Author Topic: GSX Demo Blocked and Will not Install!!!  (Read 5677 times)

JMaurtua

GSX Demo Blocked and Will not Install!!!
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:39 pm »
I tried installing the gsx demo but It is blocked. I have to turn off the UAC to use it. Once I do that, It woun't install!!!!

Here's a picture...
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s401/Jared_Maurtua/Untitled-3.png

And after that it has a little thing that says (WHATEVER) not installed!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:38:23 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Demo Blocked and Will not Install!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »
I tried installing the gsx demo but It is blocked.

No, it's not.

I have to turn off the UAC to use it.

There's no need to turn off UAC at all in order to use it. The installer needs admin privileges, but it simply means you'll have to confirm it to run, when UAC is on, which is how we normally test it. I confirm that having UAC or on off doesn't make any difference to any of our installers, they will work in both ways.

That "thing" is not saying "whatever", is saying that it hasn't found your vehicles_airport.bgl file, because it needs to patch it in order to remove the default Pushback truck.

However, that's not a problem, and the installation WILL continue normally, since you didn't had that file, you won't see a default Pushback truck anyway.

If you ran the GSX installer previously, it should have made a backup, named vehicles_airport.gsx, inside the Scenery\Global\Scenery folder. You can simply copy it to vehicles_airport.bgl and run the installer again, so you won't see that message anymore.

Not that it really makes a difference on the GSX installation: it will continue regardless of that message.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:43:51 pm by virtuali »

JMaurtua

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:52:47 pm »
Yes. I'm the admin and when I try to run even as admin, it won't open! And is the restoring files from backup normal? And by whatever it means a whole bunch of stuff wasn't installed. Here's a picture...
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s401/Jared_Maurtua/Untitled1.png
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:39:27 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:47:42 am »
Yes. I'm the admin and when I try to run even as admin, it won't open!

Yes, it will. It will just take a bit more with UAC, because Windows itself takes more time to open an installer with UAC on so, you were misled by thinking it "didn't open", but it was just Windows that was making its checks. Without UAC, it's simply faster but, as I've said, is not required.

You only had to wait a bit more but, if you were impatient and double-clicked the installer another time, two copies of it will cause issues of one stopping the other one, so you would be even more convinced the installer "didn't open", because at that point it really stopped.

So you turned off UAC and rebooted Windows, and the reboot what was fixed it, but since you turned off UAC as well, you believed it was the UAC what "fixed" the issue which, instead, was caused by the fact you didn't waited enough time for the installer to launch when UAC was on, and you likely launched another copy of the installer, causing it to be stuck.

Note that this doesn't have anything to do with GSX installer, it can happen with any installer of any product that requires admin rights, so it takes a bit more to start when UAC on.

And is the restoring files from backup normal?

If you are referring to the fact I told you to restore the vehicles_airport.bgl file from the backup a previous GSX install made, it's not normal, but it was required BECAUSE you didn't had the original file anymore, but BECAUSE GSX MADE a backup, you can restore it, the whole point of making a backup is to allow to restore the original file...

And by whatever it means a whole bunch of stuff wasn't installed. Here's a picture...

Again, I don't see anything in your screenshot that would indicate a "problem". Do you have Zurich installed ? Probably not so, it's absolutely normal and obvious the installer would not update its related file.

And besides, have you actually TRIED if GSX WORKS ?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:52:30 am by virtuali »

JMaurtua

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:22:11 am »
Yes I tried. CTRL+F12. >:(

And no. It was blocked. I saw the dialogue. It had the red shield with and X that said program has been blocked for your safety. It seems as you are denying any kind of block or failure this program has with my computer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:48:37 am »
And no. It was blocked. I saw the dialogue. It had the red shield with and X that said program has been blocked for your safety. It seems as you are denying any kind of block or failure this program has with my computer.

Now, you are describing the problem in an entirely different way. Since you posted screenshots that clearly show the program installing normally without problems, how could I possibly know that it was a message coming from ANOTHER product (and NOT from the installer) which was saying the program was blocked by THAT program ? You should have posted a screenshot of THAT OTHER program, since you posted a screenshot of the installer, it seemed as you were trying to point out a "problem" with our installer, which obviously isn't the case.

The "blocked" message is NOT caused by our installer, but by a defective antivirus program that has mistakenly identified the installer as a threat. As discussed many other times on the forum, when the cause of the problem is a defective antivirus program (you use Norton, maybe ?) other than switching to a more reliable antivirus that does't mistakenly detect legit products as threats, is a follows:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

JMaurtua

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:38 am »
It is NOT a program!!! It is WIDNOWS!!!!

It's not hard to understand. This thing will just not install at all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:07 am »
It is NOT a program!!! It is WIDNOWS!!!!

There's no such thing as "Windows" blocking the program, it's of course a PROGRAM. Maybe you were trying to say a "security program that comes with Windows", like the default firewall.

It's not hard to understand. This thing will just not install at all.

Of course will install. Fact that it doesn't, it only due to some mistake you made.

Now that you finally expressed yourself a bit better, saying that the message that is blocking the installer is coming from a program that comes with Windows, we might understand what the error was, and of course it wasn't the installer. If you posted such a screenshot initially, instead of posting screenshots showing the installer working normally, it would have been easier.

However, the error is likely caused by the fact that YOU put the GSX publisher ( "Virtuali s.a.s." ) in the list of untrusted publishers so, anything digitally signed by us will be rejected on your system. This can be done only by yourself, it can't happen automatically, so you probably did and forgot about it (or forgot to tell), and only you can undo this.

To fix this, go into Internet Explorer settings, under "Content" tab, select the "Publishers" button, then look for both Untrusted Publishers and Trusted Publishers, and remove all references to VIRTUALI, if you find any.