Author Topic: Catering truck strange behaviour  (Read 6436 times)

edspace

Catering truck strange behaviour
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Hi,

Really enjoy having GSX on my system but a couple of annoying things are bugging me. The rear baggage loader always drives right through the wing of my aircraft ( Aerosoft AXE ) when it goes off to collect the luggage. The front loader goes around the wing correctly. The rear Catering Truck drives through the back of the plane stops at the right position for the rear door and then spins 180 degrees to the correct position - which looks ridiculous. Tested at default airports and payware airports - different parking spaces. I'll try uploading a video if it helps.

Is there anything I can delete - reinstall - customise to correct this.

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Catering truck strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
The rear baggage loader always drives right through the wing of my aircraft ( Aerosoft AXE ) when it goes off to collect the luggage

Checked, doesn't happen here.

The rear Catering Truck drives through the back of the plane stops at the right position for the rear door and then spins 180 degrees to the correct position

Doesn't happen here too.

Is there anything I can delete - reinstall - customise to correct this.

It looks like some customization you made wasn't correct, 180 deg, turns looks like reversed doors. In the "GSX Customize Aircraft" menu, there's an option to Reset the configuration and discard all your customizations. This will revert to the configuration that comes with GSX, which should be enough, since the Airbus Extended is an internally supported airplane.

edspace

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:52:42 pm »
Limited success trying the reset method.  It seems the catering truck always does something weird at most gates in all airports. Could you suggest some default airports and gates where this does not occur on your system and then I'll see how they work on mine.

Is there a reset somewhere - or files to delete for a default GSX.

I'll keep testing.

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:26:00 am »
Is there a reset somewhere - or files to delete for a default GSX.

The %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini stores your GSX preferences, and the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX folder stores all your customized airports.

It's possible that an airport you customized is causing this so, by removing its customization file, you reset GSX to work only with the AFCAD data. Of course, you might want to move the file instead of removing it, so you still have a copy.

But the opposite might be true: it's happening *because* you haven't customized it, for example if the parking radius in the AFCAD is too small, it might have some effect on vehicles approaches and movements, that's one of the reason why we have the option to override it in the parking customization page.

edspace

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:57:47 am »
Renamed %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini and tried again. same issue. I would like to be able to confirm that it is not my installation that is at fault, because if it is I'll try to discover why.

So I choose a random location. Default airport. KSEA - B 9 Gate medium. Called the catering services and watched as the front catering truck took a sensible path to the front door but the rear truck took a route through the back of my plane, stopped facing the wrong way and spun around 180 degrees. Could you try this gate for me and confirm that yours works fine.

Personally I believe the logic is wrong for the rear catering truck, and if the service road is too close to plane weird things will happen.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »
Renamed %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini and tried again. same issue. I would like to be able to confirm that it is not my installation that is at fault, because if it is I'll try to discover why.

As I've said in my previous message, that file will only reset your preferences, but what can cause this is:

- A problem with a customization you made, and those are stored in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX folder, there's a .ini file for each airport you ever customized.

- A problem because of the LACK of airport customization, which as I've said in my previous message, might be related to the parking radius in the scenery AFCAD being too small for your airplane.

Could you try this gate for me and confirm that yours works fine.

You don't say which airplane you used for this test. Again the Aerosoft Airbus ?

Personally I believe the logic is wrong for the rear catering truck, and if the service road is too close to plane weird things will happen.

We should first check the fact, before starting to believe something. Don't you think that, if the rear catering truck logic was wrong, someone else might have noticed it before ?

edspace

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »
The %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX was empty of any customisations. I decided to use the default A321 for the test so we all have this default airplane. Set up again at the gate in the previous message. Same thing occurs. I understand it may be due to a LACK of customisation. What I want to know is, does this happen to everyone or is it just me?

Regards

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 04:02:20 pm »
What I want to know is, does this happen to everyone or is it just me?

I think it's a problem of that specific parking you chose. Try C9, C11, C15 at KSEA, it works fine, B9 has the last AFCAD node on the vehicles taxiway very close to the parking, but not close enough to be rejected by GSX, which has a protection against nodes inside the parking spot.

Enlarging the rejection threshold should prevent this, if you check for updates now, you should see the update notification already.

edspace

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 04:53:34 pm »
Ok, downloaded update and checked at the gate. Problem is gone. The trucks seem to take a wider path to the doors now which might conflict with other things. I'll check elsewhere as well.

Thanks.

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:08 pm »
The trucks seem to take a wider path to the doors now which might conflict with other things.

That's was the reasoning behind the approach path being closer to the airplane to begin with, the closest you go to the airplane, the less chance for a conflict with scenery objects, vehicles, etc.

The parameter changed it's a threshold to remove all the existing AFCAD nodes in a certain radius around the parked airplane, the approach path will still happen over exiting AFCAD nodes, it's just that with a larger threshold, the one closer to the parking which caused the problem on that parking, is now being rejected.

edspace

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:27 pm »
Have done some testing on random medium gates and this update seems worse. I now have both trucks going through either my aircraft or the one next to me. Please change it back. I'd like to know if it is possible to see the logic behind how the various vehicles choose their paths to the doors. I'd like to hope there could be a better way.

Thanks for your efforts.

Ed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 11:13:53 am »
Have done some testing on random medium gates and this update seems worse. I now have both trucks going through either my aircraft or the one next to me.

That's to be expected, the previous value was reasonable enough, but didn't work with some parkings like that one.

I'd like to know if it is possible to see the logic behind how the various vehicles choose their paths to the doors.

As I've already explained in my previous message, that particular situation is the result of having to throw away AFCAD nodes too close to the parking itself, otherwise the vehicle will try to follow them all, when they are already too close to the airplane to be able to maneuver.

But if we enlarge the threshold too much, the last AFCAD node might be too far instead, and the path between that one and the parked airplane might cross something, like another airplane or another vehicle.

I'd like to hope there could be a better way

When you have to deal with external data such a random AFCAD, it's very difficult to have something that will always work everywhere, that's why the previous threshold value was quite small, in order to remove only the really obvious problems (such as a node *inside* the parking radius).

Perhaps it might be possible to calculate intermediate nodes, but still something might end up in between, because we don't really know what's inside the scenery, only the AFCAD designer really does (or, at least, he's supposed to).