Author Topic: GSX functions do not complete  (Read 3558 times)

Captain45

GSX functions do not complete
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:18:29 pm »
Okay. I know I have to push and hold the Ctrl-key for 5 seconds before selecting the GSX menu for P3Dv4 reasons. But it's starting a bit weird lately for other reasons I guess.

When I select f.i. the Catering function, GSX seems not to notice the the catering has finished. I stays on Waiting to complete.....
That was something from the past and with Catering only.

But now every selection, being it fuel, boarding, or whatever ends in a Waiting to complete. I can reset and go to Add-ons/GSX/Show GSX menu to continue, but that is not an elegant way to use GSX.

I ran the Live Update yesterday but that did not change a thing. Now I see that there is a Vehicles update, but I can't imagine that 'Vehicles' had anything to do with this misbehaviour of GSX.

Any ideas to solve?

Dirk
PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.5; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -various, Chaseplane, GSX. Notebook: AS4-ASCA,  AivlaSoft EFB.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX functions do not complete
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:29 pm »
I ran the Live Update yesterday but that did not change a thing. Now I see that there is a Vehicles update, but I can't imagine that 'Vehicles' had anything to do with this misbehaviour of GSX

Could you clarify this ? Have you seen some kind of message advising of a "vehicle update" or, you just read the release notes and assumed there's a vehicle update because the release notes discuss about updates related to vehicles ?

Because, we don't have a separate vehicle update since a long time. The Live Update updates everything related to FSDT, even other products, in addition to GSX so, if you run it now, you can be sure you have the latest version of everything, so there's no separate vehicle update anymore.

Captain45

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:36:51 pm »
Sorry, I was not clear about this. I ran the Live Update yesterday not knowing that there was a Vehicle update on june 8th that is not yet in the Live update as stated in the forum post about this subject.
Only today, just before I posted my question, I saw that there was a Vehicle update. I downloaded the stand-alone add-on manager but did not yet install it.

My sim is running at the moment, so I have to wait until after landing. But would the Stand-alone Add-on Manager possibly solve my problem?

Dirk
PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.5; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -various, Chaseplane, GSX. Notebook: AS4-ASCA,  AivlaSoft EFB.

Captain45

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 10:03:55 am »
I uninstalled GSX v2.3.0.3 and not the AddOn Manager.
I downloaded and installed GSX v2.4.
PROBLEM SOLVED. (added later:... maybe not yet. See next reply)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 05:20:39 pm by Captain45 »

Captain45

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »
This AM I tested after installing GSXv2.4 with addons like AivlaSoft EFB, UTLive and (networked) Active Sky NOT ACTIVE.

When I started this afternoon (systems have been Power-OFF) with all addons ON as usual, the problem was back in exactly the same manner. Then I remembered that it all started after running the Live Update AND moving the AI slider in UTLive from 60% to 75%. So I moved the slider back to 60% during a flight from ENVA to ESSA, without restarting UTLive (stupid, but I'm only human). The problem was still there at ESSA. But after a flight from ESSA to EKBI (both airports are default) GSX performed as it should at EKBI.

My question is: could this have something to do with the processor load? I mean, that GSX does not catch it's own interrupt or something?

I never had the same problem before. Not even at default EDDF with a very high load of AI traffic (60%).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:23 am »
My question is: could this have something to do with the processor load? I mean, that GSX does not catch it's own interrupt or something?

GSX is not supposed to catch its own interrupts, that's not addon modules work. It's the simulator that sends a message to all connected applications to refresh their processing so, if for any reason the simulator won't do this, we don't get a chance to execute any code.

If you noticed the problem happening only with a certain density of UTLive traffic, due to how UTLive works (it creates AI on the fly), it's possible that appliation is flooding the sim with so many commands, that we don't get any chance to get our own notification. If you use a 3rd party weather engine, it's even more likely this is what's really happening.

Since both GSX (which runs under Couatl.exe) and UTLive are *external* (.EXE) client applications, the AFFINITY MASK setting can also have an effect on this. If you use this tweak, try to remove it. If you don't, try to set it to some values that would ensure the load is distributed across applications.

Captain45

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:14:02 pm »
Thanks Umberto. That makes it clear.

I did not set an affinity mask, because I thought that P3Dv4 did not need it. What I see is that Core-0 is highly busy while the other cores are reasonably low most of the time. But I'll Google around a bit to find out.  ;)

Dirk

Captain45

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:19 pm »
Unfortunately this did not help.
- I overclocked my processor now running 4.8 max.
- I installed the Affinity mask (and that helped a bit)
- I lowered AI to 40%

While using GSX only Core-0 is 70 - 85%; othe cores are lower. So it is NOT the processorload.

I can use one GSX function only once. Somtimes the function completes and I can use another one. But most of the time the second time I get 'waiting for other function to complete'. Then I must click the 'YouControl' bypassing the topline menu; reset Coutatl and start all over again. When GSX is waiting for funtions to complete I cannot use Ctrl+F12. Nothing happens. GSX is stuck. Only Couatl reset works with the same outcome.

My system (and GSX) worked 100% for months (with 60% AI even at very busy airports like EDDF) since I installed it for the first time after P3Dv3 to P3Dv4 upgrade. Since the problem is there I have not installed anything new. Maybe MSFT did some W10 updating behind my back, but no FlightSim stuff.

My guess is, that somthing (maybe YouControl) is corrupted. Uninstall v2.3.0.3 and install v2.4 might have not overwritten something. If there is a clean sweep way to uninstall GSX, please let me know.

Dirk

Captain45

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 09:40:45 am »
GM Umberto,

I suddenly remembered... could this be a SODE version problem?

When we were discussing my Stairs on Exit1 Q400 problem, I uninstalled the active GSX+AddonMan and downloaded+installed v2.3.0.3. During that install the SODE process ran into an error which made me (can't remember if I was instructed to do so) uninstall SODE. Then I went to the SODE website  https://sode.12bpilot.ch/?page_id=9 and downloaded and installed the latest version v1.6.3 and activated it. When the recent problems came up, I uninstalled GSX; dowloaded v.2.4 and installed it. During the SODE process of that install I saw that SODE was activated already, which sounded logical.

If GSX uses a modified or different version of SODE this might be the smoking gun.

Dirk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:43:09 am by Captain45 »

Captain45

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:34 pm »
Some people have all the luck. After many try-outs I had to do some re-installations (W10, P3D Client and others).
This made me also uninstall all FSDT products. I'll install them tomorrow and if everything goes right, you may consider this subject solved. If not, well, then I'll make a new post.

Dirk