Author Topic: CAN can't FIND AFCAD FILES FOR THIS POSITION...  (Read 7781 times)

gillesbinche

CAN can't FIND AFCAD FILES FOR THIS POSITION...
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »
Hello,

since a few days, GSX has stopped working on my system.
Error message: GSX CAN can't FIND AFCAD FILES FOR THIS POSITION...
I immediately browsed the forum to find a solution, but nothing helps to solve the problem! Couatl no longer creates the log of the scenes that he should be placed in c:\Program data\Virtuali\couatl someone has finally a solution? In annexes errors files created by Couatl (log)

thanks for your help...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: CAN can't FIND AFCAD FILES FOR THIS POSITION...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:09:11 pm »
It seems you have a file with a 0 bytes length in the c:\Program data\Virtuali\couatl folder.

Exit FSX, restart Windows, and remove that folder, then restart FSX, and it will hopefully be created again.

gillesbinche

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:21:24 am »
Hello,
I have already tried this solution, without success. I also tried to uninstall and then reinstall, with and without anti-virus, like that, without success have uninstalled the final scenes installed, without success...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:08 am »
I have already tried this solution, without success. I also tried to uninstall and then reinstall, with and without anti-virus, like that, without success have uninstalled the final scenes installed, without success...

Reinstall GSX, not the sceneries, after you remove that folder.

gillesbinche

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 11:24:50 am »
I just made the approach that you proposed. Alas, without success. The file is recreated, but tjs O bytes. (see screenshot)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:46:08 am »
Nobody ever reported this specific problem so far. The only possible explanation is that you have some kind of permission problem or another program which is blocking access to that folder.

Try to configure the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe program to run As Administrator.

gillesbinche

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »
Done, but still without success... On the other hand, I do not think to be the first to raise this problems because a search on the forum gives a few similar cases, with the same 'solutions' remained without success... When I open the menu add-ins in FSX (open), and I click on RESTART COUATL, nothing happens...

gillesbinche

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:37:42 pm »
I even tried to reinstall the older versions of GSX, but without success...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:59:53 pm »
On the other hand, I do not think to be the first to raise this problems because a search on the forum gives a few similar cases, with the same 'solutions' remained without success...

No, there isn't any case like this. You are probably confusing the 0-length problem caused by some scenery AFCAD which were of 0-length and, of course, this is easily solved by removing them.

Your case is entirely different, and it's the Couatl.bin cache staying a 0 bytes length, which as I've said nobody ever reported it so far.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »
I even tried to reinstall the older versions of GSX, but without success...

You are only losing your time if you think this is like a "GSX problem" or a bug, that might have happened in a recent version, so an older one would eventually work.

The problem is clearly a problem in your system, likely related to file access, like wrong permissions, other products interfering, etc., the problem might not be related in any way to the Couatl folder itself instead, it seems the program can't even read your scenery.cfg.

From your log, the scenery.cfg being read is located here:

C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX/scenery.cfg

Do you have a file there ? Are you running FSX in Compatibility mode maybe ? Do you have other utilities that manage the scenery.cfg, that might have locked it for access (very questionable practice) ?

gillesbinche

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 12:02:19 pm »
Hello,
first of all, I wish you a Merry Christmas to all...

The files scenery is well in place in c:\programData\Microsoft\FSX, modified with the installation of the final scenes installed.
I am working on Windows 7 full version and any FSX is configured in compatibility mode and administrator mode since many programs requires it.

What might be programs that could intervene on scenery? or block access? 

GSX revolved for at least two years, without problems.  In addition, apart from a scenes (purchased at simmarket) adds, I've nothing added on FSX as program.

Thanks for your precious help...

(translated with translator)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 09:11:42 pm »
I am working on Windows 7 full version and any FSX is configured in compatibility mode and administrator mode since many programs requires it.

That is your problem, you should never, ever run FSX into compatibility mode. There are two performances hit because of this:

- All files/folders read/write operations requested by apps will be redirected in real time.

- All registry read/write operations will be redirected too

- But the worse problem is that your video drivers will work in a reduced mode ( WDDM 1.0 instead of 1.1 ) which results in video problems, parts of buildings missing, especially when advanced shader materials are used.

If you have a non Windows 7-compliant FSX add-on modul were the (lazy) developer told you to turn on Compatibility mode (because they don't want to take their time to act properly and make it compliant), it's usually enough to run FSX in Administrator mode, without having to turn on the Compatibility mode too.

So, try to leave Run As  Administrator ON, but turn off any other Compatibility flag in that page.

gillesbinche

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:44 am »
Goodnight,
after a lot of research, tests, by uninstalling and reinstalling GSX, with your advice, I found myself searching what could produce this breakdown. I knew that until 08 December, everything worked well, (despite the compatibility mode, lol) so I started to explore the updates installed since that date.
 And then I noticed that he had installed two times the same shift (Microsoft Visual C ++ 2012 redistributable 11.0.60610) but a x 86 for the 64 bit (like my system) and an a x 64.
I uninstalled this x 64 which does not seemed to be in its place and tried following FSX, and BINGO, GSX to regenerated the cache of airports. And obviously works. I am a flight on to be certain, but I think I can say that the problem is solved.
Maybe leave it in sight in case another person meet this problem.
Thanks again for your help.
Gilles.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:25 am »
I uninstalled this x 64 which does not seemed to be in its place and tried following FSX, and BINGO, GSX to regenerated the cache of airports. And obviously works. I am a flight on to be certain, but I think I can say that the problem is solved.  Maybe leave it in sight in case another person meet this problem.

That's very strange but yes, it's useful to know. In general, the x64 redistributable should be installed only to run 64 bit apps, and of course is strange that the VS 2012 runtimes would have any effect on GSX, that uses the 2005 version (same as FSX itself), apparently that faulty installation has caused system-wide problem with file access.