Author Topic: Parking System Stopping Distance  (Read 2831 times)

MD-82

Parking System Stopping Distance
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:17:30 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to use the 0/9 keys to edit the stopping point for a particular position. The ruler is correctly placed when in editing mode but the system does not work as per the manual.
Instead I found out I just have to select the "STOP" (With F1/F4) indication at the nose wheel until it turns orange, and the use the normal slew commands to move it to where I want.
Is this how the system now works, and not the 0/9 keys? BTW, the Q/Z and F2/F3 keys do work as per the manual.
If so it may be useful to someone trying to do the same thing.

Cheers,

Xander

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Parking System Stopping Distance
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:38 am »
We made another update after the manual was updated last, so it now works a bit differently:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

NEW Parking Editor: Visual Docking System/Marshaller position can be edited separately from the Stop Position, allowing for offset VGDS, still following the parking centerline.

The parking position is now a separate object instead of being a part of the Parking System.

This was made to allow a separation between what you SEE (a Marshaller, a Docking System), and the stopping position with its approach heading, so you can now place the visual guidance as you like, but it won't affect the stopping position and, most importantly, the approach heading, which will be the one of the "Parking" instead.

With the parking position being a separate object, there no need to use the 0/9 keys anymore, since it now moves with the arrow keys, just like all the other customizable objects.

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 05:30:31 pm »
I'm just about to start going through all my airports to make sure where the GSX parking system like the marshaller wants me to stop will be correctly aligned with the airport scenery.

Just want to make sure I will do this in the correct way so I don't have to redo everything. I've found there seems to be two ways moving the a/c into the correct position - either by selecting the stop position object and then move it with the normal slew keys which will move both the stop sign as well as the aircraft or by selecting the gate object. That however only moves the aircraft while the stop sign doesn't move with the aircraft but remains in its current position.

My guess would be moving the stop sign object to have both the stop sign as well as the aircraft moved would be the correct way but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Would of course also be nice to have the documentation updated to reflect the latest changes.
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:59:24 pm »
Still hoping for a clarification of the difference between Parking vs Stop pos when using the parking editor and when to use which one.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:55:07 pm »
The stopping position is what drives every parking system (marshaller or docking) and decides where the plane should stop. Please read the manual, which explains the relationship with it, and the plane preferred exit. The goal is NOT having the airplane front gear always in the same place, because that's not what happens in real world, but rather have the preferred exit in a predictable position to have an easier time operating a jetway.

The main reason for wanting to edit the main parking position too, is that in some cases, if you had to move the stopping position of a considerable distance, it *might* happen that GSX won't detect if you are inside a parking, since the detection it's made from the center of the parking so, in such cases, it might be best to move the main position (of the parking) to have the plane in the same position as the edited stopping position.

But usually, the main reason for editing the parking itself, is to fix errors that lots of developers do, with the AFCAD parking not properly aligned to the yellow line so, it's usually more common to rotate a parking, rather than moving it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:52:21 pm by virtuali »

WebMaximus

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 02:44:01 pm »
Thanks a lot!

Did read the documentation but this answer provided me with the missing details and logic so thanks again!
Richard Åsberg