Author Topic: Couatl Live Update updating uninstalled airport!  (Read 2998 times)

Morten

Couatl Live Update updating uninstalled airport!
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:39:39 am »
Hi there

Recently I had to uninstall KORDv2 because of bad framerates and bought KORD from another developer.
Nevertheless Couatl updater use 15 minutes to update FSD's KORDv2 version, even though it is uninstalled!
What's going on?

/Morten 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl Live Update updating uninstalled airport!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 01:52:06 pm »
The only possible reason for this, is not having uninstalled KORD V2 using its uninstaller, but by removing files manually, which of course will cause all sort of problems, since you might assume you removed all files, but FSDT sceneries don't have just .BGL, but Simobjects, Effects, Scripts, as well, which must be all removed.

The KORD V2 uninstaller will of course remove them all correctly, this is for sure.

If you removed the scenery folder by hand, is not enough, you must remove the following folders:

Addon Manager\Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_KORD2
Addon Manager\Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_KORD2_MZ1
Addon Manager\Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_KORD2_MZ2
Addon Manager\Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_KORD2_MZ3

Addon Manager\couatl\KORDV2

And possibly this one too:

Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\FsDreamTeam KORDV2

Morten

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:36:23 pm »
Thanks for your answer Umberto.

However, I NEVER "uninstall" sceneries manually! Whenever possible, as in this case, I use the Windows control panel's uninstall option!
So in other words, this seems not to do the work properly here.

/Morten 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:12:55 pm »
So in other words, this seems not to do the work properly here.

Everything is working but, you must understand how all Uninstallers work. They only remove files THEY have installed. If a file came in a different way, the uninstaller won't remove it. Which means, if we ADD files with the Live Update, which weren't present in the version of the installer you used, they won't be removed by the uninstaller.

Not that this does any difference to the working of the simulator, since the scenery will be unregistered from the sim ( disabled in the add-ons.cfg file and its add-on.xml removed ), so those extra folders won't be seen by the simulator.

Morten

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:08:25 pm »
Well if that is so, you must with all respect make your addon manager able to scan the present add-on.cfg/xml in order to determine whether any of your particular airport is actually still installed or not. This way you will save your customers from lots of wasted time and useless "updated" garbage for no use. But please let us not discuss this issue any longer, as my experience tells me that you will never agree to any criticism whatsoever anyway! So let's just leave our disagreements here for now ;)

Instead I would much rather appreciate if you, with your great expertise, would comment on what you think the HECK is going on here:
http://drzewiecki-design.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=439&p=18768#p18768  (Me being Phillip)

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 09:56:12 pm »
Well if that is so, you must with all respect make your addon manager able to scan the present add-on.cfg/xml in order to determine whether any of your particular airport is actually still installed or not. This way you will save your customers from lots of wasted time and useless "updated" garbage for no use. But please let us not discuss this issue any longer, as my experience tells me that you will never agree to any criticism whatsoever anyway! So let's just leave our disagreements here for now ;)

Yes, I'll discuss it, to explain why it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Some users might have added custom files made by themselves ( or downloaded as add-on, there are addons like GSX voice packs, for example...), maybe using the DONTOUCH file to prevent the Live Update to make changes to that folder so, at the very least, we should always ask confirmation to do a complete removal but, obviously, there will be users complaining we "destroyed their work" because they didn't read the warning carefully enough, and other users complaining that extra question on uninstall was an "annoying extra step".

That's why, we chose to be on the safe side and use the STANDARD Uninstaller strategy, which is removing only things that were added by the original installer. Since as I've said, those extra files are not doing ANYTHING other than taking disk space, they are not affecting performance anyway so, if you are *really* worried of the wasted disk space, you can just remove those folders.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:05:25 pm »
Instead I would much rather appreciate if you, with your great expertise, would comment on what you think the HECK is going on here:  http://drzewiecki-design.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=439&p=18768#p18768  (Me being Phillip)

Let me see if I got this right, you said:

Recently I had to uninstall KORDv2 because of bad framerates and bought KORD from another developer.

And now, after you have been given instructions how to remove FSDT KORD, which I assume you followed, so we can be sure there's no FSDT KORD installed anymore, you are having a problem with the other developer KORD used together the PMDG airplane, and are asking here how to fix it ?

The only thing I can say, is that I agree with DD folks in that is unlikely a scenery could affect the PMDG FMC which, as far as I know, completely ignores the scenery files, and reads only its own internal AIRAC database, so your comment about this working with FSDT KORD is puzzling.

Morten

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35:48 pm »
Let me see if I got this right

You got it right my friend, and I much appreciate your cooperation under these quite unusual circumstances!

Also I of course would have prefered to stay with your product as there has been none abnormal PMDG/FMC issues whatsoever regarding to your product (in fact this issue is the first time ever in ANY third party scenery!) But as you already know my advanced multimonitor setup unfortunately makes it too hard to cope up with framerates along with your KORD version, as we already been through in another post.

The only thing I can say, is that I agree with DD folks in that is unlikely a scenery could affect the PMDG FMC which, as far as I know, completely ignores the scenery files, and reads only its own internal AIRAC database, so your comment about this working with FSDT KORD is puzzling

Well, could this abnormality perhaps be emanated from one of these possibilities?? :
1.  Installing the DD folks KORD version at the time when leftovers from your KORD product still were present in the Simobjects folder???
2.  Installing the DD folks KORD version at the time when leftovers from your KORD product still were present in certain cfg/xlm/dll files??

Cheers,
Morten     

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 12:38:42 pm »
1.  Installing the DD folks KORD version at the time when leftovers from your KORD product still were present in the Simobjects folder???

Simobjects folders contains only visual 3d objects, which won't appear until some a Simconnect program will call for them, so they will just take extra disk space if KORD is uninstalled, but even if it wasn't, creating those objects cannot possibly caused issues to the PMDG navdata.

2.  Installing the DD folks KORD version at the time when leftovers from your KORD product still were present in certain cfg/xlm/dll files??

We don't use any of these files. Everything in KORD V2 is installed from the add-on.xml and, again, nothing in it could possibly have any effect on the PMDG navdata.

But this is only based on my assumption the PMDG ignores the actual scenery to show data in the FMC, which has always been common knowledge. However, I cannot possibly vouch this.

The only thing I can say, OUR KORD is surely correct with its navaids.