Author Topic: Tug wheels sometimes turn in the wrong direction...  (Read 1320 times)

Ankh

Tug wheels sometimes turn in the wrong direction...
« on: August 19, 2022, 05:06:20 pm »
Are you aware of this "phenomenon" or did it slip your attention? For certain pushback tugs, it seems that the wheels of the tug turn left if the tug is doing a right turn and vice versa. For others, it is spot on and the wheels turn in the correct direction when doing turns...

concordeag

Re: Tug wheels sometimes turn in the wrong direction...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 05:09:54 pm »
It's like that since 10 years  8)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 05:26:00 pm »
It's like that since 10 years  8)

It can't be the same because, while we always used our own custom steering system, for MSFS we use the default steering of the sim for the first time.

Ankh

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 09:25:10 pm »
And what is now the answer to my question? Bug or SDK issue?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 09:31:37 pm »
And what is now the answer to my question? Bug or SDK issue?

That cannot be the same. Might have different bugs, since the default steering might not be exactly aware of a fully custom external motion, but it's convenient and more lightweight to use, since it requires less commands from our site.

Ankh

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:55:15 pm »
So, do you gonna do something about it or do we just have to get along with those pushback trucks where the wheel steering is exactly opposite to what it should be? Looks rather silly to be honest...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 10:04:57 pm »
So, do you gonna do something about it or do we just have to get along with those pushback trucks where the wheel steering is exactly opposite to what it should be? Looks rather silly to be honest...

They don't move "exactly opposite" to what they should be. Sometimes, their steering is a bit behind the path, so it might seems but, but the overall direction is correct.

Ankh

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:41:27 pm »
If you call this a "little bit behind", well then... (Minute 33.35 onwards)

https://youtu.be/zS1GgL68_FY?t
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:26:33 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 02:29:05 am »
The only part I found a bit bad was around 3:15, when there was some zig-zag so yes, the wheels where behind the actual path. As I've said, it's matter of trying to agree with the simulator own steering, which requires a "future" heading, which is better for coarse paths, but less so for more tight movement like the pushback.

Ankh

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 09:38:32 pm »
Ok, then you are simply blind... at minute 33:35, the tug turns left but the front wheels are turned fully right...

concordeag

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 12:10:45 am »
Ok, then you are simply blind... at minute 33:35, the tug turns left but the front wheels are turned fully right...
there won't be a fix.... as said in my previous post, since 10 years some wheels are pointing into the wrong direction, i choose to ignore it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 02:23:54 am »

Exactly as I've said, it's lagging behind, which in that particular moment case results in in an "opposite" direction, you only see the results, I gave you the REASON and I already confirmed we'll look into it, we just need to find a way to adapt our internal calculation of the steering, with what the new MSFS default steering method expects.

And that's also why is wrong saying "it's the same as before". No, it's not. It can't be, because the steering method is completely different now, but our calculations aren't we just adapted to work with the new system, because it's better than FSX/P3D's and that's precisely why we'll have a better chance to improve it, because it will probably stay with us for years.