Author Topic: No GSX menu in FSX  (Read 3491 times)

SimonLeung

No GSX menu in FSX
« on: March 31, 2019, 04:03:53 am »
There is no response when I click the Ctrl+F12 in FSX. There is no response even I click via the FSX menu "Addon-On--> Couatl Settings --> Show YouControl Menu". The airport cache successfully can be seen when FSX was launched. I have changed the key mapping to others (like Ctrl+Shift+z) but the symptom remains.

This symptom appear after I re-installed my FSX from the default C:drive to D:drive (uninstall the old FSX and then re-install the FSX to new location). The GSX was then re-installed in this new FSX location after FSX relocation. Kindly advise.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No GSX menu in FSX
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:38:54 pm »
The GSX was then re-installed in this new FSX location after FSX relocation. Kindly advise.

Do not install GSX under FSX. Accept the default location, and change it only if you don't have enough space on C:. To be able to change an existing GSX installation, do as follows:

To "move" your existing installation, and change the folder, the only way that works is:

- Uninstall ALL your FSDT Products

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to Remove The Addon Manager ?". THIS is what will allow the installer to "forget" your initial choice of the installation folder.

- Reinstall an FSDT product, and notice you now CAN choose a destination folder. Choose any drive/folder you like. Don't install inside FSX.

- Reinstall all the other FSDT products, which will all default to the folder you chose for the first one.

SimonLeung

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 04:38:37 pm »
How can I un-install GSX? What is the program name that can un-install the GSX?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 12:25:52 pm »
GSX is uninstalled like any other Windows program out there: from the "Program and Features" section of the Windows Control Panel.

SimonLeung

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 04:56:36 pm »
GSX is the only product from FSDT. I have double check in the Addon Manager and found GSX is the only product that have the "Buy" button dimmed. So I performed the un-install via the Windows' Control Panel. Then I proceed to re-install GSX without any problem. The folder prompted during installation is already in D:drive.

Then I start FSX and try to invoke GSX, the same symptom remains. i.e. I can see the GSX and Couatl items on the FSX menu under the Addon Manager. However, the GSX menu cannot be invoked, no matter via key press or menu. I have also tried Enable and Disable GSX, restart Couatl via the menu in FSX, but still can't help. Kindly advise. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 01:37:48 am by SimonLeung »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:46:31 am »
The folder prompted during installation is already in D:drive.

That's because you failed to do this step:

- Reply YES to the question "Do you want to Remove The Addon Manager ?". THIS is what will allow the installer to "forget" your initial choice of the installation folder.

Failing to do that, would keep the new install into the old folder which, from your report, seems to be the new FSX install under D: and, as I've said in my previous reply, it's best NOT to install "into" the sim, now that you have the chance to install in our own folder, which is were the GSX installer defaults to.

SimonLeung

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:16:23 pm »
I un-installed the GSX and click Yes to remove the Addon Manager. Then re-install GSX. I then run FSX but an error message was shown when FSX tries to start the flight. The error message read as "The Couatl scripting engine hasn't started. This is usually caused by an antivirus that has blocked it. ..." Then in FSX menu, I can only see the Addon Manager menu but no GSX nor Couatl items. GSX cannot be activated.

I then switch off my Anti-virus program but the symptom remain unchanged. I then follow the forum thread to run "couatl.exe --test" in CMD. The program ran without generating anything and return to command prompt.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:23:48 pm by SimonLeung »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 07:48:03 am »
The thread named "Addon Manager not showing up in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**" thread lists all the known solutions for any missing libraries:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,17484.msg122656.html#msg122656

Even if the title says P3D4, the solutions are valid for FSX as well.

SimonLeung

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 05:31:13 pm »
I reinstalled each of the Visual C++ as per your thread and there are no more error messages. However, I can still unable to invoke the GSX window in FSX, no matter clicking the Ctrl-F12, Shift-F12, Ctrl-Shift-F12, or via the Addon Manager menu. I tried enable and disable the GSX menu. I can see the airport cache successful message displayed in both cases, but still there is no GSX window pop up.

I have thus un-installed the GSX together with the addon manager again. Then re-install the GSX and reboot my PC, switch off the Anti-virus, but the GSX window still cannot come out, even in default airports like RJAA, ZSSS, with default FSX plane.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:35:04 pm by SimonLeung »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:30 pm »
I can see the airport cache successful message displayed in both cases, but still there is no GSX window pop up.

If you see that message, it means GSX is working normally. If the menu doesn't come up, it's possible there's a key conflict with another addon that used the same keys.

SimonLeung

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 01:12:57 pm »
The keyboard mapping should not be a problem because even I change it from Ctrl-F12 to Ctrl-Alt+Z (which should be rare enough), the GSX windows still cannot be invoked. In fact, even there is a key mapping crashes, GSX window should still pop up via the FSX - Addon Manager menu. Kindly advise what can went wrong in invoking the GSX window whilst GSX was actually running normal as per your description? What files / parameters can prevent the GSX window from popping up?

In fact, I have made extra clean up after un-install the GSX via the Windows 10 control panel and before I re-install GSX. This includes:
- Rename the old Addon Manager folder from my D:drive;
- Delete both dll.xml and exe.xml files from the user folder underneath the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX;
- remove the 2 statements in fsx.cfg file regarding to bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe.

What could possibly went wrong?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 01:21:37 pm by SimonLeung »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 01:52:27 pm »
The keyboard mapping should not be a problem because even I change it from Ctrl-F12 to Ctrl-Alt+Z (which should be rare enough), the GSX windows still cannot be invoked.

You cannot use ALT, because it's reserved for the sim main menu bar.

In fact, even there is a key mapping crashes, GSX window should still pop up via the FSX - Addon Manager menu.

That might not be necessarily true.

Kindly advise what can went wrong in invoking the GSX window whilst GSX was actually running normal as per your description? What files / parameters can prevent the GSX window from popping up?

As I've said, if you saw the message about the cache being loaded successfully, it means GSX IS WORKING, so there's just nothing to do about xml files, antivirus, installation, anything.

Could be you are on ground, but outside an airport ? Try selecting the "Restart and rebuld the airport cache" option, if the airport cache is outdated, it's possible GSX doesn't see which airport you are located on.

And, it would be helpful if you said which airport you use, and if this problem happens only *there* or everywhere.