Author Topic: Unable to modify parking spot properities or sound output device?  (Read 4963 times)

ottonie

Hello.

Just got my GSX after a quick test with the trial. The product works otherwise just fine, but I cannot modify the parking spot properities, no matter what airport? By this I mean the settings screen where you can tick on and off jetways, staircases, pushback directions etc. When I modify something (say I don't want staircases) and click 'apply' nothing happens. Only way to get out of the settings screen is to click 'cancel' or the X from the top bar.

Same kind if behaviour happens when I was trying to switch the GSX-sounds to be played from my USB-headset. I select the headset from the list of devices and click apply, nothing happens. If I select back the normal speakers and click apply everything goes as it should, apply goes "blank" (or whatever you want to call it, anyways telling you that you haven't changed anything since your last press of the 'apply' and hence you cannot press 'apply'). It's as if I would be unable to change some default settings?

Other settings like the time-settings etc. are totally customizable, no problems whatsoever. I'm running my FSX as admin without any compatible modes enabled.

Is my installation broken or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Please ask if you need more details, this was just a quick briefing of what's going on.

tf51d

Re: Unable to modify parking spot properities or sound output device?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »
I think you're misunderstanding how the Apply button works. First you make the change, then hit apply, the window will stay open, this is so you can make additional changes in the same session if you choose. Once you hit apply the apply button should no longer be selectable, unless you make additional changes. You exit the screen by hitting the x on the upper righthand corner of the screen. Any changes you hit apply to should now have taken place. Note the problem I just reported on selecting Right or Left for pushback. Both works fine though.

ottonie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:04:42 pm »
I think you're misunderstanding how the Apply button works. First you make the change, then hit apply, the window will stay open, this is so you can make additional changes in the same session if you choose. Once you hit apply the apply button should no longer be selectable, unless you make additional changes. You exit the screen by hitting the x on the upper righthand corner of the screen. Any changes you hit apply to should now have taken place. Note the problem I just reported on selecting Right or Left for pushback. Both works fine though.
I think that in my lifetime of using computers I do know what the apply does and how it's supposed to work.
The problem here is that I cannot edit any of the things I wrote about since the apply doesn't work. If I change something, try to hit apply and then quit and go back the setting is back to the default (since the apply doesn't do anything)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:29:28 pm »
The problem is not the Apply button that doesn't do anything, because it obviously does, and settings are saved on the configuration fies the moment you press the Apply button.

What might happening on your system, is that your local %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder can't be written for some reason, this might happen if you switch the XP Compatibility mode for FSX after installing, or you create a new user account, or with generic problems with your user account.

Some users reported that creating a new user login, running FSX once under this new account, then log back with the usual one, might fix such problems.

tf51d

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »
I think that in my lifetime of using computers I do know what the apply does and how it's supposed to work.
The problem here is that I cannot edit any of the things I wrote about since the apply doesn't work. If I change something, try to hit apply and then quit and go back the setting is back to the default (since the apply doesn't do anything)

With all due respect, How am I suppose to know what your computer background is? I responded the way I did because of what you specifically posted

"When I modify something (say I don't want staircases) and click 'apply' nothing happens. Only way to get out of the settings screen is to click 'cancel' or the X from the top bar."

To me it read like you didn't know what the "Apply" Button did, and you expected the screen to close when you hit it.

ottonie

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:58:44 pm »
The problem is not the Apply button that doesn't do anything, because it obviously does, and settings are saved on the configuration fies the moment you press the Apply button.

What might happening on your system, is that your local %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder can't be written for some reason, this might happen if you switch the XP Compatibility mode for FSX after installing, or you create a new user account, or with generic problems with your user account.

Some users reported that creating a new user login, running FSX once under this new account, then log back with the usual one, might fix such problems.

This might just be the case; after installation of GSX I did another account for simming only with themes and everything disabled to allow 100% resources for the sim and other stuff that runs around it. I'll give your advice a test and report back!

With all due respect, How am I suppose to know what your computer background is? I responded the way I did because of what you specifically posted

"When I modify something (say I don't want staircases) and click 'apply' nothing happens. Only way to get out of the settings screen is to click 'cancel' or the X from the top bar."

To me it read like you didn't know what the "Apply" Button did, and you expected the screen to close when you hit it.
Allright, now as I read your reply and quotes more closely I understand what you mean. I did write the first message little bit unclearly, perhaps I should've put it some other way to avoid confusions. My reply was indeed little bit too aggressive and I want to apologize you for that.

EDIT: Now as I logged in to my simming-account on my Windows I actually saw that GSX was not even listed in the addons of my sim (as I did the original installation on my normal account). However after installing it on this user as well it doesn't seem to work out, will test your advice anyways.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:08:16 pm by ottonie »

ottonie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
Allrighty, thanks very much, your advice worked. I created an account "temp", ran FSX on that once and then logged back to my simming account and I can edit the parking spot properities now just fine.

The audio device -thing doesn't work still though, I can switch between my normal sound card and it's headphones (I have front ports for the headphones displayed as a separate device, came in handy when flying online with my old non-USB-headset with ATC coming out of the headset and other audio from the speakers) as the output device, but GSX doesn't want to change my Logitech USB-headset as its output device. This is anyways is an issue I'm able to live with, so I thank you from your quick help!

tf51d

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:29 am »
Allright, now as I read your reply and quotes more closely I understand what you mean. I did write the first message little bit unclearly, perhaps I should've put it some other way to avoid confusions. My reply was indeed little bit too aggressive and I want to apologize you for that.

No problem, I realize it's hard sometimes to interpret ones intentions, while posting on the net at times, and I admit my own response to you, may have been a little too defensive then it should have been. I'm glad you got your problem worked out!!