Author Topic: Ability to disable PMDG fuel/payload integration  (Read 1128 times)

Darewell

Ability to disable PMDG fuel/payload integration
« on: November 28, 2023, 03:37:16 pm »
Hello,

Since the last PMDG update we are able to uplink fuel and payload natively from Simbrief without the need of GSX.

In order to avoid having GSX erasing the values already set by the PMDG itself, could we get a setting in GSX allowing us to disable the PMDG integration?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ability to disable PMDG fuel/payload integration
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 05:21:53 pm »
In order to avoid having GSX erasing the values already set by the PMDG itself, could we get a setting in GSX allowing us to disable the PMDG integration?

Please clarify: you are using Simbrief and, you are getting different values between what GSX set and what PMDG set? How, exactly ?

Darewell

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 05:45:38 pm »
I’m not receiving different values (except the minor fuel excess added by GSX) but my point is there is no need for GSX to set up the values that the PMDG already uplinked from Simbrief through the UFT.

Wouldn’t be possible to make the PMDG integration feature optional in GSX settings?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 08:16:53 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 08:22:39 pm »
Wouldn’t be possible to make the PMDG integration feature optional in GSX settings?

If GSX is setting the correct values, which is of course the most important thing, such an option would only result in users wondering why the integration doesn't work, if they forgot they used it.

In addition to that, automation is also required to help with the refueling, which without it would require to first set a quantity lower than planned if it's already higher, now GSX takes care of that.

Better than a GSX option, since the UFT is an optional equipment that might not necessarily enabled on a given airframe, we might use the same method to get the class configuration for the loaded airframe, and disable the automation automatically if the UFT is enabled.

Darewell

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 09:01:35 pm »

If GSX is setting the correct values, which is of course the most important thing, such an option would only result in users wondering why the integration doesn't work, if they forgot they used it.

In addition to that, automation is also required to help with the refueling, which without it would require to first set a quantity lower than planned if it's already higher, now GSX takes care of that.

Better than a GSX option, since the UFT is an optional equipment that might not necessarily enabled on a given airframe, we might use the same method to get the class configuration for the loaded airframe, and disable the automation automatically if the UFT is enabled.

I totally understand your point, a lot of people don’t read the manual and don’t take the time to verify their settings before complaining.

Your idea is smart though I imagine some users may have the UFT enabled without using the W&B uplink feature.

It would be possible maybe to show if the PMDG integration is enabled near the Simbrief status icon in the GSX menu, but I admit it may become a mess if you have to do that for every feature.

Anyway, thank you for your continuous work, I know it’s complicated to satisfy everyone. I think I’ll stick to your PMDG integration and won’t use the W&B UFT uplink.

peteregan

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 01:09:12 pm »
I’ve found that the gsx and the PMDG ZFW are pretty much the same, probably based on the simbrief ZFW, with only small loadout differences which could affect the CG.. Therefore you can still use the new PMDG integration and GSX together, the  PMDG import could be thought of as the flight plan estimated weights to do route setup etc and when GSX pax loading updates those weights that could be thought of as the final loadsheet. As long as you do the fmc performance calculations AFTER GSX has uploaded (using ‘import airplane data’ in the EFB) you’ll have the correct v speeds, trim setting etc. as far as I know this is how it’s done in real life.  I don’t use GSX to upload fuel so not sure about any implications of that.

Darewell

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 03:38:18 pm »
I’ve found that the gsx and the PMDG ZFW are pretty much the same, probably based on the simbrief ZFW, with only small loadout differences which could affect the CG.. Therefore you can still use the new PMDG integration and GSX together, the  PMDG import could be thought of as the flight plan estimated weights to do route setup etc and when GSX pax loading updates those weights that could be thought of as the final loadsheet. As long as you do the fmc performance calculations AFTER GSX has uploaded (using ‘import airplane data’ in the EFB) you’ll have the correct v speeds, trim setting etc. as far as I know this is how it’s done in real life.  I don’t use GSX to upload fuel so not sure about any implications of that.

Yes they both are based on the last Simbrief flight plan, as you said the payload distribution may be different. About the fuel, GSX adds a little more on purpose.

I like your way of seeing things, it makes sense. In real life, during the CDU preflight procedure pilots input the planned ZFW, and update it during the before start procedure with the final value, after they received the final loadsheet.

To make it even more realistic GSX could even add a variable to take account of passengers not showing up… I think that’s what the Fenix does with her final loadsheet (but it has been a long time I have not flown her so I may be wrong)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 03:41:02 pm by Darewell »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 03:52:46 pm »
I've came up with this solution, which should cover most cases:

When you call GSX Boarding and it's time for GSX to set the Payload, it will check the current ZFW and, if it's already very close to the planned one (I'm using a 10 kg threshold tolerance), the automation will be skipped, so it should cover all cases where the Payload has already been set, either because you used the EFB, or if you entered it manually. The only thing that might be tweaked, if it's ok to use 10 kg as a threshold to decide if the Payload is already set, to trigger skipping GSX setting the payload.