Author Topic: Review of GSX and FSPassengers, and other things  (Read 12904 times)

Apathy Man

Review of GSX and FSPassengers, and other things
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:47 am »
This is just a review on how I've been running GSX in its initial form with FS Passengers and a number of custom aircraft.

With GSX being an FSDT product, there was little doubt in my mind that this addon would encompass a great deal of detail, and as always, FSDT didn't disappoint. Within only a week after my purchase, there have already been numerous updates, which I'm sure is a good sign that these initial versions of GSX will only be scratching the surface of its capability.

One question I had to ask myself was if it would work well with the ACARS program I require for my VA, and also how it would work along with FS Passengers.

I suppose it comes down to the opinion of realism. For me, I'm the kind of person who likes to see the real things happen. Thus, while FSPassengers handles the physical end of my loading and unloading and simulation of my payload, GSX adds the graphical aspect of it. This has been something I've been looking around for many years, as I had been dissuaded by AES's unfortunate airport restrictions.

It took some working around, but I have managed to add GSX's functionality into every hand-made checklist I have for my relatively large stable of aircraft. As further improvements are included, I'll likely add even more functionality.

Below is how I'm making FSPax's simulation work in tandem with the graphical simulation of GSX:

15 minutes prior to departure
Extend Jetway
Open Pax Door
Open Cargo Doors
Request Catering
(This would also be an ideal place to put future additions such as Lav Service, GPU, AirStart, etc.)

10 minutes prior to departure
GSX Request Fueling
Load Passengers, Cargo and Fuel via FSPassengers (must be done within specified minimum fueling timing)
Begin Boarding in GSX (to display baggage loading process)

5 minutes prior to departure
(FSPax Loading Complete) Close Pax Door
(GSX Baggage Loading Complete) Close Cargo Doors
Request Pushback
Retract Jetway

Depo Time
Parking Brakes Released
GEX Pushback

The pushback feature is very nice, but there is one small problem with FSPax that you may find with other ACARS programs as well. When you first release your parking brakes, this counts per airline standards as the official "out" time of the flight (the beginning of the block time of the flight). However, once GEX asks you to set your parking brakes again at the release line, this will basically pause the block time in FSPassengers, and then reset the block time when the parking brakes are released again. Moreover, some ACARS programs could possibly register the second use of parking brakes as the end of the flight. This is not due in fault of GEX, but the fact that other programs will simply have to adapt to its realistic departure style eventually.

Now, the arrival process for me is tricky. Like many others, I enjoy flying on VATSIM. After landing, I tend to locate the general terminal where I know my airline tends to park. Other times, I have no idea what gate my airline uses, either because after flying through ATC and having little time to look online at an airport website for a gate for my airline, or because the information is simply unavailable.

This leaves one fairly important issue: Gate selection. If there is going to be a marshaller present, I know I need to select the correct gate. In smaller airports, with a single terminal and only a few gates, it's pretty easy to spot the marshaller. But in larger airports where there can be several terminals with many gates, it becomes quite a task to try and recognize it. Perhaps one day there may come a feature where the gates nearest to the aircraft display a marshaller when no gate is selected in the menu, but that is likely an enhancement later down the road.

Deboarding is quite simple:

Gate Arrival
Extend Jetway
Open Cargo Doors
Open Pax Door (FSPax will begin deplaning)
GSX Request Deboarding (to display baggage unloading process)

That's about it for using FSPax (save for ending the flight) with GSX. As far as my experiences go, they have so far been very pleasant.

Unlike many simmers nowadays who prefer to use payware aircraft, I use fully customized variants of payware and freeware models mixed with my own panels I have designed over the course of several years for use with an external FMC and a load planning spreadsheet tailored to each aircraft. It's just a preference of my own, as I like to fit each aircraft and its flight dynamics to my flying style and how I feel they should fly (Ie. no crazy overspooling engines at startup, no over-rated engines causing my aircraft to fly like a rocket). Because of this, and the use of many freeware models, I'm sort of stymied when it comes to proper positioning of baggage loaders, catering trucks, and so on, sometimes taking an hour to properly modify the exit locations in the aircraft.cfg files to match up with GSX. Although, with the progress I have seen updating GSX so far, there isn't much doubt in my mind that some sort of interface (or even better, graphical interface) should arise that would allow customized loading points on each aircraft.

All in all, a very solid add on with a plethora of promise. A fantastic job by the developers of this fine program, and hope that the progress continues.

To encompass what I mentioned above, here is a list of 'goodies' I'd like to see in GSX one day:
(Note: Some of these have already been mentioned on the forums, but other's haven't)

• Aircraft Loading Point Customization Manager
  • Marshallers at gates closest to aircraft when arrival gate not specified in menu
  • FS Payload Manager Dialog Box disabled option for all aircraft and Refueling timing option based on how much fuel is already on board
  • More than one train of tug/carts and more than one beltloader when multiple cargo exits are specified in aircraft.cfg
  • Lav/Deicing Trucks, GPU Units, Airstart Units.
  • Automation of Ground Services (Ie. in an automatic checklist as specified above) without having to request each service individually. Automated Ground Services could be customized with a few checkboxes
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:26:01 pm by Apathy Man »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Review of GSX and FSPassengers, and other things
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:31:45 pm »
    • Aircraft Loading Point Customization Manager

An airplane editor will surely com

• Marshallers at gates closest to aircraft when arrival gate not specified in menu

I don't see how this could ever work. The aircraft is likely taxiing when arriving at a gate, so the closest gate would keep changing.

• FS Payload Manager Dialog Box disabled option for all aircraft and Refueling timing option based on how much fuel is already on board

Refueling time is ALREDY dependent from how much fuel you actually boarded, which is of course not what you already have on board, but the difference between the total quantity which was on board BEFORE selecting the default Load Manager, and the total quantity AFTER you closed it.

For airplanes that have the default Fuel Loader disabled (all PMDG, for example, in the current version), since GSX can't possibly know when you opened/closed a custom fuel loader, there's a timing involved:

- the total quantity is read when you request the Refueling service

- from the moment the refueling truck prints the "Fuel truck in position"  message, you have 15 seconds to load the fuel using any custom load manager method

- if you insert the new quantity in time, the calculation of the *TIMING* involved will be based as above, with the difference between the total quantity before refueling, and the total quantity after.

- if you take more than 15 seconds, the refueling time will not be calculated, but will be the time specified as minimum refueling time in the Timings settings.

• More than one train of tug/carts and more than one beltloader when multiple cargo exits are specified in aircraft.cfg

Already discussed plenty of times, and already confirmed they will appear.

• Lav/Deicing Trucks, GPU Units, Airstart Units.

Already discussed plenty of times, and already confirmed they will appear.

• Automation of Ground Services (Ie. in an automatic checklist as specified above) without having to request each service individually. Automated Ground Services could be customized with a few checkboxes

Yes, this has been suggested too, but we first need to have a definite list of all services done.

Apathy Man

Re: Review of GSX and FSPassengers, and other things
    « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:20:51 pm »

I don't see how this could ever work. The aircraft is likely taxiing when arriving at a gate, so the closest gate would keep changing.

Hi Umberto,

Yes, this is much like I was suggesting. As the aircraft continues to taxi, (if such an option should be selected) the gates within a certain radius to the aircraft would be populated with a marshaller, and then removed if the aircraft passes by and the gate falls outside of the radius. I know it's probably a far fetched idea, but I was just trying to think of some sort of solution to having to select a specific gate when one may be unfamiliar with the gate layout of an airport upon arrival. This is most notable as I had mentioned with large airports with numerous terminals, where the selected gate could be well out of eyesight and hidden behind buildings or other terminals, making it difficult to find.

Also, very interesting fact about the fueling that I was not aware of. I'll amend that to the little checklist above. Thank you for pointing it out.

I in no way mean for this to be a gripe at all. I find the addon very useful for its intended purposes and am very happy with it thus far.
    « Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:23:25 pm by Apathy Man »