Author Topic: Couatl not loading  (Read 6960 times)

Blackrat100

Couatl not loading
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:18 pm »
Please help, I'm having a little trouble getting GSX to load correctly.

I've just purchased GSX to use with Prepar3d but can't get the couatl engine running.

I have Win7 64bit and P3d with PMDG737NGX loaded.
When I installed GSX the following error flashed up on screen:
'Error when creating patched vehicles_airport, restoring from backup now!'
The installation then continued and finished ok.

I loaded P3D and the Addon Manager is there fine but nothing else.
I entered my serial, quit P3d and rebooted.

When I reloaded P3d the Addon Manager was still there but not the couatl entry and Ctrl-F12 did nothing.

I followed your advise in other threads and uninstalled everything (including the VC++ runtimes), turned off my anti-virus and reinstalled.
The same error showed and still no luck, no couatl.

I ran P3d with the simconnect.ini log file which gave the following:

0.00000 SimConnect version 1.4.0.0

0.07221 Exe Launch Failed:  GetLastError=0x000000D8  Path="fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe"  CommandLine="--mode=prepar3d"
0.07359 Exe Launched:  Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\Flightsim Estonia\FSX to Prepar3D Migration Tool\FSX.exe"  CommandLine="-monitor"  Version="<Unknown>"
2.00199 DLL Loaded:  Path="bglmanx.dll"  Version="2.9.0.7"

bglmanx - ok
couatl - not ok

I did try to run couatl.exe directly but I was told that this version of the file is not compatible with the version of windows I'm running. It told me to check whether I needed the 32bit or 64bit version.

I also tried the stand alone setup manager with no luck.

Any more ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl not loading
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:59:42 pm »
According to your error report ( Simconnect loading error 0x000000D8 ) and the fact you see a "wrong windows version" error when launching the file manually, it seems you have the same problem discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5820.20

Which, as usual, turned out to be caused a bugged antivirus and it was fixed by turning it off/configuring to exclude the Couatl.exe file from scanning.

Blackrat100

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:42 am »
Thanks for that.
But it still won't run.

I have completely uninstalled Avast antivirus, rebooted, re-downloaded gsx installer and tried from scratch. I even turned off windows firewall (as if that would make a difference).
Same result.
Same error in the simconnect.ini.
Couatl just won't run.

I'm also still getting the Error when creating patched vehicles_airport, restoring from backup now! problem even though I run the installer as Admin.

It seems there is a deep, deep problem with couatl considering how many problems have been reported on these forums.
Shame, because GSX looks absolutely wonderful.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:01:27 pm »
I'm also still getting the Error when creating patched vehicles_airport, restoring from backup now! problem even though I run the installer as Admin.

This is not a problem. It only means that your vehicles_airport is probably not default, so GSX installer hasn't patched it, so it has reverted to the backup it made just before trying to patch it.

The only "problem" caused by this message, is that the installer couldn't remove the default pushback truck so, you might end up seeing two of them, but not usually overlapping, since the default start position for the GSX pushback truck is not the same as the one for the default truck. So, it's really a very minor thing, that doesn't affect the installation in any way and it's not related to your other problem.

It seems there is a deep, deep problem with couatl considering how many problems have been reported on these forums.
Shame, because GSX looks absolutely wonderful.

There's no problem with Couatl whatsoever. Of all problems reported here about the ability to RUN Couatl, not a single one has ever been fixed by updating Couatl itself, they were ALL solved by the user acting on other components of his own system, being the antivirus, the firewall, a faulty Windows install, a problem with missing system libraries. We keep updating Couatl.exe on a weekly basis, but that's only to add additional features to GSX or fix bugs related to the actual GSX operations, NOT the very ability to run Couatl.exe itself, which was never a problem to begin with, and was always caused by other software installed or issues with the system configuration (missing libraries, etc.)

Your problem is exactly like the one reported in the other thread, which was caused by the antivirus. However, it's possible there might be another cause, which creates the same effect.

That error is very specific: something has changed the Windows execution configuration to make Windows wrongly believe that Couatl.exe is not made for the Windows OS, which is obviously not true, since Couatl.exe is a 100% native Windows application that works perfectly in any current Windows OS, both 32 or 64 bit.

As I've said, an external program you have installed, have created this problem. The other thread also had a similar progress: with the user being "SURE" the problem was Couatl, but it obviously wasn't.

Blackrat100

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:30:25 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is an 'error' in couatl, I'm just saying there is a problem with it. There is.

A google search for couatl shows that there are numerous problems in running it.
Any program that refuses to run on so many systems (as shown in these forums for example) has a problem. It may well be caused by something else on the system but couatl should have error trapping algorithms that explain the problem or get around it.
I've been using computers for almost 40 years and have never come across a professionally written piece of software of this size that doesn't 'get on' with other kids on the block.

I have done EVERYTHING suggested on your forums
Removed antivirus (didn't really like that idea)
Rebooted
re-downloaded gsx
re-installed gsx

Are you seriously suggesting I wipe my hard disk, reinstall windows, reinstall P3D just so I can use GSX. It ain't going to happen.

I have noticed that in several of the threads on this forum you are obviously very passionate about your program, I understand that, and any suggestion that there may be a problem with it is dismissed out of hand informing the writer that it is their fault as there is nothing wrong with your program.

I'm sure it is fine.

It just needs to be error trapped more so it can get along with the others.

Do you have a policy on refunds?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is an 'error' in couatl, I'm just saying there is a problem with it. There is.

But there isn't. The problem is in the other software that we'll eventually identify (since you seem to be sure it's not the antivirus, it must be something else) that is causing Windows to wrongly believe Couatl.exe is not a valid Windows program, when it clearly is.

A google search for couatl shows that there are numerous problems in running it.

But as I've said, NONE of these were fixed by having to change something in it, ALL of them were caused AND fixed by acting on something else, being the antivirus, or else.

Any program that refuses to run on so many systems (as shown in these forums for example) has a problem.

No, it doesn't. It only causes a problem which you already had to surface. It would have, eventually, regardless of Couatl.

It may well be caused by something else on the system but couatl should have error trapping algorithms that explain the problem or get around it.

That's not the case. We are discussing on something that happens even BEFORE Couatl has the chance to start. So, there's not "trapping" that Couatl can do, if it doesn't even get the chance to start.

I've been using computers for almost 40 years and have never come across a professionally written piece of software of this size that doesn't 'get on' with other kids on the block.

Then you must have been very lucky...and size doesn't have anything to do with it. Couatl is small because it's pure executable code written in C++, and the .exe is just a small part of it, since if you check its folder, you'll find hundreds of support files.

But as I've said, any discussion about its own complexity, as if that might be an indication of the chance to have undetected bugs, is not relevant in this context at all, since the program doesn't even get a chance to start, so the issue is entirely related to the OS, being tricked by something that it's not supposed to allow that .exe to start.

I have done EVERYTHING suggested on your forums

If still not running, it can only means there are other things you haven't tried.

Removed antivirus (didn't really like that idea)

Nobody told you to do that. The solution about the antivirus was always to:

- Download and install when it's OFF

- Configure it properly to exclude the Couatl.exe file from scanning.

- Turn it back on

re-downloaded gsx
re-installed gsx

Since the problem is caused by something external to any of our products, you must act on those external causes.

Are you seriously suggesting I wipe my hard disk, reinstall windows, reinstall P3D just so I can use GSX. It ain't going to happen.

Nobody told you that of course. Yes, the problem will likely be fixed that way, eventually proving it was never GSX to begin with, but I haven't said to do that.

I have noticed that in several of the threads on this forum you are obviously very passionate about your program, I understand that, and any suggestion that there may be a problem with it is dismissed out of hand informing the writer that it is their fault as there is nothing wrong with your program.

No, I'm only sticking to the facts. And facts are, in all the these threads you are referring to, it ALWAYS turned to be something else.

I'll repeat it again: NONE of the problems that were caused by Couatl.exe not even starting, were NEVER, EVER fixed by changing something with it. There were ALL fixed (and they all were) by doing something else, finding the offending products, fixing whatever system problem the user already had, which affected Couatl.

It just needs to be error trapped more so it can get along with the others.

You mean, trying to find which of those "other", is causing the issue, and not getting along with it.

Do you have a policy on refunds?

Surely not, because all our products are sold in Trial version, and the whole point of having a Trial version, is that you can check for any incompatibility with your system and/or your other installed products, because you can download and install BEFORE purchasing. This is of course explained on the License agreement you must agree on in order to complete the purchase, if it wasn't already logical that a product sold in Trial version, doesn't usually come with a refund policy for reason that "it doesn't work", because you are given plenty of chances to check it does.

But of course, not having a right to a refund, doesn't mean you will not be supported until the problem is fixed so, let's try it again.

You can start by trying to identify what OTHER program you are running which might cause this. Try, for example, to disable every other .EXE that starts with P3D, by setting the line

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

in the %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\EXE.XML file. Disable them all, except Couatl.exe of course, and if it runs, you would KNOW it's something that runs together with P3D.

If still doesn't work that way, you would know is NOT something that runs with P3D, but something that start/runs in Windows.

Knowing this, could be a starting point.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:34:47 pm by virtuali »

Blackrat100

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:51 pm »
OK thanks, I look around.
Sorry for the rush of blood to my head but it was at a time I was getting very frustrated with GSX not working on my system.
I lashed out a little.

Blackrat100

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:22:15 pm »
OK, SORTED

I completely wiped it from my system and reinstalled GSX WITH MY INTERNET CONNECTION TURNED OFF.

It couldn't update so used the 'local files' to install.

BINGO
WORKING

;D

Before, the couatl.exe file was about 69k and wouldn't run.
Preventing it updating, the file is 1559k and runs fine.

I really hate computers sometimes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:29:45 pm »
Before, the couatl.exe file was about 69k and wouldn't run. Preventing it updating, the file is 1559k and runs fine.

That unusual small size looks like some kind of error document, instead of the actual file.

A possible explanation could be that you had some kind of firewall or other security products that blocked online access to the "real" Couatl.exe, and instead got you some kind of html reply, which maybe included an error report of some kind, maybe related to the problem accessing the file.

In fact, I was going to suggest to check the Couatl.exe digital signature, which is a way to insure the file has arrived safely in your system. We digitally sign all our executables so, if they are not bit-by-bit identical as they are supposed to be, the digital signature will not be valid, that's a way to be sure a download went fine.

Blackrat100

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »
And if the digital signature is not right is there no message that can be sent to the user to inform them of the fact rather than leave it as a guessing game?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:39:29 pm »
And if the digital signature is not right is there no message that can be sent to the user to inform them of the fact rather than leave it as a guessing game?

Normally, there is one. When a program doesn't have a digital signature, you'll see a warning from Windows stating the developer identity can't be verified, and if the digital signature is not valid or expired, a different message will warn you about it.

But, unfortunately, this is only true for executables that are valid (not corrupted), although a wrong/missing/expired signature.

In this case, the file was corrupted because of a bad download so, Windows won't even try to check if there IS a digital signature in the first place, and instead is giving that ambiguous message which looks like the program is "not compatible with the OS" for some obscure reason. In this case, the only way to check if the downloaded file is correct, is to check the digital signature yourself.