Author Topic: Faster Pushback possible?  (Read 4051 times)

FlyingMax

Faster Pushback possible?
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
Hi all,
some friends of mine and me noticed that the GSX-Pushback is pretty slow - which is a bit annoying sometimes (mostly when the pushback-distance is long).
Is there any chance to fasten up the push a bit or make it selectable - let's say 3 various speeds or custom?

An example from Schiphol (but they are pretty darn fast with their push's over there :P )

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:16:33 pm by FlyingMax »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Faster Pushback possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:26 am »
The pushback speed cannot be changed, because it's obviously linked to the walking speed of the wingwalker so, if we just made the pushback truck faster, the wingwalker would remain behind, so you would still have to wait for it, which is the same as if the pushback was like it is now.

The reason why the wingwalker should say close to the pushback truck, it's because they must keep the headphones cable plugged in to talk with the pilot.

If we accelerated the wingwalker to keep up with a faster pushback truck, it would look like funny and wrong, like the silent movies from the 10-20s

The pushback video you show was made with a Towbarless truck and there was no wingwalker, so I guess they could go faster and probably had a direct audio connection with the cockpit. The video looks a bit accelerated also, because the caution lights on the pushback truck seems to pulse a bit too fast.

FlyingMax

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:12:17 pm »
Well, as you mentioned yourself, they don't have any wingwalker on the towbarless truck. I don't know how big the effort programming-wise is, but couldn't it be possible that the wingwalker just stays at his position or  climbs onto the truck for the push? I mean, you have plenty of towbarless-trucks available now. This would be a nice option :)

Here is another example, I don't think this videos are speeded up :
=2m12s

And please take it more like a suggestion, not as criticism. I really like GSX :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »
couldn't it be possible that the wingwalker just stays at his position or  climbs onto the truck for the push?

He's already doing this, but at the end of the procedure.

The issue is, there might be more than one wingwalker, sometimes two guys follows the airplane to check wings to be clear of anything, with a 3rd one following with the headset cable in hand, to talk with the cockpit, and he's the one the connect/disconnect the bypass pin and the headset. We have one wingwalker that does both tasks, and it's the same regardless of the truck.

Obviously everything is "possible", but I think this wouldn't be a big improvement to GSX.

And, of course, nothing stops you from using 2x time acceleration...which would look exactly the same as if we just accelerated the wingwalker to keep up with a truck that went twice as fast.

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 03:50:37 pm »
Well, as you mentioned yourself, they don't have any wingwalker on the towbarless truck. I don't know how big the effort programming-wise is, but couldn't it be possible that the wingwalker just stays at his position or  climbs onto the truck for the push? I mean, you have plenty of towbarless-trucks available now. This would be a nice option :)

Here is another example, I don't think this videos are speeded up :
=2m12s

And please take it more like a suggestion, not as criticism. I really like GSX :)

I agree, I've seen the same pushback speed in Copenhagen airport as well.
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1