Author Topic: GSX Strange Behaviour  (Read 6255 times)

Eisbahn

GSX Strange Behaviour
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
Hallo Umberto,
I have re-installed FSX and all sceneries and add-ons.
I  have installed FSDT JFK V2, FSDT ZürichX and FSDT Geneva. After each install I ran FSX to check everything was working.
I have both the Addon Manager and Couatl.exe in the FSX menu bar. When I now install GSX there is a big problem.
At first the message appears that GSX is updating the scenery cache. When I now press CTRL+F12 nothing happens but the Couatl.exe entry in the FSX menu bar disappears. This also happens if I try to access the GSX settings.
This happens at every airport and with every aircraft. Addon Manager states GSX is installed and active. When I remove GSX everything returns to normal. I also do not have any  Couatl.err file. I have tried installing GSX with the full installer but the problem remains.
Any help is appreciated.
Regards Terry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Strange Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »
At first the message appears that GSX is updating the scenery cache. When I now press CTRL+F12 nothing happens but the Couatl.exe entry in the FSX menu bar disappears. This also happens if I try to access the GSX settings.

It's possible a faulty scenery in your library is causing GSX to crash when updating its cache. Even if you don't have any Couatl.ERR log, enable logging in the GSX Settings and post your Couatl.LOG instead.

Eisbahn

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10:08 pm »
Hallo Umberto,
Thanks for the reply.
How can I enable logging in the GSX settings? It disappears immediately I click on the Couatl.exe entry in the menu bar so that I can not access the settings screen.

Regards Terry

Eisbahn

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:51 pm »
Umberto,
I have created the enclosed couatl log. I have also enclosed the Windows 7 event log.
Before running FSX I deleted the SceneryIndexes folder.
I started FSX and GSX restored the cache. After it finished, I opened the Addons menu.
After approximately 3 seconds the Couatl.exe entry just disappeared.
Terry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »
Try to run FSX As Administrator.

Eisbahn

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »
I am running FSX as administrator and there is no difference.
After a few seconds Couatl.exe disappears.
I have also checked the dll.xml and the exe.xml files and they are correct.

Terry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:56:59 pm »
I am running FSX as administrator and there is no difference. After a few seconds Couatl.exe disappears.

The problem is your cache, as indicated in your log file:

Airport cache not valid: file meta.txt not found or malformed

Try to remove the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl

And try again.

Another possible reason, is some kind of external program, such an antivirus, blocking access to the C:\ProgramData folder, so the Couatl program is blocked from using it.

Eisbahn

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:14:32 pm »
No change I'm afraid.
Something else I have noticed. When GSX starts restoring the cache it only reaches 11%.
Should I delete all scenery and test each time after re-installing.
I do not want to do this if it is not necessary because it is a lot of work.
The firewall is set to let Couatl through and the only anti-virus I have is Microsoft Essentials.
I have now set this to exclude Couatl  but still no difference.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:41:50 pm »
Should I delete all scenery and test each time after re-installing.
I do not want to do this if it is not necessary because it is a lot of work.

Don't delete anything: just disable every 3rd party scenery in the Scenery Library, and then enable each area, one by one, exiting and restarting FSX at each try, until you find if there's a scenery that creates the problem. Once you find the folder, it should be easier to spot the problem .BGL, maybe it's just a corrupted file.

Eisbahn

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »
Hallo Umberto,
I could not find any other addon that is causing this problem.
I have now tried everything you have suggested without success. I am also trying to find something myself without success.
Couatl.exe starts normally and the restore of the cache stops at approximately 16%. Then after a few seconds Couatl.exe disappears. I have enclosed the last two Windows event logs. You can see that Couatl.exe is stopping.
What is Exception Code 0xc0000005? On Google there are hundreds of reasons for this fault.
What is Couatl.exe trying to access immediately after the start of FSX? If I knew that I could perhaps look further.
I have checked that the Program Data folder is shared.
FSX is running on Drive D:\. However, The Program Data folder is on Drive C:\. Is this correct?
Thanks for all your help.
Terry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:16:39 am »
What is Exception Code 0xc0000005? On Google there are hundreds of reasons for this fault.

It's the most generic error you can imagine, an access violation, which is an attempt to write in a memory area that you are not supposed to access. This is usually caused by a program that is trying to parse files and find something unexpected, such a file that don't conform to its standard file format, or simply a corrupted file.

What is Couatl.exe trying to access immediately after the start of FSX? If I knew that I could perhaps look further.

The AFCADs for all your sceneries active in the Scenery Library, in order to build a cache of them, that will allow it to access the needed file faster in case you use that airport. The cache rebuild is done only when you add/remove a scenery OR (and this is your case) if the previous startup, the cache couldn't be rebuilt entirely (due to the program crashes)

FSX is running on Drive D:\. However, The Program Data folder is on Drive C:\. Is this correct?

That's not a problem. I'm fairly sure the problem must be one of your AFCADs which is either corrupted or not entirely standard.

Eisbahn

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:38:19 am »
Hallo Umberto,
I am pleased to say this problem is now solved. I deleted all the scenery addons, except those from FSDT and UK2000, because I know they function correctly, and everything is now back to normal. In future I will only load the airport scenery I need for the flight, until I find the AFCAD causing the problem.
I wish to thank you for all your help.
Regards Terry