Author Topic: GSX menu not opening (or only opening when clicking on it ten times)  (Read 3074 times)

Emi

So I gave GSX a second chance.

On my first flight after the installation it worked almost fine - with the known bugs.
However to open the GSX menu I needed to click on the icon 5 or 6 times until something happened.

Then I shut down the sim, restarted and did another two flights. This time however the menu did not open at all when I clicked the icon in the toolbar in MSFS.
I could click it as often as I wanted, the GSX menu didn't open.

I'm opening a new topic for this one as there is another topic where however Umberto suspects that GSX may not have installed correctly, which is certainly not the case for me because it did work on the previous flight and literally nothing changed in between. The sim was shut down and restarted straight away again.
Best regards,
Emanuel

jgoggi

Re: GSX menu not opening (or only opening when clicking on it ten times)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 10:28:52 pm »
I do confirm that the GSX menu is a bit "lazy", only after 2-3 clicks it appears (not 10 times in my case)...
James Goggi

Adnanso

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 01:49:33 am »
+1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:58:08 am »
GSX Manual, Pages 66-67 has some explanations on why the menu is "lazy", what's the difference between "menu closed with active icon" and "menu closed with inactive icon", and why sometimes the menu closes itself, and sometimes it stays open.

The menu works like this, because it was the only way to fit with the GSX interactivity, when many times a menu requires a further choice, in some cases later, and this doesn't fit well with the design of the Toolbars, which were more supposed to be something that you open and keep it open to do something, and close it when you are done.

It works with an fairly complex interaction between WASM, Javascript, Python and C++, because all the actors involved needed to find a way to replace to crucial functions from the Simconnect SDK, that is the creation of choice menus on the fly ( the Simconnect menu ), and short text messages, which we had to tie to the tooltip system.

It would be so much better if only the SDK allowed Simconnect apps to call functions of the Javascript/Coherent framework. If they allowed this, applications would be way more responsive and interesting, and stand-alone WASM modules would start to do incredible things, instead of being just dummy slaves for client applications that need to access the Gauges API remotely, which they need, because WASM is so limited you can't do any serious stuff with it, so it need to push out features only it can access, to external applications that are doing the real job, since they have access to the complete Windows APIs.

Emi

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 08:30:10 am »
So far so good Umberto. But as I wrote: My Menu does not open AT ALL. Not even with ten clicks.

Please provide guidance.
Best regards,
Emanuel

jgoggi

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 09:03:28 am »

It works with an fairly complex interaction between WASM, Javascript, Python and C++, because all the actors involved needed to find a way to replace to crucial functions from the Simconnect SDK, that is the creation of choice menus on the fly ( the Simconnect menu ), and short text messages, which we had to tie to the tooltip system.

Congratulations to Asobo for creating a beast that is all but "addon friendly"...
James Goggi

avantime

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 09:35:24 am »
So far so good Umberto. But as I wrote: My Menu does not open AT ALL. Not even with ten clicks.

Try downloading and installing this:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26480.msg175194.html#msg175194

First time GSX menu won't open even with Couatl opened, I installed this and now the GSX menu works.

Emi

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 11:21:23 am »

Try downloading and installing this:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26480.msg175194.html#msg175194

First time GSX menu won't open even with Couatl opened, I installed this and now the GSX menu works.

Going to try this. The strange thing however is that on flight #1 it worked and then one #2 and #3 it didn't. So technically speaking I doubt there's something wrong with the actual installation.
Best regards,
Emanuel