Author Topic: Adjusting Sounds causes crash  (Read 4718 times)

egkkman

Adjusting Sounds causes crash
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:10 am »
Hello,

Since installing P3D version 2.1 the ability to adjust sound for GSX has gone! When I open the Coatil Products GSX menu and select audio, even if I do not make a change, GSX will not run and the only way to get it back is to restart P3D.

If I do make a change GSX stops working and upon restarting P3D the sound is not adjusted.

The problem is, the sound of the ground service crew (not vehicles I have removed these sounds as they too were very loud) is overwhelmingly loud. I am suspecting it is a P3D problem as AI traffic is also very loud and I am unable to adjust the sound levels.

I wonder if you can let me know if there is a change needed with GSX since the update to P3D V2.1 that you are working on, or is it purely a P3D problem or is it in some way my set up!

I have searched the forum but have not found a comment relating to this particular issue.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Adjusting Sounds causes crash
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:29:40 am »
Since installing P3D version 2.1 the ability to adjust sound for GSX has gone! When I open the Coatil Products GSX menu and select audio, even if I do not make a change, GSX will not run and the only way to get it back is to restart P3D.

If I do make a change GSX stops working and upon restarting P3D the sound is not adjusted.

Problem doesn't happen here, and nobody else has reported it before. The most likely explanation is a bug in your audio drivers, that have problems supporting OpenAL, which is the sound engine we use for GSX.

The only possible suggestion is to update your audio drivers. Try with different solutions: using the drivers supplied with the audio card or the mainboard, and also try the opposite: remove any audio drivers supplied separately, and only use the one that comes with Windows. Sometime one solution is better than the other, but you just can't say for sure until you try, because it changes between audio hardware.

The problem is, the sound of the ground service crew (not vehicles I have removed these sounds as they too were very loud) is overwhelmingly loud. I am suspecting it is a P3D problem as AI traffic is also very loud and I am unable to adjust the sound levels.

Yes, it seems to be a P3D problem, it seems that it handles objects sounds in a different way than FSX, and also adds its own sound for vehicles that you can't control it. However, it's seems that is also related to audio hardware uses, because some users reported sounds being "too loud" in P3D, but I can't reproduce it. Yes, they are a *bit* louder than they were in FSX, but surely not "too loud", let alone "overwhelmingly loud".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:31:40 am by virtuali »

egkkman

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:41 am »
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The most likely explanation is a bug in your audio drivers
I'll take note and do as you suggest, thanks. I have three sound cards in the PC so I guess it will be a trial and error to get the settings right.

but surely not "too loud", let alone "overwhelmingly loud".
Yes, I deliberately chose my words carefully. I have a home cockpit in an outbuilding and my wife heard the ground crew and AI from 15 meters away through two doors and a wall! It is deafening whilst in the sim.

I will do as you suggest and report back in any event.

Regards

Dave

Thanks

egkkman

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:39 am »
Hi,

Just reporting back as promised.

I have only had time for a quick 'go' on the simulator since the last post.

I removed all sound drivers and updated as suggested. This has had some effect, but not necessarily an improvement.

Each time I adjust the sound in GSX via the in sim menu, GSX crashes. The sim continues to work but GSX does not. I can reproduce this behaviour every time.

I have now got GSX running through the headsets, well partially! I have selected the soundcard that is connected to the headsets in the GSX menu, (GSX crashes, I restart the sim and the headset soundcard is selected). Then I start GSX and the truck sounds come through the headset but the ground crew voices still come through the sim speakers!

I think there is a problem with the sounds in P3D V2.1. which I think I should investigate before working to solve the GSX sound. By understanding the P3D sound I might better be able to configure GSX. I am planning to uninstall GSX, get the sound to work in P3D and then reinstall GSX.

I'm not necessarily looking for help here, I'm just reporting back as promised.

Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:41:58 pm »
Do you have also FSX installed ? Do you see any difference in FSX ? At least, that would be an indication if the problem is something related to the P3D audio, or your audio driver. If it's the audio drivers, it should affect FSX too.

egkkman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:12 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

No I don't have FSX installed. I'm not convinced it's a GSX problem BTW.

I will keep you updated just in case it helps someone else.

Dave

AirBorne

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 05:19:00 am »
By the way, may I eliminate the vehicles sounds within KLAX (and every other airport)? I think this is just too loud for someone inside a closed cockpit with its own set of of noises.
I currently use P3D 3.2 and I don't use the sim's ground vehicles. The only thing I could do to eliminate the sounds is deleting the MISC folder inside SimObjects, but for sure it brought many many errors, so it seems to be something very specific inside this MISC folder that must be removed or adjusted.
Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:47:44 am »
Be sure you use the latest GSX version, including the latest vehicles updates. DO NOT remove the Misc folder!!

AirBorne

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 01:20:07 am »
I think I have the latest version, because it's a fresh install just about one week old.
Yes, I reverted the deletion of the MISC folder, but the loud noise of land vehicles are really bothersome!