Author Topic: Sode unavailable cannot test jetway resolving error  (Read 6327 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Sode unavailable cannot test jetway resolving error
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:57 pm »
I would like to kindly ask you to stop making assumption or provide "evidence", when you don't know how GSX works, how SODE works, how the connection between the two works and the constant work we have been doing, even as we speak, with SODE author trying to understand what's going on.

NOBODY is "blaming" anybody, you are getting all wrong, really. As I've said, multiple times, the ONLY thing that has changed in the GSX update you have right now is SODE.

That doesn't obviously mean I'm saying SODE it's at "fault", but I'm sure something must have changed, possibly to fix other issues and we think we found it and, again, it's something that is different now, since we think to have FOUND why it happens and, as I've said (multiple times), it's happening in a part of code we haven't changed, and always worked.

So, either you already had this problem, or something else must have changed in how you are testing.

Obviously, we already found a way to fix it but, since it would involve changing a code that always worked for years, before publishing it, we are asking to Jeffrey his opinion about this, because it can probably done even more efficiently, with a SODE update that would include an additional function it NEVER HAD, which would prevent being confused when a jetway that is being tested is being moved.

Again, you don't really know how the two work together, so it's really useless explaining this in any more detail but, I'll repeat it again, to prevent this from happening, we would both require to make a (small) change in a part of GSX code that USED TO WORK ( your words ) AND we'll likely require another SODE update as well.

I could offer proof but, unfortunately, it won't help much for you, not knowing how GSX+SODE really work together but, just as a sign I'm not blabbering BS, try this:

To test a jetway, instead of using the "customize Jetway" button, use only the "Customize Parking" button, don't try editing the jetway itself, but test it when you are editing the PARKING ITSELF.

and never once did SODE connection disconnect error on final approach

Now you are getting me confused. This thread was about the Jetway TEST function. That's all what I'm talking about.

Not that we changed ANYTHING in GSX during the approach. I think I already said quite clearly what has changed in the latest GSX update: nothing that can possibly have anything to do with SODE.

DVA12924

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:38 pm »
I do know that on airports that come with their own SODE, you must test the jetway from the parking position, not the jetway itself while in edit mode. If that’s all that had to be done, you could have stated earlier or even put that in the release notes. I understand how programs work and communicate with each other. Please don’t assume my level of intelligence. Secondly, it’s how it was perceived when you said that is an “issue (I’ve) had all along” - that does not indicate that you were able to find a code that had always worked and now doesn’t so the issue was lying dormant in the code itself, it seemed more like you were saying that I have always had a disconnect error when testing a jetway from the jetway edit and just never said anything about it until now.

Since I haven’t done another flight since April 18 (haven’t been able to edit my next destination due to unable to verify jetways will connect while editing) I cannot say for certain at this moment if SODE disconnecting on final approach to the 1 flight I have done was a result of this same code, or a result of SODE attaching to AI. I do know that once I landed and called GSX to activate my assigned gate I got an error message about jetways not resolving but everything else GSX related worked correctly. Of course I couldn’t see the passengers because there was no connected jetway.

I will try as you suggested to test the jetway connection from the parking position editor and report back. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 12:15:54 am »
I do know that on airports that come with their own SODE, you must test the jetway from the parking position, not the jetway itself while in edit mode.

That's not really relevant here.

If that’s all that had to be done, you could have stated earlier or even put that in the release notes.

We found out only TODAY! As I've said, for the umpteen time, it's something in a part of the GSX code that hasn't changed since quite a while. Only SODE is new so, what reason we would have to suspect a problem, considering we haven't changed *anything* in the released code related to jetways.

We are working on it, to add AI support, and that's why we are doing many tests NOW, but none of these changes has been released in public yet.

I understand how programs work and communicate with each other. Please don’t assume my level of intelligence

Intelligence doesn't obviously have anything to do with this.

You don't know, and you cannot possibly know, because you cannot possibly have seen the GSX code. It's not the general "method" I was referring to, they obviously connect through Simconnect, but you cannot possibly know exactly what GSX does and why, for example, it behaves differently when you test when editing a Jetway or when you test when editing a Parking. Are you able to answer this question ? Obviously not, that's why you cannot possibly know.

it seemed more like you were saying that I have always had a disconnect error when testing a jetway from the jetway edit and just never said anything about it until now.

Only because I wanted to believe your report you said you never had a problem with the Test jetway function. I also NEVER had a problem with it, since I know the GSX jetway code hasn't changed ( you cannot be sure, I am ), then the only possible explanation left, is that something in SODE must have changed. Maybe to fix OTHER problems but again, the lack of the TEST function has been found just these days and, even if we would be aware before release, it still doesn't seem reason enough to not relase for P3D V5, it's not as if you constantly test jetways...

That doesn't obviously mean it will not be fixed, because it will surely will, but it's not something you cannot fly without it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:26:58 am by virtuali »

DVA12924

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 12:33:41 am »
If I’m going to fly to an airport, I’d like for it to have all the functions I’ve paid for - customizable working SODE jetways and visual passengers. As I have said before, I DO test every single jetway for an airport prior to flying to as to ensure that once I arrive, I will park in the correct position, the vehicles will be in a position to not interfere with the surroundings, and the jetways will connect. I do this by taking the parking size from the AFCAD and exporting it over to an excel file I have that then tells me from the fleet of aircraft I fly the absolute largest aircraft that will fit in that spot and then load the aircraft, check the scenery for errors, then set up each position for that aircraft before moving on the the next aircraft set. If the jetway tests correctly in the edit mode for that aircraft, it will 99.9% of the time work on a smaller aircraft.

So yes, every jetway is tested at every airport prior to a flight. If I did not want customizable working SODE jetways and passengers at both departure and arrival, I would never have bought level 2. But without testing the jetway first, you don’t know if it will resolve correctly or not until you arrive and if it does not, then I am not getting what I have paid for.

DVA12924

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 12:38:24 am »
I will confirm that testing from the parking position and not from jetway does in fact still work. This is with SODE 1.6.5 as I have not reinstalled 1.6.8 as of yet.

I'm glad you found the error and appreciate that it is being looked into for resolution.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 01:00:09 am »
If I’m going to fly to an airport, I’d like for it to have all the functions I’ve paid for - customizable working SODE jetways and visual passengers.

You got it backwards: would you rather not use the WHOLE GSX ( in P3D V5, in this case ), just because it's either working with 100% of the features, or shouldn't have even released ?

Not that this makes any difference. As I've said, we discover it AFTER we released the update, following this thread. Something must have changed in SODE (and I'm NOT saying it's a bug, there's likely a reason for it), that seems to require a change in a part of GSX that ( you said it yourself ) always worked and, if you want me to believe you you never had problem, by the same account you should believe me when I said we haven't changed anything in the GSX handling of jetways.

Well, not 100% true. We are changing something but, none of these changes are part of the update that has been released now, which addresses ONLY P3D V5 compatibility and THAT'S why it came with an updated SODE.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:02:22 am by virtuali »

DVA12924

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2020, 01:17:30 am »
If I’m going to fly to an airport, I’d like for it to have all the functions I’ve paid for - customizable working SODE jetways and visual passengers.

You got it backwards: would you rather not use the WHOLE GSX ( in P3D V5, in this case ), just because it's either working with 100% of the features, or shouldn't have even released ?

Not that this makes any difference. As I've said, we discover it AFTER we released the update, following this thread. Something must have changed in SODE (and I'm NOT saying it's a bug, there's likely a reason for it), that seems to require a change in a part of GSX that ( you said it yourself ) always worked and, if you want me to believe you you never had problem, by the same account you should believe me when I said we haven't changed anything in the GSX handling of jetways.

Well, not 100% true. We are changing something but, none of these changes are part of the update that has been released now, which addresses ONLY P3D V5 compatibility and THAT'S why it came with an updated SODE.

I don't know where you're getting version from ... I have said nothing about even testing GSX in v5 so I don't know if it is working fine there or not (I am not flying in v5 yet because no real world weather). I am testing my addon scenery, my addon aircraft, my VA ACARS system, and my settings in v5. I did not even look at GSX in v5 because I do have so few issues with it that I assumed it would be working fine. This has nothing to do with versions and you are the one who brought that up so don't even put that on me lol. Since I have never used SODE outside of GSX, I have no way of knowing if it is SODE or GSX, soI leave it up to you and SODE to find and resolve the issue (which you are both doing) and I only report the facts of the issue (information that may help find and fix the problem).

So forgive me for trying to help by providing information only so you can go and get an attitude with me and twist my words about what I have (or have not) said to try to make me look bad. We have found a work-around that keeps everyone happy until the issue is fully resolved. That's all I was asking for...there was NEVER a need for you to get such a hateful attitude with me when DAYS ago you could have said "try testing from the parking editor and not the jetway editor and see if that works because they are separate" -- We are here because we need your assistance, not your attitude. Help us find solutions and work-arounds, not just get angry every time someone asks for help. After all, is it not part of your job to be here helping us with GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2020, 11:42:37 pm »
there was NEVER a need for you to get such a hateful attitude with me when DAYS ago you could have said "try testing from the parking editor and not the jetway editor and see if that works because they are separate" --

You got it wrong, again. "DAYS" you say ? When I told you to try that, I wrote this:

We found out only TODAY!

Why you keep implying we "knew" about this problem, when clearly said otherwise ? I was only trying to:

- help you finding an alternative, while we release an update.

- prove you we are on top of it.

Bonus tip: testing from the parking is probably faster and more useful than testing a single jetway ? Why ? Because testing from the Parking  will test ALL jetways there, while testing from editing a jetway, will only test *that* particular jetway you are editing, so it's probably faster if there are more than one jetway to test from the parking.