Author Topic: Couatl scripting engine error  (Read 3703 times)

PierreFSX

Couatl scripting engine error
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »
Hi, I just purchase KSFO-HD from flightbeam and I was able to registered the product. But when I try to start my flight at this airport, right after the scenery have finishing loading I get a Couatl Scripting engine error. see attach picture and error log. And then I am asked to restart Coualt (which never works) or to quit Coualt.

Can someone help me with this problem? I have updated both GSX and the addon manager.

I run FSX-SE in Window 7

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:42:53 pm by PierreFSX »
Pierre Nantel
Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Intel 9i 10900K
32 Gig
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11Gig
PFC Cirrus II
P3D v5.3 H2
PF3/MCE
Active Sky
PMDG 747-400/747 V3, Aerosoft Airbus Series
Twin Otter, A2A Cessna 172

PierreFSX

Re: Couatl scripting engine error (solved)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:11:23 pm »
Hi,

I just solved my problem, actually all my problems with the FSdream and Flightbeam add-ons. I decided to uninstall all the add-ons I had and re-installed them. Then I delete my FSX.CFG file so FSX could rebuild a new one.

Now everything is working perfectly.

;)
Pierre Nantel
Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Intel 9i 10900K
32 Gig
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11Gig
PFC Cirrus II
P3D v5.3 H2
PF3/MCE
Active Sky

keino333

Re: Couatl scripting engine error
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:37:10 pm »
Whilst I can appreciate this as a work around it does spell out the problem not guarantee that the issue will not return on subsequent updates.  I would prefer have FSDT provide some feedback as to this occurrence as the community can truly benefit.  It is quite annoying that this disrupts all of the scenery for Flightbeam and FSDT.  There is got to be a better solution.

PierreFSX

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:32:58 pm »
Agree with you,

The hobby is to fly, not to have to re-installed everything to get a new add-ons to work.
 :(
Pierre Nantel
Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Intel 9i 10900K
32 Gig
Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11Gig
PFC Cirrus II
P3D v5.3 H2
PF3/MCE
Active Sky

keino333

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:00 am »
Amazing ....the BS seemingly lies with GSX. I just uninstalled it (notice my frustration/language as it has been quite difficult to contain myself) And all my scenery work now without the ridiculous task of uninstalling all other scenery.  I will not reinstall GSX until we get confirmation that the issue(s) have been found and averted indefinitely.  The agony has been too much. 
And I just recommended GSX to five virtual pilots and I'm left now with egg on my face.....wow.  CAn we at least warn the general public/ your customers of the potential issue and that the FSDT team is actively working to resolve this?  This notice could be posted headlining the forum and perhaps AirdailyX. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl scripting engine error (solved)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 11:45:24 am »
Then I delete my FSX.CFG file so FSX could rebuild a new one.  Now everything is working perfectly.

This clearly proves the problem never had ANYTHING to do with GSX, FSDT in the first place. What *likely* happened, is that your previous FSX.CFG was corrupted by OTHER defective addon installers, or by having edited it by hand.

Specifically, it was surely an issue with the default lines that contains the SimobjectsPaths: we install our our objects in the Simobjects\Misc folder, which is included in every default FSX installation but, if the lines that references it in the FSX.CFG is missing/corrupted, the sim wouldn't be able to find the objects, so nothing will work.

You'll lose also hundreds of default library objects used by sceneries too but, of course, you might not noticed them if you don't fly on default airports much.

More detailed information about this here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14184.msg104782.html#msg104782

The issue is, we can test for the file being there (in fact, we do), but if the FSX.CFG line is missing, the sim will cause an error nonetheless, even if the files are there. And of course, you won't still see the objects so, nothing will work just the same.

We considered testing the SimobjectPaths being correct with the installer, as we test several things that could be messed by other defective installers from other products (like the DLL/EXE XML files) but the issue is, if the file contains errors, like illegal comments, messed up lines, it would be VERY easy to damage irreparably if we tried to touch it. At least, to report a problem with an XML file, we can rely on the default XML parsing routine that comes with Windows but still, we only REPORT errors, but don't try to fix them, because it will be extremely dangerous, on an already-corrupted file.

The issue with FSX, is that too many files are centralized so, if one defective installer (or hand-edit the file) is messing up with it, it might affect other product which are UNFAIRLY taking the blame, like GSX in this case.

At least, Prepar3D has a new way of install addons that would allow using localized folders (each addon can have its own XML files, for example), so we can only try to use these feature in later version of our installers, in order not to have users being MISLEAD into thinking the problem they are having are in any way related to our products. For the FSX, you just have to pay more attention to your config files.