Author Topic: Installation of De-icers update  (Read 3222 times)

Selkan

Installation of De-icers update
« on: January 22, 2015, 05:22:32 pm »
I thought I might Post the following to help anyone who has experienced problems when installing the latest de-icers etc major update.

Firstly, here on my Study P. C. I have FSX/GSX installed.  This is just the demo version (not registered) that I use for testing etc.  This P.C. runs Windows XP 64bit.

I have my own full size! 737-800 home built cockpit.  The main Server P.C. for that runs Windows 7 64 bit. FSX/GSX

So, firstly I tried installing the Up-date using the Standalone Addon Manager, plus vehicle updates on my study P.C.  Fingers crossed, because I had already read about certain problems some were having.  When I went to start GSX (having already started FSX, and gone to one of the demo airports, no GSX.  It was not even shown in the drop down list from the addon menu (by pressing ALT)

So, I decided to uninstall GSX completely from my study P.C. and start again using the Full Installer.  I uninstalled GSX using Control Panel/Programs/GSX etc, but having done this, and saying YES to removing Addon Manager and Couati Engine, I discovered that one Folder was left behind and not uninstalled.

This Folder can be found as follows:-

XP    C:APP.Data/virtualli/GSX

W 7   C:/user/Server (name of P.C.)/APP.Data/Roaming/Virtuali/GSX

I removed the Folder Virtuali to my desk top, reinstalled GSX using the Full Installer and all was well.

I left well alone for a while, because my Cockpit set up is a finely tuned beast (7 net worked P.C's), and I didn't want to upset it!!

Anyway, yesterday I took the plunge and decided to update my GSX again (cockpit) using the Standalone Addon Manager.  Same thing happened; when I went to start GSX it was gone, i.e. no longer available within my addon drop down list etc.

I then uninstalled GSX to include Addon Manager and Couati engine as above.  Then found again that the Virtuali Folder as above had again not been removed.  Again I placed this on my desktop, reinstalled GSX, and apart from having to reset my Key Mapping to the keys I use for starting GSX, all was well again.

It would therefore seem to me that this Folder - Virtuali (or contents of) is what is causing this particular problem.  Within the Virtuali Folder is another Folder named GSX.  This is where ini configuation files reside.  So now from the Virtuali/GSX Folder you retained on your desktop, you can now copy back all ini files from the GSX folder back to the newly created GSX folder, and everything will be back working just fine as before, but with de-icers etc now available.

I am sorry if the above sound a little long winded, but I hope this may be of help to someone, and perhaps relieve Virtuali of some workload!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installation of De-icers update
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
It would therefore seem to me that this Folder - Virtuali (or contents of) is what is causing this particular problem.  Within the Virtuali Folder is another Folder named GSX.  This is where ini configuation files reside.  So now from the Virtuali/GSX Folder you retained on your desktop, you can now copy back all ini files from the GSX folder back to the newly created GSX folder, and everything will be back working just fine as before, but with de-icers etc now available.

It's not normal that resetting the GSX preferences would cause de-icers to work, and not doing it, would prevent de-icers to work. The only possible explanation, is that some of your preference files ( airports, airplanes, gsx settings ) got corrupted somehow, but it's not supposed to be happening.

In any case, if that's fixed the issue for you, it's good to know.

Selkan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »
Good morning Virtuali.  Just a little strange that it was exactly the same problem on both P.C.'s I mention.  As soon as I removed the 'Virtuali Folder' and did a complete full installer install, all was then well.

Anyway, I only Posted this in case it helped anyone else.  Have always loved my GSX; today here in the UK is (well last night) -4c, so later today I'll have to have those de-icers out in the Sim!!!!

Selkan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:32:25 pm »

Just thought someone might like to see a little of this.  The best bit is about 12 minutes in as I am sat on the jump seat taking the video.

Appreciate this is not really the place for this, but as I have mentioned my cockpit thought some might like to view?