Author Topic: No exclude radius checkbox at FlyTampa EHAM  (Read 2793 times)

Flying Dutchman

No exclude radius checkbox at FlyTampa EHAM
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:25:59 pm »
I want to replace the default jetways at FlyTampa EHAM by SODE jetways, but I don't see the exclude radius checkbox on the GSX customization page (see screenshot).

I studied the manual on this subject thoroughly. I read the post (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=18372.msg127769#msg127769) and viewed the instruction video (that uses FlyTampa EHAM as example!!), I read other posts on this subject and saw instruction video's on YouTube. But I don't see the checkbox. I tried with one of 5 bgl files (south) and the allround bgl.file (allrunwaysopen.bgl), but that doesn't make any difference. Why don't I see this checkbox, whereas it can be seen in your instruction video about FlyTampa EHAM?

I apologize for not having found the answer on this forum (if it should be there).

Hans Hartvelt
The Netherlands

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No exclude radius checkbox at FlyTampa EHAM
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 12:02:19 pm »
but I don't see the exclude radius checkbox on the GSX customization page (see screenshot)

I can see it right there, in the screenshot you posted. It's just the menu has way more options now compared to the one in the video tutorial, so the "Jetway Exclude Radius" check box has been moved up to make space for other options, but it still works the same.

Flying Dutchman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 09:45:27 pm »
Umberto, thank you very much for replying.

You're right. When I look closer I do see the checkbox at another spot in the screen. Because the tutorial video's that I saw showed the checkbox at the bottom of the screen, I haven't look further and concluded that there was no checkbox.

So making an exclude file seemed a piece of cake now, but not. I got an error message (see screenshot). The compiler was searching for a .bgl file in stead of a .xml file to compile to a. bgl file.

Nevertheless, I could make a new jetway on page Jetway 1. But because the default jetway is still there also, I now have two jetways. The only action I can take is to select 'no jetway' on the parking page. Then the new jetway is not visible anymore, there's only the default jetway that also still works. I also have removed the exclude.xml file.

I'm afraid I made a mess of the scenery. :-[. How can I restore the original situation and how can I make a correct exclude file?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:10:42 am »
Nevertheless, I could make a new jetway on page Jetway 1. But because the default jetway is still there also, I now have two jetways. The only action I can take is to select 'no jetway' on the parking page. Then the new jetway is not visible anymore, there's only the default jetway that also still works. I also have removed the exclude.xml file.
The exclude jetways doesn't touch the jetways for third party scenery. With the FlyTampa EHAM scenery, if you go into the scenery folder, there should be something like jetways.bgl (I don't have access to my computer at home, so don't remember the exact name), move that out of the scenery folder (I would just leave it in the main EHAM folder, that should get rid of it.
Captain Kevin

Flying Dutchman

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »
Hello Kevin, thank you for replying.

The exclude jetways doesn't touch the jetways for third party scenery.

That's strange. In their 'how to replace default jetways by SODE jetways' instruction video, Vituali uses FlyTampa EHAM as an exemple how to accomplish this. And that's exactly the airport where I want to replace the jetways. So I see your suggestion as a useful workaraound. Thanks for that anyway.

With the FlyTampa EHAM scenery, if you go into the scenery folder, there should be something like jetways.bgl (I don't have access to my computer at home, so don't remember the exact name), move that out of the scenery folder (I would just leave it in the main EHAM folder, that should get rid of it.

I found 3 files regarding jetways:
ft_jetwayLib.off
ft_jetwayLib.LOD.bgl
jets_static.bgl

The second one concerns the manoeuvrable jetways and the third one the static jetways. I renamed them both .off. And yes all jetways are gone. I choose a nice new one and implemented that one on all exits.

So I realized what I wanted, however in another way. Thanks again for helping.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:56:58 pm »
So making an exclude file seemed a piece of cake now, but not. I got an error message (see screenshot). The compiler was searching for a .bgl file in stead of a .xml file to compile to a. bgl file.

I don't understand that error, nobody ever reported it before. Try to remove both the XML and the BGL from the Fsdreamteam\Exclude and Fsdreamteam\Exclude\Scenery folders, and do it again. The XML is created after you act on at least one "Exclude Radius" checkbox so, to force it to recreate it again, click twice, then press Apply to save the changes, exit the sim, WAIT for it to close, open the GSX Control Panel and see if you have an .XML file waiting to be compiled and compile it.

Flying Dutchman

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 02:27:25 pm »
Umberto,

Very friendly of you to reply, but as you can see in my reply to Kevin, I have already found a workaround:
Rename ft_jetwayLib.LOD.bgl > ft_jetwayLib.LOD.off. The manoeuvrable jetways don't show up.
Rename jets_static.bgl > jets_static.off. The static jetways dont show up.

Start P3D (P3D5.1 in my case)
Open GSX customize airport position.
Check the checkbox 'exclude jetway radius'. Neccessary in order to be able to select a new jetway later on.
Apply. Compiling is not desired.
Select all airport positions with jetways (77).
Select a new jetway, suitable for the EHAM bridges. No bridge (default).
Apply.
Quit GSX customize airport position.

Now I have replaced the default jetways at 77 airport positions by a new, better working SODE jetway. Unfortunately, I had to do this 5 times, because FlyTampa EHAM has 5 .BGL files (4 wind directions and 1 for all wind directions).

I understand that you would like to have more insight in my error message, but I hope you will understand that I will not change my customization again, now I have the situation that I was aiming at.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 10:34:18 pm »
Now I have replaced the default jetways at 77 airport positions by a new, better working SODE jetway. Unfortunately, I had to do this 5 times, because FlyTampa EHAM has 5 .BGL files (4 wind directions and 1 for all wind directions).
Unless you are constantly changing the runway configuration, why are you even doing this. I'm more so wondering why you're constantly changing the runway configuration in the first place.
Captain Kevin

Flying Dutchman

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 02:37:48 pm »
Unless you are constantly changing the runway configuration, why are you even doing this. I'm more so wondering why you're constantly changing the runway configuration in the first place.

Hello Kevin, good question. Sometimes you are doing things without realizing anymore why you do them. It's a routine that I execute for many years, originally intended for preventing AI aircraft to use runways that don't meet the wind directions of that moment and therefore cause chaos at the airport. I remember that using this routine, the chaos was over.

But due to your question I was rethinking about this routine. I use a third party ATC add-on (VoxATC) that control all AI aircraft. So why should they use runways not in use? So I decided to execute an experiment. Set the surface winds at 260 degrees, 10-20 knots. Logically runway 27 should be used for departing traffic and runway 24 for arriving traffic or the other way around. This is what I noticed. ATIS stated runway 27 as departing and arrival runway. When I use tower view / have a look on my moving map, I can see that all departing and arriving aircraft are using runway 27.

So, you're totally right. There is no need at all to change AFCADS and indexing for each flight. Thank you very much for this wakeup call.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 04:54:51 pm »
I've never used VoxATC, so I don't know how it works. I normally fly on VATSIM, so at that point, the runway configuration is irrelevant because the only other traffic around is other people who are flying, so they go where they want.
Captain Kevin