Author Topic: New f-18 hud dimmer ?  (Read 7512 times)

skimmer

New f-18 hud dimmer ?
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:43:02 am »
I'm not able to dim the hud as I could with the default. I had to add lines in panel config for sonic boom and I'm wondering if I screwed the pooch, or if anyone can dim. The additional lines went in the Windows section and in Vcockpit1.
                                                                                      Thanks for any help. :)

neutrino

Re: New f-18 hud dimmer ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:32:51 am »
There is no brightness or dimming feature in the new HUD. So your HUD is working normally.

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »
Thanks neutrino,and what a great job on this project. It adds a lot of realism when using with Ai2 and Javiers pack.  ;D Even when not. The next best thing would be to have communication with carrier when on approach,like in the fsx mission.

neutrino

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »
Thanks :) There was actually a website that offered such mission at the cost of couple of cents per trap - with scripted LSO grading (may be even LSO calls during the approach) and results sent to a ranking board on the site. However the site is down for at least a couple of months, and I never got the chance to try out the mission. The site is Topgun Simulations. The guy behind it was an actual LSO and F-14 pilot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:18:32 pm by neutrino »

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »
Are there any Mission Designers out there reading this who would know if it's possible to use the LSO elements of the Carrier Practice Mission and make them work with the AIcarriers2 addon?

Orion...you reading this?  ;)
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

skimmer

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »
Right on voodoo old freind ;D You gonna try it?

Orion

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
Yep, I'm here :P.

The mission system and the AICarriers2r2 addons are completely different.  Larmont Clark's utility uses a Java implementation of SimConnect to place the carriers as AI vehicles.  SimConnect is very versatile and you can use it to get a lot of data from the simulation and also control the simulation in certain ways (e.g. place AI vehicles).  Missions, well, use the mission system so they can be loaded by the simulator :P.  A mission can load things such as AI vehicles (e.g. the carrier), triggers, goals, areas, scenery and what not.

I haven't read through the whole carrier tutorial/practice XML too recently, but if I recall correctly, the LSO in the default mission is just a series of recordings, conditional statements, areas and triggers.  I'm not too sure how that'd translate into an external SimConnect application, though.  I suppose it's possible, but it would be pretty different and a lot more complicated.  Well, maybe not that complicated, provided you know a .NET based programming language (e.g. VB.NET or C#).

Anyways, to answer your question, not really, you'd have to reprogram it completely.  And without the source and permission to edit AICarriers2r2, it'd need to be separate too.

Edit: By elements, what exactly do you mean?  If you're talking about the audio, suppose so, but wouldn't there be copyright/license issues?  If you're talking about the code/logic, see above :P.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:05:06 am by Orion »

Razgriz

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 12:41:19 am »
Yep, I'm here :P.

The mission system and the AICarriers2r2 addon are completely different.  Larmont Clark's utility uses a Java implementation of SimConnect to place the carriers as AI vehicles.  SimConnect is very versatile and you can use it to get a lot of data from the simulation and also control the simulation in certain ways (e.g. place AI vehicles).  Missions, well, use the mission system so they can be loaded by the simulator :P.  A mission can load things such as AI vehicles (e.g. the carrier), triggers, goals, areas, scenery and what not.

I haven't read through the whole carrier tutorial/practice XML too recently, but if I recall correctly, the LSO in the default mission is just a series of recordings, conditional statements, areas and triggers.  I'm not too sure how that'd translate into an external SimConnect application, though.  I suppose it's possible, but it would be pretty different and a lot more complicated.  Well, maybe not that complicated, provided you know a .NET based programming language (e.g. VB.NET or C#).

Anyways, to answer your question, not really, you'd have to reprogram it completely.  And without the source and permission to edit AICarriers2r2, it'd need to be separate too.

Edit: By elements, what exactly do you mean?  If you're talking about the audio, suppose so, but wouldn't there be copyright/license issues?  If you're talking about the code/logic, see above :P.

Could you do this for your mission?  Doesn't seem to be impossible, have a box that goes 3/4 mile out and if hes out of this box, the LSO starts talking according to it.

Orion

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 01:06:44 am »
Could you do this for your mission?  Doesn't seem to be impossible, have a box that goes 3/4 mile out and if hes out of this box, the LSO starts talking according to it.
It's not impossible, probably pretty easy in fact.  Anyways, I could have, but I decided not to.  I wanted to be able to have a player be LSO if they'd like to.  Also, one of my goals was to keep it as close to a normal non-mission multiplayer session as possible.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:04:52 am by Orion »

skimmer

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:17:27 am »
Well thanks for looking into it Orion. Maybe you or someone in the future will make the addon .

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:23:47 am »
By elements, what exactly do you mean?

Yeah, the specific "elements" being whether it's possible to pinch the idea of mission trigger areas to call up the appropriate LSO voice files, and make that usable in an AI situation.

But good info from you, Orion. Thanks. On analysis the idea doesn't sound quite so practical. Ach well, no harm in throwing pebbles in the pond and seeing where the ripples go, eh? :D
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

Orion

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:40:27 am »
Well, using a method similar to what the mission uses could be used in an application I suppose.

For example, one could simulate the RectangleAreas that the mission uses by getting the carrier location and doing some math on it, then storing it as a variable.  When the user passes through ± some distance from the point (or doesn't), it could bring up audio or something.

Still, as I said originally, the LSO logic would have to be reprogrammed completely and I don't know who would want to work that all out (basically replicating what the mission does for the LSO, but using SimConnect in a .NET programming language).

Anyways, no problem, and yeah :).  I wouldn't think it would be practical either, unless A LOT of people want it :P.