Author Topic: Windows 10 pro and "Out of memory" errors????  (Read 2803 times)

rocketqueen

Windows 10 pro and "Out of memory" errors????
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:23:54 am »
Guys
question for you... i have upgraded my desktop (more powerful)....i tried to run FS dreamteam JFK Airport with New York city X .... but it says "out of memory"...
here are my specs as below and need advice. i think my computer has no problem but why it comes the error.....
. 16GB desktop memory kit
. i7 core 4GHZ processor
. 8GB GeForce video card
and also any problem with FSX and Windows 10 pro??? cause ... whenever running the FSX... it stopped... i don't know why..

Thx

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Windows 10 pro and "Out of memory" errors????
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 08:55:49 am »
The OOM message is a very well known issue, and it doesn't have anything to do with the power of your PC or the memory you have. FSX, being a 32 bit app, is limited to use an absolute maximum of 4GB of RAM, regardless how much memory you have.

Those 4GB are further limited because, as a DirectX 9 app, some of this memory is taken away by the video card too so, it's not even 4GB, but more likely 3.5-3.6 GB in total.

This means, there's no single cause for OOM, but it's the COMBINATION of all your installed addons. The most memory-consuming item, is very likely the memory hungry airplane you are probably using. And of course, if you use JFK with a big scenery like New York City X, this won't help.

Your options are:

- Lower your settings

- Don't use too many sceneries at the same time

- Don't use a memory hungry airplane

- Switch to DirectX 10, that will result in some savings that might just save you from an OOM

- Switch to FSX:Steam edition, which is a little bit more optimized in memory consumption.

- Switch to Prepar3D, which is a DirectX 11 app (but still 32 bit...)

rocketqueen

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:04:48 am »
thank you very much.
By the way, where can i purchase FSX steam edition??

pcubine

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:24:36 am »
thank you very much.
By the way, where can i purchase FSX steam edition??
Google "Purchase FSX steam edition" without the quotes.
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD