Author Topic: Cannot download GSX keeps running into connection errors.  (Read 1415 times)

masterthehero

Cannot download GSX keeps running into connection errors.
« on: August 28, 2022, 10:26:16 pm »
While some folks have been lucky to have been able to download GSX. I have not been able to download the program at all with the exception of the installer. I have no manual, no instructions, and no information as to collect log files.

If I click on FSDT Live Update I get the:  The updater cannot connect to the internet. This is usually caused by a firewall/antivirus. Please disable it and run the FSDT Live Updater again from the Desktop, to be sure to get the latest files.

Same issue when I run the FSDT installer.

When I run the FSDT Universal installer, I get "The operation has timed out downloading http://update.virtualsoftware.com/setup/couatl.md5

Then dorwnloading file C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\fsdreamteam-gsx-pro.zip.003

The operation has timed out downloading http://update.virtualsoftware.com/setup_msfs/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro.zip.003 trying mirror server.

Judging from the log it looks like it attempted to download from several mirrors and failed on each one.

I know GSX is having some growing pains right now, but I'm hopeful the bugs will be ironed out. In the meantime, I would really appreciate this downloading issue being fixed. Otherwise I'd have to request a refund and I don't want to do that.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cannot download GSX keeps running into connection errors.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 10:29:53 pm »
There not much we can do if your local connection has issues connecting to the cloudflare network. You make it sound as if just "some lucky folks" were able to download it, but I assure you it's not the case, nobody reported a complete lack of connection like you have so far.

Where are you located ?

masterthehero

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 11:30:29 pm »
I am located in the United States. To be fair, I have reported a similar issue to the PMDG forums because I cannot update my planes or liveries using their PMDG application. However, I am only experiencing these issues with GSX and PMDG.

This is not something I have encountered using the typical services such as Microsoft Store, Steam, Origin, Ubisoft, etc. etc.

I also don't tend to touch my firewall settings so there's no advanced networking firewall to troubleshoot. I am just using standard microsoft defender software with Verizon provided equipment.

My computer is directly connected to the router.

I am pretty good with technical stuff but networking is a bit beyond my knowledge. I even added the executable to my firewall exceptions and it still is not allowing me to connect.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 11:35:09 pm »
I suggest trying a VPN. This one is highly regarded (well, it's Swiss...), and it's free with very few limitations:

https://protonvpn.com/

masterthehero

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 11:45:56 pm »
My apologies, but I don't believe I should have to use VPN for software downloads. I understand it's common for people to use it, but this issue is not widespread enough to warrant installing a VPN. If I was having issues with other services and websites I would consider it. But as of right now the only issue is with PMDG and GSX.

I suppose I can ask on Reddit if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to troubleshoot, but I don't really want to start using VPNs for two applications. My concern is that this is a symptom of a missing TLS security certificate and this may affect more users in the U.S. I could be wrong of course, but GSX only recently released.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 01:45:28 am »
My apologies, but I don't believe I should have to use VPN for software downloads.

Well, you should.

A VPN is one of the most useful tool you can have in your PC. The internet is more complex than it seems and, sometimes problems can't be solved by the site you are connecting to.

A real world example: sometimes I need to connect to a website that hosts a remote database but, if I do it using my normal connection (which works everywhere else), the response time is incredibly slow. That's because to reach the server, it takes a route that passes through some hosts that don't work well or don't even respond, so it tries different routes adding so many hops to it. It does manage to connect, but it's very slow, with a latency that is not usable to do actual work.

I tried everything with customer support of that site, they couldn't reproduce the problem and nobody reported it before. So, as a last resort, I tried a VPN and, like magic, even if I used a VPN node in the SAME country I'm in ( Switzerland ), just because there was a VPN in between, it took a very different route to reach the server, and instead of minutes of lag, pages loaded instantly.

You don't have to keep using the VPN constantly, just turn it on when you need it.

My concern is that this is a symptom of a missing TLS security certificate

Surely not, considering you are not downloading from our server directly, but from Cloudflare, and I can assure you SSL/TLS are both enabled on our domain.