Author Topic: P3D v3 and P3D v4 both installed. How can I register FSDT products?  (Read 3179 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Hi Umberto,

I have both P3D v3.4 and P3D v4.4 installed. All my flying (except Concorde) is on v4 but because FSL Concorde is not compatible with v4 I have to fly it in v3.

Rather than reinstall all my airports - both FSDT and others - I have copied the scenery.cfg from v4 and placed it in v3. I then used Find and Replace to add the full path to all the airports I have.

I loaded P3D v3 and it has completed successfully for all my other airports but not for the FSDT ones as I don't have COUATL installed so cannot register my airports. I do have all the registration files so I'm presuming if I can install Addon Manager for P3D v3 I can then register those airports.

Because I already have Addon Manager installed for v4 I tried downloading it again from FSDT but when I run it I cannot change the path to point it to P3D v3. The Browse button is greyed out.

Can you help me get these airports registered for v3 please?
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: P3D v3 and P3D v4 both installed. How can I register FSDT products?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 07:13:18 pm »
I’ve copied Addon Manager folder from P3Dv4 to P3D v3. Copied add-ons.cfg from its location in my v4 install to the equivalent folder in v3.

I then edited that file and amended the path to point to v3.

I then copied the Addon Manager and KJFK folders to the equivalent folder in Documents\P3Dv3

Fired up P3D v3 and was asked if I wanted to load those two Addons and replied Yes.

On P3D under Addons I can see both are present and selected. But under Addons there is no Addon Manager entry. Needless to say there are no airport  buildings at JFK.

I can’t work out why unless a Registry change is required.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »
I'm wondering if the solution is to install GSX. Would that then give me the option of which Sim I want to install to?

Assuming the answer is yes then Addon Manager should then become visible and I can register all my products. If I don't hear from you by tomorrow noon (GMT) I'll give that a crack.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »
I ran the GSX installer but it never asked me which version of flight sim it was for. P3D v3 or P3D v4. I already have it installed for v4 and want to install for v3.

I'm really out of ideas now so would appreciate some guidance please.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:52 pm »
I ran the GSX installer originally and opted to install within my P3D v4 structure as I had no intention of installing P3D v3.

But the location doesn't appear to be critical. I have now removed the copy of Addon Manager in P3D v3 and instead I'm pointing my add-ons.cfg entries in Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons to the P3D v4 location. See attached. It's identical to the v4 one.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of my VC++ entries in Control Panel - Programs. Can you see anything wrong?
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 06:49:22 pm »
Umberto. I have finally resolved the problem and have Addon Manager, GSX all all the others now showing in Addons in P3D v3.

It was necessary to download and install my purchased airports again. Whatever is in those installers fixed the problem that hours of manual changes couldn’t.

The simplest solution is often the most obvious but I still don’t know why my method didn’t work. All’s well.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 02:31:59 pm »
This issue of moving scenery ( basically, you can't ) has been discussed many times on the forum, and the only option that is safe, if you want to "move" FSDT sceneries is:

- uninstall everything

- reinstall everything.

This post clarifies it better:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,20319.msg139267.html#msg139267

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 02:58:24 pm »
I didn’t move the original install of Addon Manager. That remained in place embedded within my P3Dv4 structure. On reflection it’s better in C:\Program Files.

I just copied the relevant folders in the Documents\P3Dv4 files to the equivalent in P3D. Logically it should have worked but I guess you design things to prevent piracy. Fair enough. At least I didn’t have to activate my airports or GSX.

Lesson learned.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 03:12:45 pm »
I didn’t move the original install of Addon Manager. That remained in place embedded within my P3Dv4 structure. On reflection it’s better in C:\Program Files.

They shouldn't have been in the P3D4 folder in the first place.

Since June 2017, when P3D4 came out, we default installing outside the simulator folder. But of course, you are free to choose any folder and, in fact, nothing prevents you to install *inside* the sim, even if it might not be the best choice, now that you can (and you are supposed to) install elsewhere.

I just copied the relevant folders in the Documents\P3Dv4 files to the equivalent in P3D. Logically it should have worked but I guess you design things to prevent piracy. Fair enough. At least I didn’t have to activate my airports or GSX.

Piracy doesn't obviously have anything to do with this, unless you picture ourselves as being so naive that piracy could be stopped just by preventing users from moving files. Of course, the fact you didn't had to reactivate should prove you that: NOTHING related to the placement of files or the installation of the simulator has anything to do with piracy protection or will cause the activation to be lost.

The ONLY time you'll lose your activation is:

- when you reinstall Windows

- when you change major hardware component, like the mainboard of the CPU ( changing the video card won't be considered a major change )

So no, the reason why files cannot be moved easily, is that we require the all our files to stay together, since they have dependencies from each other (for example, JFK uses GSX docking systems, files and textures, so it must be sure where to find them) AND the installer sets some keys in the registry to store the folder which was chosen at install, in order to be sure you don't install each FSDT product in a different folder altogether.

So, ideally, if you *really* know what you are doing, you CAN move files, but you'll also have to update those registry keys.

Which, incidentally, is precisely what the installer does, when you follow the aforementioned uninstall/reinstall procedure. That's why I told you to follow that, rather than acting on the registry manually.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 03:27:09 pm »
Umberto, the install into P3D v4 has fewer restrictions  than  to C:\Program Files. That wasn’t the problem.

I just copied add-on.xml files within their relevant folders to the P3D area. They pointed to the same source as my P3D v4 add-on.xml files.

Whatever the reason it didn’t work it doesn’t need further discussion. I have learned my lesson having spent hours trying to make it work.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 03:37:11 pm »
Umberto, the install into P3D v4 has fewer restrictions  than  to C:\Program Files. That wasn’t the problem.

Where P3D4 itself is installed, it doesn't matter to OUR addons. Yes, I said it's best to install them *outside* the P3D4 folder, but that doesn't mean they won't work inside of it.

It's just a matter of doing things neatly but, as far as permissions goes, NONE of our addons tries to write inside their own installation folders. Instead, they all use the proper folders under %APPDATA% or %PROGRAMDATA% so, as far as we are concerned, none of the issue that usually happens when installing non-compliant add-ons inside the "Program Files" folder (which Windows, since Vista, protects specifically more) affects any of our products.

So yes, while it might be a good idea to install P3D4 outside "Program Files" (and in fact, it's what I always do), it's not because of issue of any of our products (even when they are too installed *inside* the sim! ), but you might want to do that anyway, to prevent issues caused by other addons, which are not compliant with UAC rules.