Author Topic: Elevation issue?  (Read 5617 times)

Kosta

Elevation issue?
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:11:32 am »
Pulling my hairs already... I deactivated everything that can be deactivated in FSX, checked the remaining folders and I still get THIS:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31158446/kjfk%20elevation%20problem.jpg

Is this normal, can it be I didn't notice it before, or is this an issue?
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Elevation issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:38 am »
It seems you have your Mesh resolution too high. Try 10 meters.

Kosta

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:22:12 am »
I lowered the resolution, but is this really a solution? Besides, see the fence, it still hovers in the air... and the water is elevated.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31158446/kjfk%20elevation%20problem2.jpg
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
I lowered the resolution, but is this really a solution? Besides, see the fence, it still hovers in the air... and the water is elevated.

If you lower the resolution, you fix the slopes problem, but then the flatten that comes with JFK will have less precision, so it wil not be able to follow the coastline.

The problem is not caused by JFK, but from an addon mesh scenery you installed. Note that mesh sceneries will always appear even if they are on a lower layer on the Scenery Library. JFK doesn't come with a mesh, it only comes with a flatten for the water areas ONLY which, as indicated in your first screenshot, was working fine, because the water was correct, but the strange slopes were caused by your add-on mesh, since I don't think the default scenery there has that resolution.

Kosta

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:48:38 pm »
OK look... I disabled EVERY piece of scenery, mesh I have, and with KJFK only, I still have raised water and the fence problem at that place. Looks simply odd.

Then I did a 2nd test, KJFK OFF, default scenery only - no raised water and no fence in the air.

3rd test, UTX USA on, no FSGlobal... still no raised water nor fence in the air.

4th test, add FSGlobal... still no raised water nor fence in the air.

Even tested with full mesh quality, and had no problems really.

And finally... KJFK on... raised water, fence in the air.

IMO the flatten is not correctly positioned, and it reaches too far out, into the water, and doesn't reach around the fence, or the fence is positioned wrongly. Whatever... I ain't the scenery developer.

Can't this be solved differently? The default KJFK scenery doesn't have harsh walls around the airport, even at the highest mesh, and this being one of the arrivals I actually use quite often, I hate seeing the "water-wall" just before touchdown!
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
The flatten is correct, but it was made for a lower mesh resolution (JFK was released in 2008, nobody could afford 1m mesh resolution in that area back then, 19m was the maximum resolution in FS9...), so it's more noticeable with high settings.

We'll have to redo the whole ground in JFK anyway, so this will be made way better with the next version.

Kosta

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:11:42 pm »
You say it's correct, but even with the 10m mesh, the water is raised. How can it be correct when that happens?

One thing I always respected with your sceneries is detail and correctness. I'd really look forward to fixing/redoing of KJFK, to make the approach look good.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:13:19 pm by Kosta »
Regards, Kosta

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:32:29 pm »
You say it's correct, but even with the 10m mesh, the water is raised. How can it be correct when that happens?

I should have said: it's as correct as possible as *that* method of making ground in FSX allows.

So, it simply can't be fixed as long as the ground remains as it is now. We'll use an entirely different method with the next version that shouldn't require a flatten precision that FSX doesn't have in the first place.

Kosta

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »
Aha, OK.

So I can rest in peace for now, the "issue" I'm seeing right now is actually by design, and is not a fault of my simulator...
Regards, Kosta