Author Topic: MSFS 2020 and GSX  (Read 2700 times)

Rusty Gunz

MSFS 2020 and GSX
« on: October 02, 2020, 07:56:49 pm »
Hi,

If there is already a thread addressing this question, please just point me to it, otherwise ....

Any updates as to the status of an MSFS 2020 version of GSX?  I am already tired of the MSFS 2020 default ground services and want my outstanding GSX app back and operational!

Please advise.

Ken in Kansas

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: MSFS 2020 and GSX
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 08:02:48 pm »
Captain Kevin

Rusty Gunz

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 10:41:58 pm »
Thanks, Cap'n.  I had seen the announcement a few weeks back but was hoping there was some additional information available.  Apparently not.  ::) I'll just have to be patient, along with the other umpteen hundred of us anxiously awaiting our GSX services.

Ken in Kansas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:03 pm »
We have been explained here and in other places too we ( and other umpteen hundreds of 3rd party developers too ) are waiting for Asobo to complete the Simconnect implementation in MSFS to be at least on par to the FSX one, since many functions are not working right now, and this makes impossible to have GSX working.

We have been laying out all the preparation work, for example rewriting the Couatl engine in 64 bit, and we already have a version that works as a native MSFS application, but without those missing functions fully working, GSX ( and many other utilities and airplanes too ) cannot work, since we don't have a way to create a menu, or a way to create and control Simobjects.

Once Asobo will fix Simconnect, having the full GSX working will be reasonably easy.

Jesus

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 12:03:06 pm »
Hello
A year ago of this publication and MSFS2020 has improved its SDK and SIMCONNECT a lot. We have some news that can tell us about this?
Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 12:42:42 pm »
A year ago of this publication and MSFS2020 has improved its SDK and SIMCONNECT a lot. We have some news that can tell us about this?

I don't know where you read Simconnect has "improved a lot". The SDK as a whole surely has, but Simconnect hasn't changed much, and it's still missing exactly the same features we were missing back then which are:

1) the ability to temporarily interecept keys/buttons in the sim and prevent the sim to get them ( event masking, currently still not working ).

2) all the menu/text functions which are used to create the in-game menu, used by so many add-ons.

About #1, we recently got word from Asobo they don't want to add that feature as it was in FSX, because they fear of add-ons causing conflicts between them and/or the sim and, instead, are considering a completely new approach, since they DO realize the ability to do that is required for doing add-ons other than the simplest one which you can find right now.

Some popular add-ons ( not just GSX ) used a full event masking ( you press a key/button and the sim won't get it, even if it's normally assigned ) used it to allow, for example, full keyboard input in an FMC keyboard, so you could just type instead of clicking buttons. While this might not be *stricly* necessary for a traditional FMC, think about an real A350/A380, which use a FULL sized PC keyboard as input method: without event making, an user would be required to click on the 3d keyboard, when he could just use the real keyboard in front of him, which is really silly. That's why event masking is required to create serious add-ons.

About #2, nothing is telling they'll ever bring those features back so, we are currently using a custom menu to do our tests but, we are thinking a completely new and more immersive approach, which might not even require opening a menu to begin with.

But that's besides the point, in addition to the lack of features in Simconnect, we still need to do a complete update of all models in GSX, especially human characters, which can be made so much better in MSFS, and that takes time, more than it took on FSX/P3D, because the detail level is higher and the modeling must be on par.