Author Topic: Question/request about Airport Cache Regeneration  (Read 3039 times)

Holy Cheese

Question/request about Airport Cache Regeneration
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »
Hi Umberto,

my "problem" is that I have recently installed FTX Global from ORBX, and already also have all of their other regions (North America, Europe, Oceania) and airports. Since installing Global, I now find myself changing regions in the FTX Central console much more often than I used to, and Global seems to have changed in some way how the scenery.cfg is handled.

Each change of region causes a new scenery database to be built, which in turn causes GSX to want to regenerate the airport cache every time. On my setup, this is quite a lengthy process, takes about 5 minutes each time. Before Global, I was only getting this regeneration if I added a new airport.

I realize this is no fault of GSX and FSDT, so I was just wondering:

1) What happens if I simply ignore the request to please wait while GSX regenerates the airport cache
2) Is there any way to make the regeneration a manual request to which I could say no, rather than it being automatic?

Thanks for your input.
Jack

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Question/request about Airport Cache Regeneration
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:22:54 pm »
1) What happens if I simply ignore the request to please wait while GSX regenerates the airport cache

It's not a request you can ignore, it's just a message informing you the cache regeneration is in process, so you can't use GSX until the process is finished.

2) Is there any way to make the regeneration a manual request to which I could say no, rather than it being automatic?

We would have to add some kind of option to do that, and it will cause additional support problems for us, because users WILL forget to do it (we have to reply to MANY emails each day for users that don't know what to do when they lost their purchase receipt, when it's clearly explained on the manual, on the FAQ page of the site and on the forum too...), and they will wonder why GSX doesn't recognize a new airport.

Holy Cheese

Re: Question/request about Airport Cache Regeneration
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »
1) Ah, ok - thanks Umberto, understand.

2) No problem, I don't expect FSDT to have to add anything which would cause more support work, you have enough on your plate here as it is :). In any case, as I said, I don't consider it to be a problem of FSDT to solve.

Thanks for your prompt attention.

Jack