Author Topic: GSX not showing up in add ons after update  (Read 4200 times)

tpallini

GSX not showing up in add ons after update
« on: June 12, 2016, 01:17:26 am »
Hi,

I recently downloaded the latest update after having GSX for about a year. I downloaded the standalone mangager, then opened up fsx and in the add ons folder it only showed the addon manager, no coutal or GSX. I tried every option suggested in the forums (disabling antivirus, reinstalling redistributable runttimes, etc). It must be something in the update making it not appear. Is there any way I can download a previous version of GSX?

P.s. I am using Windows XP and have never had a GSX problem before.

Tom

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not showing up in add ons after update
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:25:40 am »
P.s. I am using Windows XP and have never had a GSX problem before.

Windows XP is not a supported OS.

Devric

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:44:02 pm »
I have Windows 7 and I have had this problem several times too. Usually works by restarting FSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 11:07:12 am »
I have Windows 7 and I have had this problem several times too. Usually works by restarting FSX.

This means in your case, the problem is different, and it's likely the antivirus (assuming you are missing both menus). In case of the OP, there's nothing he can do, as long he uses Windows XP.

Devric

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
It's only the first time starting FSX after an GSX update it seems like, so it's not a big issue really.

tpallini

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:07:31 am »
I've been using with windows xp for about a year now...just a fluke?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 11:42:54 am »
I've been using with windows xp for about a year now...just a fluke?

You were using and old version, most likely. The current version doesn't support Windows XP.

Nothing we can do to fix this, it's time to upgrade: we simply cannot continue to support a 15-years old OS, which is not supported by Microsoft anymore since 2014.

tpallini

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:38:12 pm »
I only use the computer for flight sim so I see no reason to upgrade. Everything else works fine. There's no way to get an earlier version of the product so that I can continue using the product I paid for?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »
I only use the computer for flight sim so I see no reason to upgrade. Everything else works fine. There's no way to get an earlier version of the product so that I can continue using the product I paid for?

No, unless you have a backup of the old installer.

It's *because* you use the PC for flight sim, that you SHOULD upgrade! Unless your XP is the very seldom used 64 bit version (which would give you lots more problems since almost nobody writes drivers or supports it), assuming you use XP 32 bit, using it for Flight sim is VERY wrong.

The reason for this, is that a 32 bit OS can only "see" 4GB or RAM IN TOTAL. This includes the ram needed by Windows itself, the VRAM of the video card, and the RAM needed by FSX.

They will ALL share 4GB of RAM in total, regardless how much overall RAM you have in your system. So, if you have more than 4GB of RAM and you still use XP 32 bit, your extra RAM is completely wasted.

And, having Windows + FSX + video card VRAM to share 4GB in total, is asking for trouble, since FSX can easily take more than 3GB by *itself*, with the recent complex planes and sceneries.

With a 64 bit OS (from Windows 7 onwards), at least FSX could use up to 4GB for itself without having to share it with everything else, so Windows could use other 4GB.

If you still insist using XP, you will have far worse problems that just not being able to use GSX.