Author Topic: Manually setting anti-pop ups in cfg  (Read 4384 times)

DJJose

Manually setting anti-pop ups in cfg
« on: February 05, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »
My cfg is optimized perfectly and would like to manually control what is changed.

If I understand it, pop ups can be eliminated by increasing an anti pop up slider. Can you please tell me what lines does it add to the cfg and what the numbers mean?

I really like these airports and I want to be a strong supporter of fsdreamteam. The idea of lowering the textures is a good one but I don't see a bat file that works with fsx. Why not? Is it too much work?

I'm a customer who just wants the most value for my money. I didn't buy these airports on sale. I would really like to see smoother texture loading in KFLL & KJFK without affecting my entire flight sim experience.

Thanks.
Jose
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:01:52 pm by DJJose »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Manually setting anti-pop ups in cfg
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:00:50 pm »
My cfg is optimized perfectly and would like to manually control what is changed.

There's nothing "automatic" to the Addon Manager setting that affect the FSX.CFG. If you just open the page, it will simply SHOW what you already had in your FSX.CFG. It will NOT change anything on its own.

If you change a slider, nothing will be written back, unless you press the button to save settings.

If I understand it, pop ups can be eliminated by increasing an anti pop up slider. Can you please tell me what lines does it add to the cfg and what the numbers mean?

That line is inside the FSX.CFG, but it's not read by FSX, becuase it's in a section that FSX doesn't know anything about. It's a setting that is relevant ONLY to FSDT sceneries and only the Addon Manager will make any use for it.

There's no need to manually change it in the FSX.CFG: a value of 10, which is the maximum you can set from the Addon Manager user interface, should make a lot of difference already. You need to act on the FSX.CFG only if you want to set it more than 10. Which is already a lot: every object in the FSDT sceneries, will have a loading range increased by 10x. However, if you *really* want to change it manually, it will work, just look for the antipop setting in FSX.CFG.

Setting higher than 20, will not make any difference because, the scenery has a global loading range in any case so, even if you tell it to load objects a 100x their range, they will not be loaded before the scenery enters in range so, the absolute maximum is the general scenery range, which usually change (depending on the scenery) from 7 to 10 nm.

I really like these airports and I want to be a strong supporter of fsdreamteam. The idea of lowering the textures is a good one but I don't see a bat file that works with fsx. Why not? Is it too much work?

I already explained why, in FSX, changing the textures size doesn't change much, because it's an issue relevant to FS9 mostly. We just made an experiment, and the result simply confirmed that, on FSX, there's no reason to lower the texture size.

Which, as I've already said, can be resized even from withtin FSX itself, by lowering the Max texture size slider one notch. Which doesn't obviously mean you have to keep it this way. IT'A TEST!! If you don't see much improvement by lowering that slider, you will not see any by resizing the textures either.

I'm a customer who just wants the most value for my money. I didn't buy these airports on sale. I would really like to see smoother texture loading in KFLL & KJFK without affecting my entire flight sim experience.

You are confusing here the Anti-pop, which might improve stuttering, with textures size. They are entirely different things.

Lowering the textures size is, as I've said already, useful ON FS9, because FS9 is not very efficent in loading hires textures without stalling the cpu.

Increasing the Anti-pop slider, instead, it's an FSX-only setting, and has obviously drawbacks because, by increasing it, you'll lose distance optmization so, the frame rate will be lower at high settings. At low setting the frame rate might be higher, but there will be more chances for stuttering. This means, the higher settings will require a more powerful system.

AND, it's NOT the same on all systems. THAT'S why it's a settable parameter! Just try it, and see if it makes any difference on your system. The Anti-pop up value DOES NOT require to restart FSX, its effect is immediate.

What I really don't fully understand, it's the whole point of this question: there's a setting, you can experiment with it, why don't you simply TRY IT ?

As I've said, the texture resizer is not very useful on FSX. And, not just "because I've said it", but because we TRIED IT, see the discussion in the KFLL thread.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:55:10 am by virtuali »

DJJose

Re: Manually setting anti-pop ups in cfg
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:34:54 am »
Umberto,

Thanks for all your help.