Author Topic: Buildings and Scenery Library  (Read 5634 times)

Yragorn

Buildings and Scenery Library
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:30 pm »
I've recently started unchecking sceneries where I don't fly to and it seems that all my FSDT sceneries (KLAX/KLAS/CYVR/KJFK) do not load (no buildings, only runways and jetways) once I check them, unless I restart my FSX.

For example: I want to fly from Las Vegas to Vancouver, and I check KLAS and CYVR sceneries in the Library. Once that is done, I load my flight and there are no buildings in any of those locations.

Attempt #2: I check Las Vegas and Vancouver Sceneries again. I close FSX, and start it again. Sceneries appear as normal.

Is there a way to have them work without having to restart FSX just like the rest of the sceneries? Or does FSDT require a restart in order for it to load correctly?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Buildings and Scenery Library
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:34:20 am »
Is there a way to have them work without having to restart FSX just like the rest of the sceneries? Or does FSDT require a restart in order for it to load correctly?

There isn't.

The scan of the Scenery Library is done only when FSX starts because, when you make a change on the Scenery Library even on a default scenery, you won't see all changes applied anyway (not all of them, it depends what the scenery contains, afcad behaves differently than landclass or mesh, for example) so, the only way to be absolutely sure that everything is updated, is to restart FSX, that's why the Addon Manager does the same too.

Maybe we could add an option to "Rescan Scenery Library" in the Addon Manager menu, which would useful ONLY for users with this usage pattern.

Yragorn

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »

Maybe we could add an option to "Rescan Scenery Library" in the Addon Manager menu, which would useful ONLY for users with this usage pattern.

It would be great if it does make this more convenient for us, since the PMDG777 takes quite some VAS usage and I've seen some, if not, many users starting to play with the scenery library to save some VAS

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »
It would be great if it does make this more convenient for us, since the PMDG777 takes quite some VAS usage and I've seen some, if not, many users starting to play with the scenery library to save some VAS

If saving memory is the reason, it doesn't really apply to our sceneries, since 90% of the objects (and all the most memory consuming ones) are not in the BGLs in the Scenery Library, but they are created programmatically by the Addon Manager only if you enter the scenery area (about 10NM around the airport), and destroyed as soon as you exit.

So, basically, the Addon Manager already manages memory for you in the most efficient way, without having to act on the Scenery Library.

pcubine

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:01:22 am »

If you have any MegaScenery X or Earth or other photoreal scenery installed that can be disabled in the Scenery Library but leave the airports alone.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Yragorn

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:36 am »

If you have any MegaScenery X or Earth or other photoreal scenery installed that can be disabled in the Scenery Library but leave the airports alone.

Michael Cubine

Wait, so I should only leave the airport sceneries on?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:23 pm »
Wait, so I should only leave the airport sceneries on?

No, but you must remove any AFCAD (just that .BGL) that COMES with a photoreal scenery because, same as those that comes with traffic products, they are usually supposed to be used only with the default airport.