Author Topic: Crisp(y) Meatball  (Read 10719 times)

GOONIE

Crisp(y) Meatball
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
If you use Dante's light fix (new halo.bmp), and adjust your light scalers in FSX.CFG to the following:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.1
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.1
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.1
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5

You can get a really crisp meatball (see pics), looks really good from 3/4 mile all the way in. 8)

Apologize if this is old news, just wanted to share in case you still have a huge glow/halo around the ball.

-CAPT
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Herbie

Re: Crisp(y) Meatball
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »
If you use Dante's light fix (new halo.bmp), and adjust your light scalers in FSX.CFG to the following:

You can get a really crisp meatball (see pics), looks really good from 3/4 mile all the way in. 8)

Apologize if this is old news, just wanted to share in case you still have a huge glow/halo around the ball.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, this is good news. I had to reinstall FSX, now every things is in Order at the Nimitz. Aircrafts standing on the Deck, not hanging in the air as before. Question: In what CFG-file is the entry? Main-fsx-folder or aircraft-folder. Dantes info show:

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.7
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.5
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.7
A little different as yours. Would like to hear from you. Herb

GOONIE

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:07 pm »
Herbie,
If you've got XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\(Your Windows User Name)\Microsoft\FSX
If you've got Vista/Win 7: C:\Users\(Your Windows User Name)\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
Note that you'll have to tick on 'show hidden files/folders' under folder options. Otherwise you'll not be able to see these hidden files.

-CAPT

P.S. When editing your fsx.cfg, don't forget to make a backup first...

Latest meatball comparison pic (FSX vs Realworld)

neptune07

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 11:19:48 pm »
CaptH,

Please tell me where I can find Dante's New Halo.bmp. I have searched FltSim and AvSim. Thanks,  Bill

GOONIE

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
try this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:12:16 pm by capthaltli »

Orion

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »
Just a warning: If you use something like REX or FTX, it will overwrite your halo.bmp the next time you install their textures.

MacK

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 10:19:34 pm »
Umm, guys, this might seem a bit thick but, I cant find any of the below lines anywhere in my FSX.CFG. What would they be under and should they be quite obvious? It's possibly why the meatball on my carrier is pretty difficult to see. Any help would be much appreciated.

MacK

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:09:53 pm »
It's okay, I found an ancient cfg file that had the details of where to put the lines. Never throw anything away.       ;D

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:02:00 am »
Mack...

Sorry for the late reply. After my NUKE, Win7 Pro upgrade and FSX install, I wasnt able to see the carrier lights outside of 1.5 miles...?? Then, after REX, I am able to see them flashing (above glideslope waveoff) at 2.0 NM or more. I think Orion hit the nail on the head, as REX rewrites the lights and makes them crisper and visible at longer distances.

I posted here with my initial problems and the consensus at the time was that it was part of the model and lighting plane "cutoff distance" but after installing REX2 Essential (now upgraded), I can see the carrier FLOLS at 2.0 NM distance.

Goonie...

Quick question. I use the Dante's Lights Fix and use all the same scalar numbers except the STROBE scalar = 1.5... that works for you really well? I'm guessing you experimented and came up with this? REX2 user?

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:00:04 pm »
Sludge,
I am a REX 2 user, and I set the lights in REX UI to minimal. Those scalers work best for me with my setup, huge difference in the clarity of the ball, which matches the pictures and video I've seen online.

My buddy who flies super hornets and got me in the sim in KNTU is coming over to my place tomorrow. Might have to give him a go on the Sludge. I'll give you a debrief if it works out.

-GOONIE

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »
Goonie...

Yeah, I hear you there. I do the same thing. I think that whole light "overshine" is, well, OVERDONE in FSX, so I go minimalist too.

Definately will be good to hear what he has to say. Also, load up JIMIs FSXBA Hornet for him and let him go on that, as we have worked on similar things and we'd both appreciate the feedback.

Later
Sludge