Author Topic: Visual External Fuel Tank?  (Read 6104 times)

Ifresh21

Visual External Fuel Tank?
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
I know that it is possible to go into the aircraft.cfg and add external fuel tanks. 
However, is it possible to add a visual representation of those external fuel tanks?  Like in the xload f-18?

I might add the external fuel tanks by that regular method but I have a question about how to do it:
once your in the aircraft.cfg, what do you type in and where do you type it in to add an external fuel tank?  I'd probably want to add one to each wing(possibly one centerline if possible/how do i do that also) with each tank having a 330 gallon capacity.  330 gallons seems like a legit capacity ( I found this http://www.cyclone-aviation.com/?catid={298AB1DC-6FC1-4BDE-8BBD-D9C43F2F9713}#{B65526B8-5614-4178-8C86-92C0FC06D81D} ).

Im not sure but I was looking around the forums and I think you might have to actually add the coordinance for the fuel tanks in order to add them?  If this is the case would it be possible for one of you guys to maybe take the fuel tank coordinance out of the xload f 18 cfg (assuming it has one and everything)?  I was also thinking of kinda taking the files that visually make up the xload f 18 fuel tanks and put those into the acceleration f 18 if possible.  That was kinda onea my ideas for doing a visual representation on the acceleration f 18.

One last thing, when you add the fuel tanks to the cfg is it possible to drop them using the drop fuel tanks button (I think fsx has that)?

Edit:Is it possible to create a fuel tank in like something free like gmax and than use coordinance to add this to the airplane?(assuming no one has made fuel tanks in the past and its not directly in the xload f 18)

Sorry for all the questions guys. 
Thanks a lot in advance.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:26:29 am by Ifresh21 »

Razgriz

Re: Visual External Fuel Tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:25 pm »
I wish so much.  Unfortunately, we would have to physically model in the tanks so you could visually see it.

Ifresh21

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:42:22 pm »
physically model in the tanks so you could visually see it.
Well would it at all be possible to model it into the f 18?

Also are the fuel tanks droppable in the captain sim or via the modded aircraft cfg?

Does the captain sim f 18 cause a drop in framerrates relative to the acceleration f 18?

In a multiplayer session, what will the captain sim f 18 appear as to the rest of the players? (will it be the usual learjet or w.e?  Is there a way  to change this?

Thanks

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
Hi Ifresh,

ADDING TANKS TO THE VISUAL MODEL
I'm afraid the answer is "no". It's impossible to make any changes to the visual model unless you possess the original 3D model (i.e. the Gmax or 3DStudio source files created by the author).
The 3D models are never released to the public, and there is no conversion program I am aware of at time of writing that can convert .MDL files back into editable 3D models.

Also, I wish there was but as far as I am aware there is no MDL editor for FSX available that would allow you make small tweaks directly to a model (for example, that might allow you to add or remove attach points in the model for effects etc).

The Xload F18 is based on the Acceleration Pack F18 model but has been developed much further (Captain Sim made both models). It has virtually exactly the same FPS performance in FSX.

ADDING FUEL
On your question about adding fuel in the aircraft.cfg file; there's quite a lot you can do. All the editing is done in the [fuel] section of the file.

There are two threads in this forum about it. They give usable examples for adding fuel to the physics model, including the coordinates of the tanks. (the coordinates affect the centre-of-gravity of the aircraft, they are not related to the visual model)
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=359.msg2075#msg2075
and
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=424.0

The multiplayer model appearance is discussed in one of those threads too. For those who don't have the model it appears as a Learjet 45.

Hope this answers most of your questions.
Regards,
Voodoo
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:01:11 pm by Voodoo »
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

Ifresh21

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:46:43 pm »
Thanks a lot Voodoo.  That really cleared up like everything for me. 
Too bad they didnt make it so u can edit the models. 
I guess ill just add the fuel via cfg.  I really neeed it sometimes when i play online cuz im crazy with the afterburners :D