Author Topic: Marshaller Shows Overshoot Everytime  (Read 2530 times)

light_blue_yonder

Marshaller Shows Overshoot Everytime
« on: May 05, 2020, 01:44:17 am »
Hello everyone,
     I usually GSX with the VDGS systems, and only recently started exploring the marshaller options. I ran into an interesting problem at the end of my flight to Cancun. This attached video will explain everything much better than I can in words.

As you can see in the video, I was pulling in at 1-knot ground speed. I physically cannot go any slower, yet the marshaller keeps the batons parallel and then go immediately from crossed to the overshoot signal. Is this a known problem in GSX? A setting that I haven't found? Or is it just that my reaction speed is way too slow?
     If this is indeed an issue, is there a fix coming or a workaround?
     Thanks in advance!

Update: further testing shows that it's only a problem with this particular marshaller. I can follow a multitude of other marshallers' directions in this exact parking spot. In fact, I come up a little bit short on some of them. So I'm proposing that this is an animation issue where the batons-crossed animation should begin earlier and have a bigger zone of tolerance.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:11:53 am by light_blue_yonder »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Marshaller Shows Overshoot Everytime
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 02:12:58 pm »
The speed is not really the problem, it's just you must stop when the batons are the closest. We'll have a look at that particular marshaller to see if we can improve it to make it easier to understand when.

light_blue_yonder

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 02:02:19 am »
Thanks for the reply! I understand that part. Let me rephrase this; I didn't describe it clearly enough in the original post.
What appears to be the issue:
This particular marshaller closes the baton right as the nosewheel arrives at the line, so by the time the user reacts, the nosewheel has already overshot.
Why this is an issue:
The other marshallers fall into two categories. One type is where they have a continuous animation from open to fully crossed, making it possible to predict the stopping point. This marshaller keeps the batons parallel to each other for around a meter of nosewheel movement, making it impossible to predict when it'll cross. The other type allows for a bigger tolerance for the stopping position, where if I go slowly enough, I can end up stopping half a nosewheel diameter short of or past the line and still get a valid parking.
How I propose to fix it:
1. Create a bigger tolerance in stopping zone for this marshaller, where a slight overshoot won't trigger the "overshot" gesture.
OR
2. Bring a continuous transition from batons parallel to fully crossed, making it easier to predict.
I have no idea how to code, so I don't know which one is easier to do.

For anyone else reading, this is NOT what I consider a fatal flaw in GSX, I still recommend the product. There are multiple marshallers in the software, and the chances of getting this particular one is not very high; even more so considering that VDGS will be used for a lot of gates as well.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:59:52 pm »
Note that, we have the Marshaller distance readout indicator, which can be enabled precisely to remove any doubt about what distance GSX expects from you.

light_blue_yonder

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 05:10:39 am »
Understood, and yes I am aware of that. I turn it off since I make videos for my school flying club, which is also the reason I decided to point out the problem. If I'm just flying for my own entertainment only, I wouldn't even have minded that problem and just waited for someone else to notice.  :P For me, that readout option was enabled by default when I installed GSX, which is perfect for newcomers as well.
Thanks! Looking forward to the next update!

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 11:21:16 am »
Note that, we have the Marshaller distance readout indicator, which can be enabled precisely to remove any doubt about what distance GSX expects from you.
Yes, but it's not entirely realistic to have the distance readout above the marshaller's head, either.
Captain Kevin

light_blue_yonder

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:03 pm »
Yes, but it's not entirely realistic to have the distance readout above the marshaller's head, either.
Precisely. Still, it's a nice option to have and can be disabled too.
I'm currently working around the problem by stopping outside the gate and reload the marshaller until I get someone that isn't this model. Only had to do it once so far.