kept getting messages that the "World of Jetways" folder couldn't be deleted.  I went into File Explorer and removed that myself.

Then I used the Revo Uninstaller and removed all traces of FSDT.  After that I downloaded the Updater app from the FSDT website and installed it on my SATA SSD.  Then installed GSX Pro on that same SATA SSD.  Took over 45 minutes before everything was installed.

That was overkill and shouldn't have been required. The cause of the error was either:

- You were running the uninstaller when MSFS was either still running or in the act of closing, so it stil kept a lock over the folder, making it impossible to remove it.

- Your antivirus might have interfered, that's why we always say to add the whole Addon Manager folder to the antivirus Exclusions.

It would have been enough to restart Windows and run the normal uninstall/reinstall from our installer, and it would have fixed the issue just the same. Now, what was REALLY the cause?

It all started when I cloned a Samsung SSD 1TB Nvme2 to a 2TB Nvme2.

This might have caused the problem in the first place.

Depending how the cloning process works or is configured (and if the drive letters changed at any time during the process), it is possible it affected the Symbolic Links we set in the Community Links to the actual install folders in the Addon Manager\MSFS folder.

It's not assumed that cloning a drive would always keep the links intact or working exactly as they were before, most backup software has option how to deal with links, either following them, ignoring them or recreating them, which are all different things.

If the problem were just the link, it would have been enough to Unlink/Relink from the FSDT Installer. OR, remove the link manually from the Community folder AFTER the cloning, and just "Relink" in the FSDT installer.

JohnBradley

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 12:33:44 pm »
Thanks for replying Umberto.

One thing this process did is show me how many moving parts there are in the software...truly amazing.

It might have been a pain to figure it out, but I learned something.

Thanks for what you do... can't wait to see the passengers seated!

John Bradley