Author Topic: Issues with Loading  (Read 1472 times)

nikolatr

Issues with Loading
« on: April 24, 2023, 06:20:02 pm »
Hi,

I tried today to start Gsx but there was issue and recorded video:

https://youtu.be/W-Y3UVWaZWw.

I was able to add a stand and come out of Script mode, it still did not show me options in Gsx menu.

I have just uninstalled (from defaul folder set as Progroma files (x86) and re- installed it my Add- ons folder on external memo drive as advised. There were previously multiple issues where either various Couatl script msg.s were diplayed or circle was running indefinitely..I did shut off it in Task Manager.

I am just now experiencing the same prob. as when installing it before, that it is stuck-- pl. see attached. Why is it showing me location of Community folder at the bottom as C:, I cannot understand it...??

Please advise.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 10:38:27 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Issues with Loading
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 10:51:37 am »
I have just uninstalled (from default folder set as Progroma files (x86) and re- installed it my Add- ons folder on external memo drive as advised.

Who advised you of that ? And how you did it ? Installing on an external drive is possible, but there are some things to be taken care of:

- If your external drive is formatted as ExFat, you CANNOT install GSX there, because it needs to create Symbolic links to the Addon Manager folder into the Community folder, and the ExFat system doesn't support them so, the ONLY way to use an external drive for the Community folder, is format the drive in NTFS, which is the native Windows filesystem. Most external drives ship formatted as ExFat, so they can be used on PC, Mac and Linux without formatting, but that means you are not using the full capabilities of each OS. NTFS offers better protection against file corruption, and this is particularly important on an external drive, which can lose power simply by disconnecting the cable.

- How you moved the Community folder to the External drive ? The one and only method that works is moving all files from BOTH the Community and the Official folders into a new folder on the external drive, for example D:\MSFS ( assuming the drive is called D: ), so you'll end up with this:

D:\MSFS\Community
D:\MSFS\Official

Once you done that, you must edit this file:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.OPT

Go to the LAST line, and change it as such:

InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS"

This again assumes you placed your Community and official folders there, as in the previous example.

This is the OFFICIAL method to have the whole MSFS Content (both Community and Official ) on a different drive than the one the core program is installed to. Any other method you might have been read about, like creating shortcuts to the Community folder is wrong, it's an hack and will never work correctly in all situations. And this has also the advantage of saving you MORE space on the main drive, because it moves both the Community and the Official folders. There is a reason why is the official method...

After you fixed your MSFS installation this way ( External drive formatted to NTFS and Content moved in the correct way ), first TEST if MSFS works correctly ( if it doesn't, it's because you did something wrong ) and if it does, you can reinstall the FSDT Installer again, and it will show the new destination for the Community folder, and will surely install GSX correctly.

nikolatr

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 10:59:46 am »
Hi, Umberto,

Ty very much on clarification.

Right both Official file was copied, but one think I forgot...There were multip updates and installations of Msfs since, so I need now to re- copy whole content of Off. from C: to D:, not just create a link..

That may explain some instabilities I had w/ Phoenix plane.

Correct, I found put that drive is Exfat so thatswhy it did never started re- installation of Fsdt. Am awaiting on my hard drive to come back from retrieval to transfer data, b4 I cna format it to Ntfs and loose all data from it.

No, I did neither do a change in tha specific file.. so tx on reminding me for it, as well.

nikolatr

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 10:17:50 pm »
I installed it on D: disk, but during boot of Msfs am gettin scanned error message and then another one- unsusre if 2nd is related to it.

Please advise.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 11:51:28 am »
I installed it on D: disk, but during boot of Msfs am gettin scanned error message

That message indicates you manually edit the Couatl_MSFS.INI file, and made some kind of error saving it, most likely you edited with the wrong text editor, or without paying attention to its encoding.

It can be fixed by simply removing the file:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl_MSFS.INI

and then another one- unsusre if 2nd is related to it.

That 2nd error doesn't belong to GSX.

nikolatr

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 12:00:40 pm »
So, even yesterday after posting and before I saw your today's reply... I have ediated log file to have only one line as stated in Manual:

The file should contain a single line, like this:
logFile=”couatl.log”

by deleting the 2nd line. Then re- started Msfs, and the error was present..

Are u referrin to that I cna simply delete that .ini file? Although I do not have any of Msfs on C; drive as it was moved on external drive will make sure if any remnants of Addon Mgr. were somehow left on C:- to delete them all together,

Fresh instalment yest. was done to C: drive, as D: is exFat status, of course. Last line in file was changed, as instructed.

Once I had my replacement drive, will transfer it and then format drive D: so it's Ntfs.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 12:09:48 pm »
So, even yesterday after posting and before I saw your today's reply... I have ediated log file to have only one line as stated in Manual:

It doesn't seem you read my reply in its entirety.

Fact you edited the line and it "looks" correct, doesn't guaranteed the file is correct, because it depends which program you used to edit it, and how it was saved, since the error suggest a file encoding problem, as if you saved the file with the wrong encoding, due to your Windows language. However, all text editors usually have options to decide which encoding to use to save files, you should use plain ASCII.

But again, it doesn't really matter: as I've said, you can just remove the file, you don't need it, until you have ANOTHER problem for which you need to enable logging.