Author Topic: Aircraft Stopping Positions  (Read 1804 times)

lpf20011

Aircraft Stopping Positions
« on: January 04, 2020, 01:26:31 am »
Hi Umberto,

I've read the GSX manual and I understand how GSX calculates the stopping points for stands where multiple a/c types are supported.

My question is, surely could there be an option to specify stop positions per a/c type within GSX? Each aircraft.cfg has a line that refers to aircraft type and as long as the developers haven't fluffed this - put 747 for a 742 or 744, surely this could be read and accounted for?

My frustration comes from the fact that whilst your calculation works and in reality doesn't cause harm, in the real world architects/designers choose different stop points and it would be nice from a scenery point of view that if an a320 on a heavy gate stops on its marker, that a B747 or B777 stops on its own marker, rather than over running by several feet due to it going off the stop point set for the A320 (or visa versa), (Aerosoft LHR comes to mind). And I'm sure this value is read, at least by SODE as it shows the A/C type on the VGS display when approaching a gate.

Thanks,

Tim

lpf20011

Re: Aircraft Stopping Positions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:43:06 am »
Thinking about it, you could actually use the same principle as the custom pushback feature, allow users to specify as many or as few aircraft types as they like/needed, each with their own stop pos. Your fallback could the original door 1L calc but it would allow alot of flexibility.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Aircraft Stopping Positions
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:59:30 pm »
GSX has the ability, internally, to override its default strategy of "placing the airplane preferred exit in the same place", and use a custom "table of offsets" for each single parking, to adapt the stopping position to the actual ground marking textures which might be different for every scenery, developer, etc.

We used those in some of our earlier sceneries, when there wasn't a custom Stop position that used the "placing the airplane preferred exit in the same place" strategy in GSX, but that was obviously a pain to setup, because you had to check every different texture used by every scenery, figure it out the pixel/meter ratios and set multiple stop positions for different airplanes. It was lengthy even for us that MADE our scenery, so I could only guess how much more complex and annoying it would be for end users of 3rd party sceneries, and even with a more user-friendly interface, it will take A LOT of time to customize an airport that way.

Lots of users don't even do the very simple SINGLE custom Stop Position we have now, I'm not sure how many will take the time to customize SEVERAL custom Stop Positions for each parking.