Author Topic: F/A-18 Carrier Practice Arresting Wires  (Read 11466 times)

Razgriz

F/A-18 Carrier Practice Arresting Wires
« on: September 05, 2008, 10:14:31 pm »
Is there any way to get some arresting wires at an air base?  I know a custom KNPA has landing wires but they won't catch you.  I'm going to try to replicate a video.  I will be modifying an airport to use the IFLOLS, but I want to be able to trap.

Video:

reider

Re: F/A-18 Carrier Practice Arresting Wires
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:44:36 pm »
Do a search in the usual places, especially Avsim, for add on airports by jvile (Jim Vile).  An airport add on man of distinction.  He made one with an Accleration aircraft carrier deck buried in the ground, for practise purposes.  All his stuff is free as he is an enthusiast like most of us.  If you can`t find it and it sounds suitable post here and I`ll ask him about its location and download source.

I made the Acceleration carrier GPS locatable in FSX too, by a pre determined airport code but only when in port and stationary.  One version sets off at a given time but you can start on it before sailing time, from the FSX start menu.  This may help others who want to practise from the actual carrier deck but have trouble getting on board.  Its been available at Avsim for some time now in the FSX Scenery section.

Reider
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:59:59 pm by reider »

Razgriz

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:47:30 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check it out.  Is there any way to link the hud up to the IFLOLS to get the bar on the hud?

Edit:

I can't find his airport with arresting cables.

reider

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:50:49 pm »
No other details on it other than he spoke to me about it when I was making my GPS enabled carrier.  I`ll go ask him where it is and you can check it out.  Might take a little while unless he`s about.  I`ll post back as and when.

Reider

Razgriz

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:53:46 pm »
Alright, cool.  Also link me to your GPS Carrier, I'd love to fly some sorties where I can actually guide myself back because there are no real missions in FSX Acceleration that actually have a length of time.

reider

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:58:44 pm »
Go to the File Library at Avsim.  Select Flight Simulator X-Scenery and use fsx carrier as the search term, choose any that you wish from 'reider'.  I`ve posted a message for Jim and he`s usually quick to reply.....  I`ll post back asap.  He may even come in and post himself yet, he`s pretty cool and helpful like that.

Reider
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:01:18 pm by reider »

Razgriz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:51:07 am »
Okay so I got my SDK installed and edited the airport.  The ball is now in, but its halfway in the ground.. ???

reider

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:45 pm »
These are the two replies I got, one from Meshman;

There's a program named Arrestor Cables v2.6.2 which allows for the placement of cables and the likes. Available at FlightSim, file name arrcab26.zip by Rich Hogen.

If I ever find some spare time to absorb the instructions there are a few places I'd love to see cabling at...

and this one from Jim Vile himself;

There is also a utility that will turn any animated AI type Plane or Carrier into a static model. The problem with the AI Carrier that has the meatball and arrestor cables is it is a animated model and must be on a waterplan to show up. That means it has to be converted to a static model which can be done.

After it is converted to a static model then you can sink it into a runway so only a certain part of the top deck shows but then you also still have the super structure showing.

Reider

Razgriz

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 05:52:16 pm »
I'll look into ArrCab, I used to have it but it was a pain to setup the arresting zones.

Razgriz

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:34:12 am »
Only working link that I have is this.

reider

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 09:11:29 pm »