Author Topic: FSX not completly shutting down.  (Read 3171 times)

johnk51

FSX not completly shutting down.
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:30:59 am »
I upgraded to windows 10 pro 64-bit.  Now after I shut down fsx with acceleration, it exits, but doesn't totally remove itself.  When I go into task manager I'll find it there not doing anything except holding on to some memory.  The other day I left the computer on all night and the next morning I went to start fsx and I was told it was already running.  I had forgot to remove it with task manager, so it just wasn't slow to end, it had all night.  I then noticed that couatl script engine for fsx/esp was still running also, but every few second the percentage of processor would change.  I downloaded and installed the latest stand alone manager, so it should be up to date.  I use GSX services and have many of the FSDT software.  It worked fine in win 7 pro 64, so maybe it's something in win 10.  I'm open to any ideas that's causing this problem.
John K

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX not completly shutting down.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:04:08 am »
The other day I left the computer on all night and the next morning I went to start fsx and I was told it was already running.  I had forgot to remove it with task manager, so it just wasn't slow to end, it had all night.  I then noticed that couatl script engine for fsx/esp was still running also.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with GSX or any of our products so, it's normal it won't be fixed by downloading anything related to FSX.

If FSX *itself* that must be able to close. If it can't, for some reason, it will not send a message (via Simconnect) to all process that IT has opened when it started so, if FSX cannot close, it's entirely normal Couatl.exe won't close as well, because is still waiting for FSX to send the order to close, which will never come as long as FSX is still running.

It worked fine in win 7 pro 64, so maybe it's something in win 10.  I'm open to any ideas that's causing this problem.

I use Windows 10 too, and FSX closes correctly every time so, sorry, but it must be something else.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:15:43 am »
I know this isn't much help, but I use Vista Home Premium, and it does that occaisonly. It will do exactly the same, even though it's FSX-SE, not just FSX.
Normally, a simple "cold" boot (power off reboot, not just a "warm" boot where you click Reboot) will stop it doing that. On my system. I always reccomend a "cold" boot. Warm boots are notoriously unreliable as far as clearing problems like that.
What causes it, I have no idea, but if it does it, and i want to keep doing other things, I just close it with the task manager, and go on about my business, rebooting when I feel like it. It doesn't do it every time, just on rare occasions. What causes it, I have no clue. I suspect it's a problem in the FSX executable someplace.
I just wanted to let you know, you aren't alone, but to me, it's a small thing, easily dealt with. No help at all, but there it is...
Pat☺

johnk51

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:13:11 pm »
I figure it has something to do with win 10.  Win 7 had no problems.  I do shut down my computer every night, so in the mornings I boot it up, and it still happens.  I'll just keep looking.
John K