Author Topic: Scenery and plane freezing  (Read 1389 times)

Rikypara

Scenery and plane freezing
« on: December 17, 2020, 11:39:15 am »
Hello Umberto,

I’m pretty sure that GSX is not the cause but maybe you can help me finding the right way to fix this kind of problem as I’m not really expert in this.
I use FSX, the problem happens randomly sometimes If I restart at the same point happens again others not.
When I start to board (or disembark) passengers, not flight/cabin crew, I start to hear “good morning welcome on board/goodby”, few seconds later the plane and the entire scenery becomes like shaded or black. Basically I still see the cockpit or the surrounding but everything looks black, it seems without any texture (like a skeleton). Then  it continues working in this way and maybe a minute later or so it stops.
I have working FSX (with FSuipc autosave), AS16 and FSlabs A320. It happened during boarding/disembarking in Malpensa Aerosoft scenery (normally on gate 501/510) or Naples Aerosoft stand 14.
I don’t use other planes or other programs in the sim.
Hope I can get your help directing me in the right way to fix this problem.
Best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Scenery and plane freezing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 10:10:12 am »
When I start to board (or disembark) passengers, not flight/cabin crew, I start to hear “good morning welcome on board/goodby”, few seconds later the plane and the entire scenery becomes like shaded or black.

Yes, of course it's not a GSX problem.

You are likely running out of VRAM, or you are getting close to it. Or it's just FSX with its ancient graphic engine that cannot handle VRAM properly. Note that, FSX is a DirectX 9 application, with a very buggy DirectX 10. Both engines are considered obsolete by now, and graphic drivers are not really optimized or even tested for it so, it's possible that updating your video drivers might even make things worse, and I assume in the near future no DirectX 9 application will likely run correctly, because drivers and hardware are optimized for DX11/12, which are entirely different ( explanation how much is too long ).

The only things you can TRY are:

- Reinstall the video drivers doing a CLEAN installation, and don't apply any tweaks

- Delete the FSX.CFG file and apply ONLY the HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak, and nothing else

But the real solution, with your configuration ( AS, FS Labs, GSX ), would be just ditching FSX and switch to P3D, which runs all of these infinitely better, being a DirectX 11 ( P3D 4.5 ) or a DirectX 12 ( P3D 5 ) 64 bit application that can use your memory way better, instead of being limited by being a 32 bit application like FSX.

Note that, due to the fact FSX is 32 bit, and a 32 bit application cannot see more than 4GB IN TOTAL ( this includes RAM + VRAM ), the more VRAM your video card has, the worse it will be, because VRAM is mapped inside the VAS space in DirectX 9 so, the memory problem is worse the better your video card is.