Author Topic: 2.8.3 update is really slow  (Read 3680 times)

topcat_1952

Re: 2.8.3 update is really slow
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2023, 10:27:34 pm »
Been running the update since 7 AM EDT. Just saw this and now understand why its taking a long time. So, I stopped the update. The release notes still indicate the .2 as the latest so, thanks to your explaination, I'll check tomorrow and see if the .3 is ready.
I have a morning routine where I run all my MSFS add-on apps (PMDG, iniBuilds, Contrail, ORBX, FBW, Aerosoft, etc. as well as FSDT installer) so I was not aware of this process. I'll know better now so thanks for the enlightenment.  :)

downscc

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2023, 11:17:37 pm »
This is unexpected.  I get a message that says the server is down for maintenance please check later.  Doesn't make sense that an update 2.8.3 appears as available AND the UPDATE button is active if there is neither an update nor a server to deliver it.  It's 06/2215Z and I've been checking back later every couple of hours since maybe 1600Z.

Nah... it's broke.

pete_auau

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2023, 12:42:28 am »
This is unexpected.  I get a message that says the server is down for maintenance please check later.  Doesn't make sense that an update 2.8.3 appears as available AND the UPDATE button is active if there is neither an update nor a server to deliver it.  It's 06/2215Z and I've been checking back later every couple of hours since maybe 1600Z.

Nah... it's broke.
nah iit ant  broke  no issues  at my end

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2023, 01:16:50 am »

Nah... it's broke.

Nothing is "broke", of course and, the message is there precisely to indicate that.

The reason for the message is to prevent users from starting an update when it's not safe to do so (while a new one is still being uploaded), which is an obvious improvement to the previous version, where you were supposed to check the release notes and don't update until you see the updated ones.

NOW, the updater itself is taking care of that, so you are no longer supposed to know that, and you won't risk starting an update when it's not safe to do it.

WebMaximus

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 01:31:39 am »
Great you took care of this so quickly!
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2023, 10:11:37 am »
2.8.3 is out now.

WebMaximus

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 10:51:32 am »
Worked like a charm 👍
Richard Åsberg

PleasemakeanillegalUturn

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2023, 01:07:17 pm »
Seems like a pretty backward updating system if you release updates in the installer and then we have to go and manually check the release notes (wherever they are) before we can update without breaking GSX.

This is not made very clear in the purchase/install process. Perhaps adding a note to the installer with a link to the release notes to make it clearer would be better as it seems to have affected a lot of others.

Never come across an installer that makes patches available before they're "safe" to download.

rhys1573

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2023, 01:10:32 pm »
2.8.3 is out now.

In future, I think your customer base will appreciate a more streamlined update service. When the Installer says there is an update, the vast majority are going to update the software there and then, and then maybe go and look at the release notes. I've have never seen an update release on software in which you need to refer to the changelog to see if its stable before actually downloading the update. However, it's nice to see that users will now be informed that the update is meant to be downloaded at this time!

WebMaximus

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2023, 01:45:24 pm »
My understanding is Umberto already addressed this odd behavior so shouldn't be a problem going forward.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2023, 01:59:55 pm »
Seems like a pretty backward updating system if you release updates in the installer and then we have to go and manually check the release notes

the vast majority are going to update the software there and then, and then maybe go and look at the release notes.

None of these comments applies to the current version because, quoting from the 2.8.3 release notes:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

FSDT Installer/Updater Change: When the update server is in maintenance, updates won't be performed, and a message will alert users about this, suggesting to come back later when the update has been completely deployed.

And from my last post as well:

NOW, the updater itself is taking care of that, so you are no longer supposed to know that, and you won't risk starting an update when it's not safe to do it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 02:01:32 pm by virtuali »

timothyj6767

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 03:15:00 pm »
well..the website is faster...:)

WebMaximus

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2023, 03:21:15 pm »
well..the website is faster...:)

Noticed this too 🙂
Richard Åsberg

timothyj6767