Author Topic: GSX Not Showing Airline In Menu for Arrival & Departure **SOLVED**  (Read 3439 times)

krouner

I have some airports, not all, that when when I dock or depart it does not offer the airline I am flying. I have checked the aircraft config, AFCAD, and the GSX customization. All have the correct parking codes. Is there somewhere else I need to look?

Thanks! KRouner
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:08:45 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Not Showing Airline In Menu for Arrival & Departure
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:29:13 am »
As explained at Page 45 of the GSX manual (quoting from the manual here):

If your airplane.cfg includes the ICAO code of your airline in the atc_parking_codes parameter, this will take precedence over any other selection method. It’s assumed you will preferably load containers with the airline logo of the airplane. If your airplane doesn’t have an atc_parking_codes parameter in its aircraft.cfg file, the selection will be made per airport, using the same selection methods as the handling vehicles.

In this case, it might happen you will load containers with a logo on departure, and a different one when unloading on arrival. This is normal, and can’t be prevented if your airplane.cfg doesn’t have the airline code set.

As discussed many times on the forum, it would be wrong linking the airline code of your airplane to the choice of the ground operator, because that's something local to the airport, and you cannot expect your own airline crew would always follow you, everywhere in the world. Would you find realistic to have a British crew in New York, just because you are flying a British airplane or because you are parking on a stand, at JFK, which British use ?

That's why the airline you are flying correctly affects only the choice of the containers (so they won't appear different from departure to arrival) and ONLY if your airplane has the proper airline ICAO code set as the atc_parking_codes parameter in its aircraft.cfg file.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:33:35 am by virtuali »

krouner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:57:01 am »
Maybe I did not state the issue properly or I am just not understanding. If I am flying a United 737 and the aircraft config has atc_parking_codes=UAL, atc_parking_types=GATE,RAMP (I copied these from the PMDG Config), the AFCAD has UAL as the gate, and GFX has UAL in it's configuration. Why, when I open the GSX window to select a gate when arriving or open the GSX window when departing, does GSX not offer UAL. I am using UAL as an example. I am including pictures of my aircraft config, AFCAD, GSX Config window, and a shot of what airlines I am offered when selecting the GSX for departure. This particular airport is KSLC @ gate B9.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:28:51 am »
If I am flying a United 737 and the aircraft config has atc_parking_codes=UAL

As I've said in my previous message, the codes of the aircraft you are flying DO NOT have any effect on the Ground Operator, for the reasons I think to have explained quite throughly in my previous post.

the AFCAD has UAL as the gate, and GFX has UAL in it's configuration.

That's another issue entirely, and even if it might sound confusing, it all makes sense, and it's explained in the manual and, more exhaustively, in the GSX PaintKit documentation.

The parking codes in the AFCAD are NOT enough to have an operator assigned there. The operator must be first assigned by GSX to that airport, and it will obtain a certain score, depending how many characters from the icao_prefixes in the SIM.CFG of the GSX Vehicles match the ICAO code.

The parking code in the AFCAD will be used ONLY when breaking ties, when there are two or more operators with the same score. So, in you case, the issue is that UAL is not assigned to this airport by default. IF UAL was assigned to this airport and had the same score as the other two (Delta and Frontier), the UAL parking code would tip the balance in favor of United Airlines. GSX, in this case, assumed this IS an airport that United operates from, and this IS one of their parking, so no other operators will go there.

The reason for this is, again, to prevent unrealistic situations of having your ground crew following you everywhere in the world, for example at places where United has no base of operations, but it might still have its parking codes in the AFCAD, just because it goes there (outside the US, for example) or it does *code-sharing* with a different airline. This would happen if GSX "just" read the AFCAD parking codes instead of correctly doing what is doing now, which is using them only to break ties amongst operators that has been assigned to the airport, at the same score.

However, you CAN change the assignment without having to edit all the SIM.CFG of all the GSX vehicles: just rewrite the airline codes in the GSX editing field, and Apply the changes. Since YOU made the edit, GSX is assuming you know what you are doing, and you know United IS an operator there, so it will ignore its own internal assignment, and just trust what you said.

And of course, you can change multiple parkings at once with a single edit, for example setting a whole terminal to a single (or multiple) airlines, just by selecting more than a parking in the left-hand side of the editing window.

krouner

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 02:43:19 pm »
Thank you for the assistance. After I changed the gate assignments on the entire terminal the airline is now showing.