Author Topic: Unable to activate/Couatl not running/Live updater issues  (Read 1605 times)

tom-ay

Unable to activate/Couatl not running/Live updater issues
« on: October 04, 2021, 08:34:49 am »
Much like a few people out there encountering this issue on the forum, I have already attempted to troubleshoot accordingly to the admin reponses. I've disabled Windows defender and firewall completely and even added the Addon manager to the exclsuion list. I have also added the updater files to allow itself through the firewall but to no avail. This is all from a fresh install of P3D V5.2 and GSX bundle. All installs have been ran as adminstrator and opened as such. I've also constantly received this message on the FSDT Live updater after reinstalling GSX countless times. Attached below is a screenshot of the message. GSX is also not showing in the addon tab of P3D which I'm assuming the root of this issues is because Couatl is not running.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
Tom

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Unable to activate/Couatl not running/Live updater issues
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 09:23:32 am »
Your problem is completely different than anything discussed here, and it was obvious from the text of the error message. 

The problem is you, or something you installed ( likely a crack for something ), has made the "hosts" file in Windows not accessible anymore.

Changes to the hosts file sometimes are made by cracks for software that requires activation to prevent the activation server to be contacted and, to counter these cracks, the activation software needs to check the hosts file and, eventually, clean it up to allow the activation server to be reachable again in order to verify a license. And, to counter these counter-cracks, there are cracks that made the hosts file locked out to read, in the useless attempt to prevent the program to even know of the hosts file has been modified. Useless because, of course, if the updater can't even read the hosts file, it assumes it was tampered with and won't proceed.

The damage that crack you must have installed ( possibly even for software that doesn't have anything to do with us ), is quite extensive, because now you can't even read it yourself.

Here's a tutorial how to get back access to your hosts file:

https://www.technipages.com/windows-access-denied-when-modifying-hosts-or-lmhosts-file