Author Topic: fsx crashes when scenery is installed  (Read 4055 times)

fedepenta

fsx crashes when scenery is installed
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:00:00 pm »
Hi
I purchased KLAX and KJFK scenery but everytime i install them fsx crashes. I used to have the compatibility mode turned on xp service pack 2 and i've never had problems. now, as i can't use the scenery with it turned on, i don't know if the problem is related to this or to the add-on manager.
please help me solving this because i really love your scenery and i would love to buy the rest :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: fsx crashes when scenery is installed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »
The XP compatibility mode shouldn't simply be used with FSX, it creates all sort of issues, including disappearing objects and other problems.

There are no reasons why you would need to turn it on, FSX has always been a Vista/Win7 compliant program, that mode is only needed for programs that didn't run at all under Vista/Win7

If you have been told to enable it, because other addons you installed don't respect the official Vista/Win7 directions (for example, no program should try to write into C:\Program Files), the correct way to fix this is not by enabling the XP compatibility mode but, instead, one of these 3 possible solutions:

- Run FSX As Administrator

OR

- Install FSX into a folder you created, and not under C:\Program Files

OR

- Change permissions for the Flight Sim folder, and add yourself to the users that have full control on that folder

Any of these 3 will fix any problems with other 3rd party non-Vista compliant addons that might require to enable XP Compatibility, without the associated issues the XP compatibility mode otherwise create.

fedepenta

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
i run fsx always as an administrator (i checked the option on fsx.exe's properties) and i have fsx installed on a own drive
how do i install the two sceneries?do i have to install it together?do i need to install the add on manager stand alone after the sceneries?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59:38 pm »
i run fsx always as an administrator (i checked the option on fsx.exe's properties)

This simply means you don't need to enable the XP Compatibility mode in the first place.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: the previous 3 solutions are NOT required by OUR products! A

ll our products are fully Vista/Win7 compliant, and they will work without having to do any of the 3 solutions I've proposed, which included the running FSX As Administrator. You can run FSX as Administrator or not, or you can use any of the other 2 solutions, it won't make any difference to our products, they will run either way.

Those 3 solutions are only needed if, for any reason, you have been suggested to enable the XP Compatibility mode, because of OTHER addons that might require it.

Since *THAT* doesn't work with our products, and it's not needed by FSX at all, I've offered the 3 solutions as alternatives to the XP Compatibility mode, since this is the only reason I might think of why you might have been suggested to enable the XP Compatibility mode, which shouldn't be used with FSX.

So, as long as you turn off the XP Compatibility mode, our products will work.

You need to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager after all the sceneries, only if your scenery installers are not the most current version and you are not sure if they are, and don't want to re-download them all.