Author Topic: Win 10 Preview: both the Addon Manager and the Couatl menus are missing. Solved  (Read 5285 times)

Charles246

I have dual boot up with Win 7 on one SSD  with FSX in the root menu. Here Addon Manager, Vancouver Airport and Coualt and GSX all working fine.

On another internal HD, I have installed FSX in its default place. Works fine. However after two repeated installations and uninstallations, I do not see an Addon Manager or Coualt under the Addons in the FSX menu. Installations seems to have gone fine with the latest versions of CYVR ("cyvr_fsx_setup V1.4.exe") and Addonmanager ("setup_addonmanagerX.exe"). At CYVR the sim crashes.

I have no antivirus issues because I did generate a couatl log in the Couatl folder of FSX. It is this:

couatl v2.0 (build 2378)
log started on Wed Apr 22 19:26:01 2015

connecting to SimConnect...
connected to SimConnect
bglmanx non ready yet, waiting.
disconnected from SimConnect.

Also at no point was I asked to put in my registration details for CYVR.  

My exe.xml shows:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

The relevant entry of DLL.XML shows:

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

I do have SP1 and SP2 installed of Fsx and a registered version of FSUIPC although this probably has no bearing on the problem.

Any ideas will be welcomed. I just want to see if when I make the final switch to Win10, FSX and its addons will work correctly.

Thank you,

Charles
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:46:55 pm by Charles246 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The only suggestion I can give you, is to try the new Couatl 3 Public Beta here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/board,45.0.html

If that one works, that's fine, otherwise you must consider Windows 10 to be unsupported, at least as long is not released officially.

Charles246

Thanks for the reply and the link. It would be interesting to know if the program has been successfully installed in other Win10 versions.   I will report back if I have success with the beta version.

Charles246

Re: Win 10 Preview: Addon Manager and the Couatl menus are missing:SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 07:29:43 pm »
Umberto, you will be glad to know that your product woks as expected on Windows 10 Preview Edition. Maybe thanks to the new Couatl 3 Beta.
My problem is here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11878.0.html

My Solution:

1. Removed all traces of previous Couatl and CYVR installations. Used CCleaner Registry clean (I don't trust many other cleaners for this). Rebooted.
2. Downloaded and ran Couatl 3 Public Beta from here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/board,45.0.html as per Umberto's suggestion.
3.FSX Addons showed submenu of ADDON MANAGER but no COUATL menu as yet
4. Used Addon Manager to activate my registered version of GSX. Exited FSX
5. Installed CYVR (cyvr_fsx_setup V1.4.exe). Restarted FSX. confirmed that CYVR (after activation)was showing correctly.Exited FSX
6. Ran the latest current Full GSX Installer. Started FSX. All menus are there and functional.

Win10 comes with an installed Windows Defender (same as Win 8.1) and I knew from previous experience that it doesn't complain about the installation. I would suggest though that other Antivirus should be disabled during installations. Also, when I remembered I ran the installation programs as Administrator. I can't think of anything else that may be relevant at this moment.

All is good. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

BTW, silly, embarrassing question: A couple of times I was told after installation that the backup registration key is in the home folder.I couldn't find it in Documents under my profile. Is it some other place? Maybe Win10 is a little different here.

Charles

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Win 10 Preview: Addon Manager and the Couatl menus are missing:SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:38:34 pm »
My Solution:

1. Removed all traces of previous Couatl and CYVR installations. Used CCleaner Registry clean (I don't trust many other cleaners for this). Rebooted.
2. Downloaded and ran Couatl 3 Public Beta from here: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/board,45.0.html as per Umberto's suggestion.
3.FSX Addons showed submenu of ADDON MANAGER but no COUATL menu as yet
4. Used Addon Manager to activate my registered version of GSX. Exited FSX
5. Installed CYVR (cyvr_fsx_setup V1.4.exe). Restarted FSX. confirmed that CYVR (after activation)was showing correctly.Exited FSX
6. Ran the latest current Full GSX Installer. Started FSX. All menus are there and functional.

By installing CYVR and/or GSX AFTER the Couatl 3 Beta, you downgraded the Beta back to the release version so, your Beta installation has been undone.

If everything's working now, it means even the release version would work, and your problem was just the antivirus. We never heard of problems with Windows Defender before, though.

BTW, silly, embarrassing question: A couple of times I was told after installation that the backup registration key is in the home folder.I couldn't find it in Documents under my profile. Is it some other place? Maybe Win10 is a little different here.

Your Home folder, starting from Vista and above, it's the folder with your own name, that *contains* Documents. Usually it's under C:\Users\YOURNAME

Charles246

Thank you for your explanation  regarding the use of the beta version.  Next time I have to do this I will do it in the correct order.

You misunderstood me about Windows defender. I said that "it did not complain". I meant that there was no problem with that in my three attempts of installation and I did not have to disable it at any time.  I have no other antivirus programs.

In another thread  I believe  you mentioned that if one is able to generate a log file in the Coualt directory, then the antivirus is not a problem.  I had followed your directions in generating this file.  See above. So I do not think that my antivirus was the reason I was not able to install GSX correctly.  This is proved by the fact that on my third attempt (With no change in Windows Defender) the program installed successfully and as you said, with the original release version.  It is still a mystery to myself why I was not able to do it successfully on my first attempt.  I was successful with the beta version even though I overwrote it  with the original release.   

Thank you for your help and fast response. I think others would be glad to know that your product does work  with Windows 10.