Author Topic: RETRO Airline Jetway logos  (Read 2406 times)

garyghostrider

RETRO Airline Jetway logos
« on: April 28, 2021, 01:33:59 am »

Quote from: virtuali on September 12, 2018, 04:34:01 AM
It would be really helpful if you could just make a list of which logos you would like to add, and in which airports this is used.

For us, is *extremely* easy to add a new logo, because we have a fully automated build system that creates all the configuration files (no, it's not user friendly, it's 100% command line, but it works for us)

Reposting Here because the GSX Backdoor posting isn't very active-

Umberto-

Any chance that custom Retro airline logos could be added to the jetway logo selection menu for us "older" simmers who remember airports and airlines from the 60's 70's, 80's and up through today..??.I'd be glad to work up the custom texture files but I can't get GSX2 to include them as an option in the jetway logo menu as I am running FSX/Acceleration..I don't know the syntax or .cfg files that need to be altered for this to happen. I have tried "painting" over existing texture files but GSX2 only displays the original....
Sure would appreciate this if it is possible to do..Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: RETRO Airline Jetway logos
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:15:35 pm »
I have tried "painting" over existing texture files but GSX2 only displays the original....

Please explain exactly what you did, so I can tell you what you did wrong, because this is surely the easiest option for FSX.

With P3D 4, it's extremely easy to add a custom texture to GSX.

garyghostrider

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:36:03 pm »
 I opened the existing GSX_logo_4x1.dds file for Delta Airlines and using DxtBMP converted it so that PhotoShop could edit it.I put a retro logo on a layer over the existing one...saved it back into the same folder (Addon Manager/texture/handling/texture.DL) in the same DDS DXT5.dds format 1024/256 as it was. Opened GSX2 and tried to use the modified texture file on a jetway. Selecting DL from the jetway logo menu I still get the default texture. When I view the texture in DxtBmp it looks modified but not when in use by GSX2/FSX. I noticed the file is a read only so perhaps that is why the change is not recognized by GSX2  ??? Does my modified texture file need to be copied into a "main" folder so that GSX2 sees it??
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:38:36 pm by garyghostrider »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 09:36:44 pm »
I noticed the file is a read only so perhaps that is why the change is not recognized by GSX2  ??? Does my modified texture file need to be copied into a "main" folder so that GSX2 sees it??

Assuming you are referring to this file:

Addon Manager\texture\handling\texture.DL\GSX_logo_4x1.dds

It's surely not read-only, the only possible reason I can think of why it is on your system, is that you tried to edit it while FSX was still running or you are checking it while FSX is still running. Be sure you are doing all edits when the sim is surely closed, and be sure you are not saving in another format or creating another copy of it.

garyghostrider

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 12:38:59 am »
 I have checked this file in Dxtbmp several times when FSX is not running and it shows as being in the original DDS DXT5 format and 1024X256 size. I will .zip the file with the original file I backed up for comparison and attach it to this post.

Interesting note...I downloaded the .zip file from my post and the file appears unchanged and looks like the original..It is only when it is in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\texture\handling\texture.DL when I access it in DxtBmp it appears modified.
 ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 12:51:45 am by garyghostrider »

garyghostrider

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:42:39 am »
  Finally Successful!!
 I had to create a texture file from scratch 1024x256 in Photoshop. Saved it as a .psd file to my desktop...Opened it in imagetool and saved it as a .BMP file with the filename GSX_Logo_4x1.bmp. Opened this file with DxtBmp and saved it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\texture\handling\texture.DL file as a DDS DXT5.dds file...Works like a charm in GSX2/FSX. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 10:20:12 am »
Opened it in imagetool and saved it as a .BMP file with the filename GSX_Logo_4x1.bmp. Opened this file with DxtBmp and saved it

These two steps are not required.

Imagetool is perfectly capable to save a DXT5 .DDS file directly. But before you can do that, you must change its format to DXT5 with the Image->Format menu in Imagetool, then you can save it as a .DDS.

garyghostrider

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 08:42:11 pm »
 Yes, I discovered that Imagetool is capable of saving files in DD5 format eliminating the need to convert again through DXtbmp. Thanks for your help and suggestions!! I enjoy using GSX2 very much and retrofitting my airports with retro logos.