Author Topic: Default jetways in 3rd party addo-on NOT replaced  (Read 2049 times)

MrMicheleS

Default jetways in 3rd party addo-on NOT replaced
« on: October 18, 2022, 04:24:12 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a "problem" may we call it like this.
I noticed that GSX is not replacing jetways in LIBD by SuperSonic, I do clarify that eventho is an addon it uses defual jetways but eventho I enabled the jetways service in the FSDT Installer and excluded it from the other excluded 3rd party sceneries installed when I get in the sim the jetways there are the MSFS default ones.

I noticed that installing another add-on that only changes defualt jetways, the jetways in the same airport mentioned above get the new visuals model. I'd like to use the GSX Jetways for this scenery as well and not using this other add-on.
According to you why does GSX not replace this default jetwasy?

Thanks in advance to anyone who will be able to help me or join the conversation.

Michele

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Default jetways in 3rd party addo-on NOT replaced
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:28:44 am »
As explained in many other threads, GSX jetway replacement should only be used on DEFAULT airports, and if you have a 3rd party airport, it should always be Disabled in the GSX Config panel.

This is not dependent by the addon usage of the default Asobo model, because we don't replace that one.

The issue is, jetway replacement in GSX is not made by replacing the Asobo model but, instead, through a set of pre-made 918 .BGL files, which replace jetways individually for each default airport that had a jetway in the default scenery, that's the only way to have individual jetway models, instead of a "changed" Asobo model that would have look identical everywhere.

The reason why these Jetway replacement files only work with default airports, is because jetways are associated with a specific parking spot (otherwise they won't work ) so, if you have a 3rd party airport that will likely have different parking spots, possibly named differently and in different positions compared to default, having the GSX replacement file active will cause problems like not working jetways or double parking spots in the Map.

That's why the GSX installer will automatically look for 3rd party airports in the Community folder and will Disable them automatically, provided their package matches the standard developer-airport-ICAO-name naming convention, and will do that every time you run an update.

If you have a scenery whose package doesn't match that naming standard, or you never ran the FSDT Update after you installed it, the GSX Jetway replacement file won't be added to the Disabled list, so you will see GSX Jetways there, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so because, while they will surely look better than default, they won't likely work, either because their position changed, but more likely because the parking names might have changed.

Basically, unless you have a very rare situation of a 3rd party airport that has parking spots named *exactly* and in the *same* position as the default one, with its own jetways ( custom or default, doesn't really matter ) placed in *exactly* the same position as the default one, you should always Disable the GSX Replacement file.

MrMicheleS

Re: Default jetways in 3rd party addo-on NOT replaced
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:12:39 pm »
Hi Umberto,  :)

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Everything is clear, couldn't be clearer :D

Cheers, and keep it up with the good work!

Michele