Author Topic: End of push back stutter  (Read 2927 times)

Selkan

End of push back stutter
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »
I know this one has been talked about before, but just a thought.  Sometimes, I get a stutter at the end of the push back sequence, just as the Marshaller says 'set parking brake'

I say sometimes, because if my plane (always the default 737-800) used in my home built cockpit rolls to a gentle halt, then Marshaller speaks; no stutter.

Other times, my plane is still moving backwards just a very little bit (prior to stopping) and as Marshaller speaks, then I get a stutter.

I am assuming that the speach 'set parking brake' is triggered by ones plane actually coming to halt?  This being so, and as I say I have no stutter when completely stationary, I was wondering if it were possible to add a very short delay to the trigger so making sure ones plane has actually fully stopped, before Marshaller speaks.

I believe if this were possible, that it might stop any stutter as Marshaller speaks.

I know others have talked about this in the past, so this is just a thought I have had.  I know nothing of the complexities involved!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: End of push back stutter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:25 am »
What do you mean with stutter ? A momentary fps drop ? The whole sim doing a brief pause ? I can't see any stuttering here.

Selkan

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:22:00 am »
Yes, I think this must be a FSP drop, as everything freezes just for a split second.  But, as I say this only happens if my plane has not fully come to a halt.  This is why I just wondered if the Marshaller saying ;set parking brakes' could have a small delay built in, or even better be able to be adjusted by the user. (time delay) That's probably asking a lot.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »
I tried a pushback with the default 737-800 just now, and I can't see the smallest trace of stuttering, and I can't see how GSX could cause this, because no object is being created at that time, and if the pause was caused by loading of the wave sound for the speech, having a delay won't change anything, you'll just have the pause after the delay.

Also, all requested sounds are instanced when GSX creates a vehicle, but GSX doesn't have any control on the *exact* moment they are really loaded, all sounds in GSX are made using the standard OpenAL audio library, which in turn calls your audio card drivers, that might handle the actual memory management. Some cards, like the Soundblaster X-Fi series, have in-built memory to cache sounds and pre-load them, for the precise reason to prevent any possible stuttering that might happen when loading sounds when your system is already taxed by other tasks running the background. But, it's entirely out of our control, if your card has such feature, GSX would use it through OpenAL, provided the OpenAL implementation of the audio drivers would use it.

So, as you can see, audio is almost like a black box to us, and it's not as simple as "adding a delay".

This, assuming your stuttering (which I can't see here, and I don't have an audio card with on-board sound memory, I have a default mainboard audio) WAS caused by having to load a sound to begin with.

Selkan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:30 pm »
Thanks for your detailed response.  Actually, I do have a Soundblaster X.fi Series audio card in my main Server P.C.  Clearly, from what you have said, the matter is somewhat complex, and perhaps is therefore not a GSX issue.  As mentioned this does not happen all of the time, so I guess I will just have to live with it!

I have used GSX for a couple of years now, and am more than happy with it, and I have to say that support has always been A1.