Author Topic: P3D v3 and v4 - Side by side installation  (Read 3643 times)

aceridgey

P3D v3 and v4 - Side by side installation
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »
Hi there,

How can I restore my FSDT products to P3d v3? Even redownloading the installers only allows me to install into p3d v4.

Alex

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D v3 and v4 - Side by side installation
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:51:21 am »
Even redownloading the installers only allows me to install into p3d v4.

That doesn't have anything to do with our installers, which of course properly support and recognize every version of P3D.

If you don't have the P3D V3 option enabled, it means your registry keys for P3D V3 are wrong, missing, or not pointing to the correct folder. Usually, this is caused by the Migration Tool, but also might happen if you tried to install a scenery without having started the sim at least once, which will create the registry keys in your user account.

aceridgey

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:57:36 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I disagree as I haven't got Migration tool installed.

I think this was due to the process created when a FSDT product was downloaded for p3dv4 there was a migration process that moved all installed sceneries to p3d v4.. This process has removed those sceneries from V3 and I don't know how to get them back.

Alex

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:21:01 am »
I disagree as I haven't got Migration tool installed.

I haven't said the Migration is the only reason why your registry keys are missing, but it's just the most common case.

I think this was due to the process created when a FSDT product was downloaded for p3dv4 there was a migration process that moved all installed sceneries to p3d v4.. This process has removed those sceneries from V3 and I don't know how to get them back.

According to your report, which said the INSTALLER cannot find P3D3, and assuming is accurate, the migration process of the scenery doesn't have anything to do with this. At that point, the installer is ONLY checking the registry keys to find the sim so, if the sim cannot be found, you have a problem with the registry keys.

aceridgey

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:29 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I am struggling to see why you can't understand this?

After the automatic migration that your sceneries have done when installing  aproduct into V4. I haven't got anymore FSDT in V3.. How do I fix this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:59 pm »
I am struggling to see why you can't understand this?

It's not me that can't "understand" you. It's your own description of the problem which was entirely inaccurate. First, you said:

redownloading the installers only allows me to install into p3d v4.

What other means can this sentence have, other than the installer not detecting P3D ? So, is this true or not ?

After the automatic migration that your sceneries have done when installing  aproduct into V4. I haven't got anymore FSDT in V3.. How do I fix this?

This description is very vague, because it's related whether your first description of the problem was accurate or not. If it was true that "the installers only allows me to install into p3d v4", it's entirely NORMAL and to be expected you wouldn't see the products in P3D V3, since the installer didn't presented you the option to install there.

So, again, it all depends by the installer being able to find P3D V3, even during the migration. If it didn't see P3D V3 when you migrated the scenery, and this was only related to the registry wrong, the sceneries were moved, but not enabled in P3D because, obviously, the migration will enable the sceneries only the simulators that were found to be installed at that time.