Author Topic: Runways hard to see on approach **SOLVED**  (Read 4552 times)

jimstiles

Runways hard to see on approach **SOLVED**
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:31:24 pm »
Hello,

I've tried to find something on this in the forum but unable to get any results from search. If you know of a link, please send it when you can.

I just updated my computer to Windows 10 yesterday and have only tested KDFW so far. As I was on my approach, the terminal building all looked normal but the runways/taxiways all appeared to be a blurry dirt texture until just before touchdown and then they looked clearer but still not like they used to.

What do I need to look for in the settings to possibly correct this or make them better. They looked good prior to the Windows 10 upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:13:16 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Runways hard to see on approach after Win10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:39:18 pm »
I've tried to find something on this in the forum but unable to get any results from search. If you know of a link, please send it when you can.

Yes, it has been discussed many times, and even you posted about it, and got answered:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12253.msg93146.html#msg93146

Use Anisotropic filtering at 16x.

jimstiles

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:59:30 pm »
I found that post but thought it pertained to the parking problem, didn't notice the part on the Anisotropic Filtering. Is that where I need to look?  I've upgraded my video card since that post.

Thanks,

Jim

jimstiles

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:04:37 pm »
Thanks for the help, I'll try the setting suggested. I thought this sounded familiar to me.

Thanks again.

jimstiles

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:24:50 am »
Well, I've set the Anisotropic filter to 16 on my nvidia graphics card and you can see from the picture of KDFW runway 35L the runways are still not looking right. I think the problem may be in my fsx settings. I am hoping someone here on the forum may be able to help me out. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

After I updated to Windows 10 the other day this is what things look like. I removed the fsx.cfg file and let fsx creat a new one so my settings that I had are gone. I've been playing around with the settings all day but apparently haven't found the right one yet.

Thanks for any hints.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:34:04 am »
The screenshot clearly indicates the problem IS lack of Anisotropic filtering. I think the problem might be that you have set the filtering, but forgot to also set the nVidia Control Panel to "Enhance" the application setting, which was also discussed in the previous thread I linked.

If you don't do that, the FSX settings will take over, but the best quality is obtained with the nVidia Anisotropic filtering.

jimstiles

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:01:49 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, I did check the nVidia control panel, where I set the Anisotropic Filtering to 16x but was unable to locate anything that mentioned "Enhanced". I did find the only other item with the name Anisotropic in it, it was under Texture Filtering, it was set to "Off", I changed it to "On".

I've gone through every item on the menu in the nVidia control panel menu and scrolled through the list under "Manage 3D settings" which is where I found the two items above.

Have I missed it somewhere?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 06:23:19 pm »
Yes, I think they removed the "Enhance" menu in latest versions of the drivers, it's available only for Antialiasing. But this should simply mean it should always Enhance.

However, from your screen, it really looks like you haven't enabled it, because it's the precise, exact, effect of total lack of Anisotropic filtering. There's a similar setting in FSX graphic settings too: None, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic. Try Anisotropic, with the nVidia Control Panel at 16x.

jimstiles

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 07:33:41 pm »
Thanks, that made it much better, had never messed with that setting before. Just made a quick flight from Burbank to KLAX to test it and the runways/taxiways looked normal again. I also changed FSX back to windowed mode which eliminated the "fxs stopped working" message I had been getting, at least I didn't get it on this flight or the one before.

Thanks again for the help. Sorry for posting the same questions as before, I'm 70yrs old and sometimes have problems remembering what I did yesterday. Hopefully I can keep simming for awhile, its a great pasttime and with the great airports from your team makes it that much better.

It'll probably happen again even though I try to search for the answer first, if I do just drop me the link and I'll go from there.

Thanks
Jim